Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Lesbian women have better body image

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lesbian women have better body image
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Advocate reported this:

quote:
Lesbians are twice as likely as straight women to be overweight, increasing their risk for health problems and obesity-related death. According to Reuters, the American Journal of Public Health undertook one of the first large studies to look at obesity among lesbians. Researchers at the Boston University School of Public Health examined a national survey of 6,000 women, finding that lesbians were more than two times more likely to be overweight or obese than straight women.

The researchers also looked at smaller studies that suggest high rates of obesity among lesbians and the possible causes.

“The results of these studies indicate that lesbian women have a better body image than do heterosexual women,” the researchers wrote.

The study's authors said they were not as convinced that lesbians are more muscular than straight women, resulting in a higher body mass index and less body fat.

I'll tell you that upon reading that, especially the bolded bit, I just nodded my head, because that's been my experience with women both in person, in my life, as well as in droves, in my work. Certainly, there are exceptions, but I would agree with what the study found (and did, and ever have, find it additionally interesting that lesbian women often seem to have better body image even when they are heavier than other women).

And ultimately, I think it has less to do with what one given man a given hetero women, or women who dates men is seeing, and more to do wityh how much greater influenced hetero women, or women who date men, are by the cultural beauty standards set and held up by straight men and hetero culture.

Thoughts?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it makes a lot of sense. Actually being out and openly being non-straight means that you're living outside of hetero-normative thought structures. So if you're already not included simply because of who you date, why bother keeping up with what's 'cool' and 'pretty' and trying to strive for it?

I know that I started feeling a whole lot better about myself and my body right around the time that I started to accept my sexuality, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuNnY
Activist
Member # 33753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuNnY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon our bodies can swing either way. Ive recently come out to my self but not to anyone else yet. and already im feeling more confident about my body and my mind feels clearer, this is helping me keep fit, its like being on a natural high of being pleased with my self all the time [Smile] [Smile] i love it.
does anyone else get this sorta thing???

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted :)

Posts: 40 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do see some merit in this study (quite a bit, actually). I mean, once you accept one aspect of yourself (your sexual orientation), it's not that far a leap to the realization that "Hey, I am who I am, and and all of me is great the way it is."

I know after I came out to my parents, I felt a lot more comfortable in my own skin. Honestly, when I was in sixth and seventh grade, I wouldn't even wear shorts or a skirt that fell anywhere above my ankles because I loathed my legs. Things have improved a lot since then, let me tell you.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by September:

I know that I started feeling a whole lot better about myself and my body right around the time that I started to accept my sexuality, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Im about the same as Joey with that.
This survey really doesnt suprise me at all but the key question really is how do we get heteros to learn to accept/love their body like how lesbians seem to do even when they are usually more over weight?
I mean this society atleast to heteros the norm and what is pushed on them is thin is in.

But I guess to lesbians your already outside of the hetero norm as Joey points out so you arnt in, in the first place so it doesnt really bother you? but how do we really get this to change with heteros?

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as I said, I think it has a lot to do with the way that things like advertising are presented to hetero women, and also how very pervasive the pressures can be to appear in such a way that is (somehow) about being attractive to men, or conforming to the hegemonious standards they set, at all times.

So, seems to me that so long as those standards stay so pervasive, and so long as those messages are sent so clearly and so loudly, we can only expect so much process. After all, if 19 people tell you something is wrong with your body and how you look, the one voice saying something different can be really hard to hear.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well when you look at the results of this survey alongside results of different surveys showing the prevalence of eating disorders and poor body image amongst gay men, it can be quite easily correlated with the idea that being attracted to, and therefore worrying about your image in the sight of, men can lead to these problems.

There is definitely less of an emphasis, in my experience, on bodyweight and physicality on the lesbian scene than on the gay men's. I've worked in a gay bar and have been a lesbian ( [Wink] ) for quite a while now and the results of this survey are no surprise.

And I know, that as a lesbian, I feel so outside the hetero culture of fashion and beauty that beyond the teenage obsession with being thin(mainly borne out of terrifying control issues) worrying about my bodyweight, seems silly.

Perhaps when fashion magazines start selling to lesbians, we'll see a depressing downturn in body image amongst dykes.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not surprised that lesbians have an higher body image but I do have to admit that I was a bit surprised when the study said that there is a lot of obesity in that group.

Sure, it might be directly linked to higher body image but how ? Maybe they don't feel so guilty about their weight and so don't go into dieting as easily as some heterosexual woman ? I'm just trying to figure out that, so any ideas ?

[ 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turtlehead
Neophyte
Member # 33814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turtlehead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it has something to do with the lack of presentation of female bodies to men in the lesbian community. Recently I heard my RA at school say, “My boyfriend’s gone for a week! I don’t have to shave my legs!” The response of other women was congratulatory. I identify as a lesbian, and I haven’t shaved anything in two years. I think my RA’s comment exemplifies the way women in our society are taught to present themselves as objects for men to consume. Men don’t want hairy legs. Men don’t want fat girls.

In my experiences with the lesbian community at my school, no one’s really concerned about their weight or their appearance. It’s more accepting of however people want to be. Being slightly overweight doesn’t affect your chances with a girl. In contrast, the gay male community at my school and heterosexual community are more focused on appearance. Gay men must be skinny, wear designer clothes and muscular. Straight women must be thin, blonde, white, etc etc.

I was previously in a relationship with a boy in high school and I shaved my legs and dressed up occasionally more to please him than me. Now, I accept myself for who I am, and that does not involve being thin, shaving or being clothing-conscious.

I also feel like my entire self image has improved after coming out to myself and others. I am more in tune with who I am, and that person is amazing.

Posts: 3 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neoonline
Neophyte
Member # 33873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neoonline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well If you look at other angle may be its because there are no chemical reactions happening sexually like in intercourse ?

--------------------
Sex is not the sole entity in a relationship. There are commitment,trust,and companionship.
One will realize them in unconditional love.

Posts: 21 | From: Matrix | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

There's nothing chemically different that happens to anyone with heterosexual intercourse than happens with other heterosexual or same-sex sexual activities.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

neoonline
Neophyte
Member # 33873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neoonline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I can as in this forum since, sexuality lesbian or gay has come in to discussion.

I presume Lesbianism will come because of slightly male like char. in a woman and vice versa in gay.

Correct me if I am wrong I just want to understand the internal psychology of both.

--------------------
Sex is not the sole entity in a relationship. There are commitment,trust,and companionship.
One will realize them in unconditional love.

Posts: 21 | From: Matrix | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'm not even sure what you're asking, honestly.

But if you're suggesting that all lesbian women are masculine or butch, that's fallacy. There are plenty of butch lesbians, and there are also plenty of femme lesbians, as well as lesbians that don't identify with either.

Same goes with gay men.

In other words, sexual orientation and gender identity are two different things, and a given gender identity doesn't make a given sexual orientation any more or less likely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it is how one defines obesity. So far no one has pointed out the obesity is the number one cause for type 2 diabetes in adults. It also encourages heart disease. Are we saying obesity is a good thing here irrespective of the sexual orientation of a person?

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.