Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » another male vs. female instinct thingy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another male vs. female instinct thingy
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my dad was telling me about this book he read by a female psychologist, on how women's brains are structurally different from men's with the result that they are naturally more perceptive in social situations and towards other people's feelings. Basically this is an argument explaining why men appear to be less sensitive to people's feelings/needs, in general. I typically have ample suspicions of anything "scientific" that excuses undesirable behaviors in a dominant population, but I'd like to hear other people's take on this issue now. Thoughts?
Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is true but not necisarily in all cases. for example they did a study about the effects of alchohal and horniness. It showed then when men consumed a bit of alchohal their hornyness level went up but if they consumed an extreme amount they would have problems "getting it up" they did the same experiement with women and found that alchohal did not increase horniness in women and they are currently doing more studies to try to find out why. I am a woman and personally i do get more horny after consuming alchohal. These tests are for the majority not exclusive
Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joga Bonito
Neophyte
Member # 30790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joga Bonito     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that male or female, people's brains just function differently. I don't see how that excuses "typical" male or "typical" female behavior. I know plenty of woman that couldn't care less about your feelings, and a few men that actually do.

It just depends on the person. Some people fake apathy becasue society has said that that is what they are supposed to do, or vis versa. Really, it all depends, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that any amount of scientific studies can excuse asinine behavior. No offense.

--------------------
sometimes, all you can do is laugh

Posts: 20 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, the study was not saying whether or not men /did/ care about people's feelings, the study was saying man have a naturally more difficult time /reading/ people's feelings, and /that/ is supposedly what results in men acting less sensitively in social situations and with partners.
Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deviant_queer
Neophyte
Member # 30558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deviant_queer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hunnybunny888, perhaps you get horny because your inhibitions are lowered?

iheartdc, I have indeed heard of this study. While I don't doubt that men and women probably have structurally different brains, I also think that is in part due to socialization. There was some study (I hate that I can never remember where or when I read/heard about them) which used monkeys. Basically what happened is they taught some monkeys to do manual things only with their right hand, their left hand, or both hands. After tons of repetition and longitudinal brain scans, they found the the part of the brain which corresponded to the the left or right hand actually grew on the monkeys who did everything with either their left hand or their right hand. Sooooooo...in a long long shot, I suppose I am implying that perhaps a reason the brains of men and women are structurally different is because they are taught different roles in society. After enough repetition, perhaps, parts grow in the women which aren't pronounced in the men or parts grow in the men which aren't pronounced in the women. I believe according to brain scans, gay male brains were different from straight mens brains, but I don't believe lesbians and straight women's brains were different.

Anyway, I just thought that up. *shrug*

Posts: 8 | From: Minnesota/Ohio | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bebop Bodhisattva
Neophyte
Member # 30879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bebop Bodhisattva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iheartdc:
I typically have ample suspicions of anything "scientific" that excuses undesirable behaviors in a dominant population, but I'd like to hear other people's take on this issue now. Thoughts?

Don't think of it as "excusing" the behavior. Think of it as knowing your enemy. If we ignore the evidence surrounding an undesirable behavior, how are we to conquer it? If something has an instinctual basis, odds are very unlikely that it can be dealt with if you're trying to deal with if it's not.

--------------------
"This war all around us is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad Dumier, Deus Ex

Posts: 25 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Often times what was once accepted as "science" is now considered wrong. Scientific knowledge changes a lot, and don't think for a minute that cultural beliefs don't influence how studies are designed/interpreted. Also FYI, scientific studies do not /prove/ anything, but rather they seek to gather evidence supporting or casting doubt on a hypothesis.

I'm not saying it's not possible for things to have an instinctual basis, but rather I'd like a lot more possibilities ruled out first. For instance, in East Africa it's very important for people from the time they're little to show social grace, and /that/, as opposed to any kinds of abstract, academic achievements, is what is considered "intelligence". Therefore, I would like to know if also in those cultures men are generally considered to be "more socially adept". Don't you think that's a good question?

[ 10-11-2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: iheartdc ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.