Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Wrestling?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wrestling?
Elizabeth Lee
Neophyte
Member # 78504

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Elizabeth Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone! I am a little upset because I've always wanted to join wrestling, but unfortunately, only boys can wrestle. The thing is, let's say in soccer, basket ball, etc. they have a girl's team and a boys team. When it comes to wrestling, only boys can do it. It is not fair! It's sexist! It pisses me off! It's like saying girls can't be strong. I wrestle with my cousins a lot. Eventually the rules are gonna change but I'll be totally out of high school. The problem is, I'll be missing out. Can somebody please give me advice on this? Also, why is it that only boys can wrestle? Don't you find it sexist?
Posts: 14 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not true that only boys can wrestle. Girls can and DO wrestle and there are girls' wrestling teams.
http://www.usgwa.com/

Did you try to join the wrestling team at your school and they told you you can't because you were not a boy? If so, have you thought about talking with the principle about this? I don't believe schools are allowed to discriminate like that. I have known girls who joined the school's wrestling team even though girls and boys were not separated. They usually match people by weight, so you would could wrestle with boys your size.

And yes, I absolutely find it sexist if you can't do wrestling in your school but boys can. [Frown]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 871 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth Lee
Neophyte
Member # 78504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah it's my school that won't let girls join. The only girl that was allowed was the leader's daughter. She graduated. But I'm not sure about talking to the principal. I could talk to my counselor. I'm a senior and this is my last year in school. I just hope it's not too late to join.

--------------------
I am homo! Hear me roar! Elizabeth Lee! Elizabeth Me!

Posts: 14 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've heard of Title IX, right? "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."

Your school apparently has to:

Provide athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment,

OR

Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex,

OR

Provide full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

-----------------------------

What this actually means in practice, I don't know, but if there's already been a girl on the wrestling team, and if there is no girls' wrestling team, then I would be surprised if they had a leg to stand on re excluding you on the basis of your sex. I'd advise you to take this up with somebody. If nothing else, you'll be making a point and paving the way for wrestling-interested girls after you.

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

Guys wrestling leagues do allow girls to join.

It's more than just similar weights, they have to be the exact same weight, within the pound* (Exceptions to this are rare, and occur outside the weight classes girls usually wrestle in)

Talk to everyone about it.

A heads up though: It's very awkward for guys to wrestle girls though, and it's slightly less awkward to practice with them. If you do get on, it's not going to be easy by a long shot.

Also, the wrestling with your cousins- is it play wrestling, or roman-grecko?

Edit: When I was looking at the scene, in the lowest classes, girls were winning all the tournaments. This could also be pointed out!

[ 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Selkie ]

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elizabeth, as someone who used to wrestle, I found that a good way to deal with any kind of discrimination is to politely point out that although XY (usually depicted as 'men's') and XX (usually described as women's) bodies are slightly different (due to their different ways to contributing to reproduction), there is no weaker or stronger body overall.

Those XX ('women') and those XY ('men') have different centers of gravity. Also, XXs have greater lower body strength whereas XYs have greater strength in the upper body.

This doesn't mean that you can't wrestle each other, but you may have slightly different combat styles.

[ 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.