Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Gender clothing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gender clothing
Biguy(formerly AmberTS)
Neophyte
Member # 29192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biguy(formerly AmberTS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just was thinking, isn't it a little odd how girls can wear guys clothes but not vice/verca? I know it was all part of the feminist movement, but it strikes me as an "I wish I could do that" thing. For instance, a girl can wear Jeans, a T-shirt, and and sneakers, even boy-cut versions, without being seen as wierd. It's only fair that guys should be able to wear a skirt, A feminine top, and heels.

--------------------
Used to think I was transsexual, after further consideration, a feminine bisexual male =P

Posts: 25 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I think that would be great. I think that the reason it doesn't happen is because society still sees femininity as being inferior to masculinity in some way-- for instance, you'll still hear things like "don't act like a girl/sissy" being used to insult boys in playgrounds. When a man dresses in culturally designated "feminine" clothes, he's perceived as diminishing himself, while when a woman dresses in culturally designated "masculine" clothes, she's seen as "improving" herself. However, I do also think that women who break the bounds of femininity too far often risk being labelled as "leabians" or "hairy-legged extremists" by people who consider these derogatory terms (of course "lesbian" and "hairy-legged" should not be insults, but unfortunately a lot of people do use them this way).

If you want to change this situation, then whenever you hear a person disparaging a man for being "silly" or "girly" or feminine in any way, insist that they stop using femininity as an insult around you. Likewise, tell people that you think it's inappropriate to disparage a woman for not dressing in a feminine way.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fall Out Boy
Activist
Member # 28454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fall Out Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now, thanks to the fine guys & girls here, don't get worried about wearing eyeliner and it's not important as to what people think, as long as your okay with dressing like that. Most of these people are sterotype and shouldn't be listened to. I personally wouldn't wear a skirt or high heels, but i see your point exactly. Its the same with homosexual lovers, and lesbains lovers, with many gay men suffer from bein insulted, whilst Lesbains are free to run around... Its all sterotype really

--------------------
I don't wanna be the one, the battles always choose, cuz inside I know, that I'm the one confused.

Posts: 45 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its the same with homosexual lovers, and lesbains lovers, with many gay men suffer from bein insulted, whilst Lesbains are free to run around...
Fall Out Boy, that is not at all true. Lesbians suffer from discrimination just as much as gay men do. While it is true that, in some circumstances, lesbians are considered more socially acceptable because they are the object of heterosexual male fantasy, this does not mean that they suffer less from homophobia. It's just as bad for someone to say that "lesbians are hot" in a derogatory, objectifying way as it is for someone to say "gay people should burn in hell."
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnowLhite
Neophyte
Member # 29534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnowLhite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother wore dresses as a baby and a toddler, and now has waist-length hair (he's like 25) both of which are generally considered feminine.
Personally I don't mind what guys wear, dresses, skirts, pants, whatever. So long as you're happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
I'm from a rather alternative upbringing, and my ma aways encouraged an open mind-set.
Just so's you know that there are others out there! [Wink]

--------------------
"Love and let love."

~Snowy~

Posts: 32 | From: HELL also Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boldly Obscure
Neophyte
Member # 28374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boldly Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there is actually a song by Madonna about this very topic... I think it's called 'What it Feels Like For a Girl'. The introduction part goes:
quote:
Girls can wear jeans
And cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
'Cause it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading
But secretly you'd love to know what it's like
Wouldn't you
What it feels like for a girl

Which I think sums up a lot of this issue.

As for the whole men wearing skirts and heels thing, I think that maybe part of the reason that most of them choose not to is that they are pretty dang uncomfortable. A lot of the clothing that is considered feminine is just plain impractical when you think about it, whereas a lot of more masculine clothing is quite convenient for daily living. The reason for the constraining feminine clothing might have something to do with men wanting to supress women and make it more difficult for them to fend for themselves... corsettes, for example.
(not that practicality is the only issue in play here- it's definitely a lot more than that, but I'm sure that convenience definitely comes into play for most people when they choose what to wear)

[ 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Aranel ]

Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crsteen
Neophyte
Member # 24600

Icon 10 posted      Profile for crsteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a high school teacher and there seems to be a trend among "emo" boys, especially those in bands, to wear "girl pants" or jeans styled for girls. a HUGE debate broke out in my honors (sic) english class about this issue. i simply told my students that mick jagger and mod boys from england were wearing "girl pants" 40 years ago. *sigh kids today.
Posts: 8 | From: nj | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA!

So, so true. Hell, ELVIS wore them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yuliya
Neophyte
Member # 29649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yuliya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a girl and I usually wear guy clothes, but I wish I was a boy so I could wear girl clothes and turn heads and make people freak out.
Posts: 3 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiteshirt
Neophyte
Member # 24034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whiteshirt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though there are still gendered clothes (men's and women's sections in the stores, etc.) I think the lines get blurrier every day. It always amuses me that physically, skirts seem better suited for male anatomy and pants for female anatomy. Even though men may get some attention (wanted and not) for wearing "women's" clothes like skirts, I believe that people should get to wear whatever type of clothes they are comfortable in.

Few things are more important that feeling at home in one's own skin, and by extension, clothes.

Plus, there is something truly fabulous about seeing a man and a woman standing at the entrance to public restrooms, she in trowsers and he in a flowing skirt.

Posts: 4 | From: LA, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeta
Activist
Member # 20185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whiteshirt, that's so amusing, as in a lot of parties I go to, the guys use the girl's bathroom -as the floor is cleaner, and he's wearing a long skirt -and I and a lot of chicks use the boy's bathroom, since I wear a miniskirt and can pee standing up =).

I am fully aware of the "girls can look as guys, as it's only improving yourself, and make a career, ditto -but guys wearing dresses and wanting to stay home as house-dads are just weak, because what masculine guy would?"

Which is why I like my short skirts and push-up bras -sure, I wear pants, no shirts and hairy legs if convenient (often), but I am no less smart or strong if decked out in the girliest of getups and glitter too.

I cannot help but to think that anyone thinking that trousers are good for all but skirts are "female" and therefore "bad" hasn't quite figured their anti-female issues. I mean, "you look like a chick! You cannot be taken seriously!" looks like a fashion statement... But on analysis it seems more evil than that?

--------------------
I don't get even, I get odder

Posts: 57 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kes
Neophyte
Member # 30022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the first story here might be of some interest. It's about a lawyer in New Zealand who has vowed to wear dresses and skirts to court in protest. He still identifies as male and has a wife and three children who support him.

I think part of the reason so few men wear dresses is that it is still seen as humorous. People such as Bob Moodie are doing it for shock value, while pantomime dames do it for laughs. Any male wearing dresses or skirts must be prepared for a reaction- sometimes extreme.

When women started wearing trousers, they were often banned from hotels and pubs. Because of the way men wearing female clothes are seen (as humorous because they're lowering themselves, as posters before have said) I think this would be less likely to happen so long as they were still presenting it as a bit of a laugh (I'm assuming we're not talking about biological men who identify as female here). David Beckham got some flak for wearing his sarong but it was mostly good-natured, if sexist ('sissy boy' etc).

As with David Beckham, there have been some serious encroachments into womenswear in the past few years, though mostly it has been dabbling amongst teenagers. The emo trend has boosted the number of boys wearing make-up and nail varnish.

However, while certain masculine/feminine boundaries are blurred, I don't think men will start wearing skirts any time soon. When women started wearing trousers it was because their skirts were impractical for bicycling, hiking, running, etc. There is no such practicality in a skirt. Any man wearing one seriously would have to admit to doing so purely for aesthetic reasons.

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.