Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Coming out to my grad school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coming out to my grad school
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! So I have a specific problem in that I applied for grad school with my legal information, including name and gender. I'm going there in August, so I do have some time, but at the moment I just have the one contact in the Admissions department. I'd like to come out to her and get my records changed over to Djuna Ball, F, before I start establishing contact with professors and things could snowball. Does anyone have some advice for how to do that, or want to help me work on a draft email?

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djuna: it sounds like it'd be so fantastic for you to be able to start grad school as the self you are.

How far away is where you're going? I ask because I wonder if there's any chance you could just talk to admissions in person and get this all sorted out in one fell swoop.

If it's not nearby and that's not doable, do you know if this school has any in-writing policies or procedures for trans students?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Djuna: it sounds like it'd be so fantastic for you to be able to start grad school as the self you are.

I second that! [Smile]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, I'm going to York University in Toronto. So no in-person chats for now - but a trans student policy, I hadn't thought of that! It's a large university, they must have one. (You get that I'm used to my university which is pretty much a converted outhouse with adjoining cathedral, where I had to write the trans student policy if I wanted one, right?) [Razz]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I get it.

So, why don't you check, then check back in here?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

So I couldn't find anything on their website, but I shot the university a Facebook question (because my account is not associated with my legal name). They didn't get back to me yet, so I guess it'll be after the weekend.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Perfect. Let's see what they say, then take it from there!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SansNom:
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:

I second that! [Smile]
Thirded!

And knowing that you're coming to Canada, you'll have an even better chance at starting a fresh slate since it is so far away from where you currently live. (Oh, and YAY CANADA!)

And I don't know myself, but I would assume that York would have, if not a policy, at least some way in which they tend to deal with trans students.

[ 05-11-2012, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: moonlight bouncing off water ]

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, did you see this yet?

http://www.yorku.ca/ywc/ywc/

You could contact them too and ask any questions that you have.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Moonlight, thanks for that link! It seems useful, I'm definitely going to get in touch with them once I'm getting ready to go. [Smile]

Okay, so I got this back on Facebook: "Hi Djuna! Transgendered students can submit a letter to the Registrar's Office indicating that they want their name changed and they can also request that gender information be changed or removed from their record."

I sent a follow up question about visa documents, but never heard back. Since I've gone the route of changing my legal name now, I think that's fine, but I still need to notify the university somehow.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.