Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Male Body Hair Shaving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Male Body Hair Shaving
SuperZeZ
Neophyte
Member # 47477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperZeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm a straight male teenager, and I have a problem.

I've always felt uncomfortable with body hair, and a few months ago I started shaving it. Recently, however, my parents, who I've always known to be understanding and open-minded, strongly urged me to stop. They even went so far as to try and convince me that ingrown hair infections could force me to get a limb amputated. They told me that people will come to conclusions about me, possibly assuming that I'm homosexual (which I'm not). My dad used an anecdote about his thoughts on a man with a blue mohawk as an example.

I have my thoughts on this matter, but I'd like to hear the opinions of people on this board about male body hair.

Posts: 2 | From: America! | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mma
Activist
Member # 47280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really beside the point, because it's your body and you can shave it if you want to, but does your mom shave?

I'm pretty sure if it was that big a risk, we'd have half the population walking around with limbs missing, and we just don't see that.

Also, I'm going to refer you to this FAQ already on the site. It specifically says that any threads started on this topic will be locked, so let's just stick to what's there already, OK?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/003629.html

--------------------
http://www.safeplace.org

1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.ndvh.org

Posts: 116 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperZeZ
Neophyte
Member # 47477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperZeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, I see. My main point was regarding the social implications of shaving, and if they actually exist.
Posts: 2 | From: America! | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mma
Activist
Member # 47280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this point kinda says it all:

"Q: If women shave their pubic hair, should men do it, too?
A: Only if you really want to. Some people prefer their partners shave. Others don't. So if you really need to get your partner's input on this, then ask. But ultimately, it's your hair. You can shave, trim, or style it if you want. Pubic grooming says nothing about your sexual orientation, it's just a personal preference."

We can extend it to the rest of your body's hair. If you feel most comfortable shaving your hair, then just don't worry about the people who wouldn't be attracted to someone who shaves their hair.

There will be both men and women who think that either/both/neither men and women should shave some or all of their body hair. It's really not worth wasting your time worrying about what other people think about it, because if it's important to you, it's going to be important to you regardless of what other people think.

That's true for anything you want to think about that doesn't harm anyone (or isn't illegal-- there are things that you might reconsider simply because they're illegal even if they harm nobody).

--------------------
http://www.safeplace.org

1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.ndvh.org

Posts: 116 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know too? There's social implications about a lot of things. The way someone walks, talks, sits, stands, dressed, does their hair, if they wear make-up. If we followed what society thought and said, well there would be a WHOLE lot of people that were in a WHOLE load of trouble.

Whether or not any person shaves, no matter their gender or sexual orientation tell you little more than simply they don't like having hair where they shaved. For instance, swimmers (male and female) that swim in speed competitions often shave to increase speed. Some people shave their legs, others arms, some shave everywhere. It's a personal preference based on what you feel and what feels right for you. And we can't always worry about what people that don't know us think, and your friends may be more supportive than your family if you simply explain you don't like the feel of it.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.