Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: confusion
hyperalien
Neophyte
Member # 95496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperalien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if I can fully articulate my question in words but I'll give it a try.
I identify as female and was born as a female. This being true, I still find myself wanting to dress as a man although I do not have an aversion, and even like certain styles, to women's clothing. I do not want to become a man, in the sense of a sex change. Yet I feel like something clicks,fills a void, when I wear masculine clothing.
I really don't know what to do with this information about myself or what that means in terms of transgender,cross-dressing, etc. Can anyone give me some insight into my situation?

[ 04-08-2012, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: hyperalien ]

Posts: 2 | From: no where | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for starters, I don't think it's sound to expect that anyone who either wants to crossdress (but still feels like/identifies as the sex they were assigned at birth), or who feels more at home in dress of another sex as that feeling like the gender they want to present must be doing so because they feel an aversion to their assigned sex or its corresponding gender.

In other words, just like I can, say, like chocolate ice cream without feeling an aversion to vanilla, plenty of people can feel more at home in a given gender without feeling averse to others. Make sense? For sure, some people DO feel strongly negative about their assigned sex and gender who feel a greater affinity for another, but some don't, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smarties
Neophyte
Member # 93271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smarties     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hyperalien, I identify as female and feel the same way about clothing as you do (and have since I was a little kid). In my teenage years, especially, I struggled with many of the issues you bring up and I had a hard time trying to figure out where I "fit" gender-wise. It was actually listening to comedian Eddie Izzard discuss his experiences as a sometimes cross-dressing, heterosexual man that made me realize I didn't have to try and "fit" anywhere. In my early twenties I started to embrace the idea that my taste in clothing is a part of *my* identity, as a unique person, and not something that necessitated categorizing me into a specific group.
Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie Izzard being someone's educator on this makes me SO HAPPY.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smarties
Neophyte
Member # 93271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smarties     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad! Eddie Izzard is pretty fantastic. I remember having a light-bulb moment hearing him say that sometimes he felt like dressing in woman's clothing, other times in men's clothing, and that's just a part of who he is.
Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.