Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » What Is There To Expect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Is There To Expect?
Lily Luna
Neophyte
Member # 37575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily Luna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been a while since I last posted and have gotten to know more and more about myself. What I need now is maybe someone who can contribute some knowledge to me. Maybe give me a little low down on what transition and hormones and surgery and all that is like.I think it'd help if I knew what to expect so I don't run blindly through the dorrs and not know what to do at all. anyone have any input??

[ 05-08-2008, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: TransMetalhead ]

--------------------
How can we have others make us happy?? If we are not happy with ourselves, first??

Posts: 15 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TSuper
Neophyte
Member # 38472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TSuper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TransMetalhead. It's nice to meet you, and I'm glad to be able to respond here to tell you that you have plenty of support. Sometimes you just have to look closely for it.
Now the place where I found the most information about what is clinically reffered to as gender dysphoria is http://www.tsroadmap.com/start/archive.html. That being said I'll try to get you a basic low down. First off, I would suggest counseling right off the bat, regardless of your personal opinions or pride, it has helped me A LOT. Oftentimes, your pshyciatrist (I suggest going to a psychiatrist, especially considering you'll need one later) can also help refer you to people who can help your transition. Then, after counseling and if your parents or whomever else you may need to deal with are ready, you can start hormone therapy. After hormone therapy for a while, when your looking sufficiently female, you do the 1-year living as a woman thing. Basically you're living as if you are a girl for a year. If the psychs decide you pass you get notes and if you are 18 or over you can get SRS (sexual reassignment surgery). Those are the basics. Of course there are other surgerys you can get that you may or may not need, and I am not sure of the age limits on those. I hope I was most helpful to you, and if you have any more questions just ask =P. My resources are your resources.

[ 05-17-2008, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: TSuper ]

--------------------
Its all in the way one looks at the world

Posts: 13 | From: Unites States | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily Luna
Neophyte
Member # 37575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily Luna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, but what are the requirements to pass the 1 year trial?

--------------------
How can we have others make us happy?? If we are not happy with ourselves, first??

Posts: 15 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those standards don't tend to be universal, and they're also frequently shifting.

So, it tends to depend on where you are, and what the standards of your specific therapist are.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily Luna
Neophyte
Member # 37575

May be going off to Washington at 18 when I finish high school.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without sitting in the office with whatever therapist you'd see there, I have no way of knowing what standards he or she would go by. And again, between now and then, some of the general standards may change.

But if you don't want to see or call a therapist and ask, you can look at some general current guidelines for the RLT (real-life test, which is one common term for that year -- which is usually a minimum, not a maximum) here: http://www.transfamily.org/hbsoc.htm#Real

It's -- IMO -- a pretty sticky wicket, since by most standards, it doesn't mean passing in your own way, but adopting very stereotypical gender roles and presentation in order to pass. If those stereotypes fit you, great. Otherwise, it's something that's pretty tough for a lot of people in transition since it can feel like one more way you have to try to pretend to be something you're not. Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere where some form of that is elective at this point.

However, before getting to that point, a person will have had therapy for some time and other preparations for dealing with that, so while I've rarely heard anyone say it's easy, plenty of people cope with it.

So, if you're really feeling like a full transition is what's right for you, it'd be a good idea to at least have a couple appointments with a trans-friendly therapist or two to try and find someone you like, and get the skinny on the whole process.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily Luna
Neophyte
Member # 37575

Yes, But I also want to know more about surgery as well and the legal name change process. And about any side effects of hormones. And any pain involved, I wanna be ready when it comes.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

...and that's why you want to talk to a trans-friendly therapist. They are there to talk to you about all of these things, and someone local is going to be able to be much more well-versed in the sitch where you are than I am. They also are going to do a good job of not flopping this all in your lap at once; SRS is a faraway issue with someone who hasn't even yet started therapy, and a goal not everyone will even reach.

Honestly, I'd likely do exactly the kind of research you could do yourself to find out about things like name changes in your state.

But too, if you want more general information before therapy, a very good place to start is with http://www.tsroadmap.com

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.