Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » What does it mean to be a _________ ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does it mean to be a _________ ?
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gender can be a pretty tricky thing to define. Part biology, part social construction, part culture....there is a lot that goes into it.

But what does it mean for you to be whatever/however you define your gender? What does it mean for you to be a woman? A man? Genderqueer? Any other gender with which you may identify?

How do you come to your own definition and construct that for yourself?

I identify as male, but think that I've constructed my own ideas about masculinity and what it involves or does not involve. I strongly identify as feminist (which isn't a gender but maybe it should be!). I think about how I learned "male" to be and disagree with a lot of it, and find myself involved with deconstructing and reconstructing maleness for myself so that it feels more home-y.

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CJT:
I think about how I learned "male" to be and disagree with a lot of it, and find myself involved with deconstructing and reconstructing maleness for myself so that it feels more home-y.

Really well put! I'm often not sure what it means to be ___, but I'm a big advocate of understanding that your relationship with identity categories is a personal one, and that that relationship is a fluid one.

On a related note, I am also male, but have always been hesistant with identifying as 'a feminist' - as I'm not sure, from an activist/political perspective, that it is entirely appropriate. I tend to use profeminist as a term which shows where I'm coming from while recognizing my gender privilege. But like I said, I'm occasionally conflicted about this.

--------------------
www.criticalmasculinities.com

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I realize how practical it is - at least for statistical purposes - to label myself.

But, really, I'm just myself.

I might be male because I have been raised as a boy: society expects me to do this and wear that, to say this and be that, and I conformed as I feel more or less comfortable being a man.
I might as well be a feminist, as many of my friends are, and as I am well aware of the gender privilege and cisgender privilege I have.

However, I'm not a full-time XY-er. Sometimes, I'm just Idir.

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.