Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Men, Women and Reproductive Divides

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Men, Women and Reproductive Divides
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are ways you think men and women might think or feel differently about pregnancy and reproduction, and why?

Obviously, the simplest difference is that it's women who can become pregnant, while men cannot.

But what about differences like the fact that for conception to happen (when it's not via IVF or other means), men will usually experience sexual pleasure and orgasm (and thus, ejaculation), while orgasm or sexual pleasure has zip to do with the female side of reproduction? What other differences can you think of?

And how do you think men and women can best bridge these kinds of divides?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obviously, the simplest difference is that it's women who can become pregnant, while men cannot.
... I'm not sure if this is related, but many men also want to be able to decide about abortions, saying that they should be able to decide about the abortion and that abortion shouldn't be legal without the consent of the impregnator.
I think that's total bollocks, I mean, especially using arguments like that they're the father too.
It's not like the man is gonna carry that foetus for 9 months, and hey, it's not a life, so you ain't no dad yet [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Heather, don't be so quick to say that men can't get pregnant! [Wink] We know that not an insignificant number of transmen will cease hormone treatments (or never have been on them to start with) and get pregnant every year. The recent case with Thomas Beattie has been making the news and has served to highlight a lot of ignorance around transgender issues...

...and has also called into question how we define "man" and how we define "woman". Lots of folks have been saying that we can't call Thomas Beattie a man because he's pregnant, and men can't do that. So does reproductive capability define someone as a woman (or, at least, as "not a man"? Does that mean that those who have not yet ovulated for the first time are not women, or those who have had hysterectomies are not women, or those who have passed menopause are not women? What does it take then to be a man? Is it a penis? Is it sperm? It's pretty interesting!

But also maybe a tiny bit off topic from your actual question [Smile]

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have perhaps qualified what I said by mentioning that I was talking about men sexed so at birth and those with male privilege, and also am talking about women who have the capacity to become pregnant. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.