Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » define feminism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: define feminism
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I read through posts I get a feel that a lot of people have a lot of different views of what feminism is.
I can't say I'm well read on feminism or its history or any of that, but my belief was that; we live in a patriarchal (sorry forget how to spell!!) society, and that we would like to have matriarchal influences in positions of power as well as equal rights between men and women.

I don't know if that's the original, or if it's the base but there are alot more specifics or am i completely off?

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone sees feminism as something a bit different, Personally I think its a woman who speaks her mind, Wants to be equal with man, not treated differently in society because she has a vagina. Also A woman who believes its a womans choice to choose what she does with her body. Just a very vocal woman about what she believes is feminist to me.

But theres this cool thing on AGA about it, you should read it, its pretty interesting:
http://www.allgirlarmy.org/feminism_is

It kinda has all these diff views on feminism. Thats also a really cool forum and site so you should check it out anyway.

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we live in a patriarchal (sorry forget how to spell!!) society, and that we would like to have matriarchal influences in positions of power as well as equal rights between men and women.

Just as a point of information:

Nope, feminism per se doesn't involve believing that we ought to have a matriarchy.

(You could probably find some people who define themselves as feminist and believe that, but it's not at all a mainstream feminist belief).

The goal of feminism is equality, not reversing the current system and having women oppress men.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you're earnestly interested in feminism, why NOT read up about it?

One book I really like to recommend as a primer for younger women which I think is just fantastic is "Manifesta" by Amy Richards and Jennifer Baumgardner. It does an awesome job of distilling the basics per theory, giving you some good history of the feminist movement AND tying in current actions, organizations, initiatives, goals and theories.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i call myself a feminist and i define that just as surferchk07 does really
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.