Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » late bloomer trying to catch up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: late bloomer trying to catch up
diddy
Neophyte
Member # 36330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything was good from age zero to 12. I was ready to be a teen, to be lost and confused and then figure it all out. Happy endings and all.

Then my parents got divorced and decided to be kids again. I played the adult until I was out of college. And it became habit. I met a girl, I married her, we had a kid; I tried to recreate what I lost as a kid. She was the first and only partner I've ever had. She left me in August for another guy.

In the past few years, I've just been figuring all of this out, and giving myself time to grow up a bit (emotionally). I started to catch up emotionally, but as I dropped my defenses, I started thinking things that scared me and threatened my (already fragile, artificial) identity.

I noticed that I was attracted to men *and* women. I noticed that I was dissatisfied as a man, noticed that I'd been censoring thought after thought--wishing I were a woman (I've always cross dressed). Maybe not a woman. I just started realizing that I didn't need to act so masculine and that censoring my effeminate tendencies was only making things worse.

The problem is that I don't know where to go from here. I have a life now, a kid, a job, people all around me who know me as the person I've acted to be. Like any other teen, I need time to figure things out and space to be myself. But I've put myself in a position that feels devoid of time and space.

Tell me things will work out. I'm in therapy now, but I just need to hear it from people who've been through it.

Posts: 2 | From: pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things will work out! And good for you for getting help. So little people who actually need it, seek it. So congrats on that part. I hope it's going well.

I know right now you're confused, but know that you don't have to make a decision right now, or ever, about your orientation or identity. You don't have to be identified as Heterosexual, Bi-sexual, homosexual, or anything for that matter.

If your attractions to men are greater than your attractions for women, or equal, no one needs to know that but you. Those who need to know will when you are ready to tell them.

You don't have a time frame to figure this out. You can take as much time as you need.

Also, acting as someone you aren't doesn't hide the person you are. And family or friends should be there to support you no matter which gender you identify as or your sexuality.

Is there anyone other than your therapist you can speak to? A close family member or friend? Telling someone you are someone other than the person they think you are can be frightening and painful. But playing a role that is entirely fake can be painful as well, and it isn't being fair to yourself.

I hope this works out for you. I haven't been in your situation, but I saw that no one else has posted and I wanted to try to give you a little hope. I hope I helped. Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diddy
Neophyte
Member # 36330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess you're right that there's no need for deadlines or labels. It would be nice if there was a one word answer, but it doesn't seem that simple [Smile]

Though what do I tell people that I'm close to, if not a label? Especially if I haven't chosen one or never do? It's further complicated by the fact that I've started to dress more androgynously. I know people are wondering. I tried to talk to my ex about it (she identifies as bi), but she was less than accepting. She was mostly resentful that I hadn't figured all of this out earlier. My mom is extremely homophobic and my dad is judgmental. Maybe the best thing to do is find friends without any prior notions about who I am and not worry about the rest.

Posts: 2 | From: pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.