Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » article in teen people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: article in teen people
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was looking through the magazines at shopko the other day, and my eyes landed on teen people's june/july issue. it has josh hartnett on the cover, but that's not important.

there's an article about transgender teens in it.

i almost did a little dance. it made me so happy because it was a really well-written article. it had the story of a FTM (kade), and a MTF (samantha), and some vocabulary. good stuff. 4 pages of REALLY trans-friendly things in a TEEN MAGAZINE. tell me that's not awesome.

okay, just wanted to let you all know. *dork*

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silent_darkness
Neophyte
Member # 13218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silent_darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey my sister has that issue! lol thats not important..But I really think that is a step up for normal teen magazines. You know? Like, it's more to life than make-up and shoes..I'm really glad they put an issue like that out there and didn't turn it into a nergative thing. Rock on.

------------------
x We are the wakeful, wry and watchful, We're awaiting. DEATHLESS ONES x

Posts: 20 | From: Sharon Grove | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally do not like teen magazines for a number of reasons, as many feminist critics agree, but at the same time I can't help sneaking a peek at them occassionally at the library or at the store. I also was pleasantly surprised by the article on transgendered teens and hope it raises awareness, tolerance, and acceptance among people who may not even have known what being transgendered means (or even that it exists!)

What I especially liked was how it showed the two teens happily hanging out with their supportive groups of friends and parents, instead of just focusing on just all the intolerance and prejudice they have to put up with on a daily basis.

I mean, it's obviously not easy being transgendered and it's crucial that social issues like daily discrimination towards people who are LGBT (Q, P, etc., too?) are raised, but I liked how they showed people that being transgendered is "normal", that it doesn't always automatically mean your family won't accept you and that you won't have any friends.

------------------
"Tear up the cloak of indifference that you have wrapped around your hearts! Make up your minds before it is too late!" ~Sophie Scholl

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovemeleaveme
Neophyte
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovemeleaveme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another magazaine, "Teen People" I believe, did an article on trangendered teens a couple of years back, and I know I was sure educated about it. Trangenderedness was basically validated in my mind. Anyway, this old article included a MtF teen, a FtM teen, and a girl whose parent was a MtF transsexual. I'm glad to see that gender issues like these are being integrated into the mainstream, and into something that will educate people who may not have been aware of it.

------------------
[bJordanien Herz[/b]

"Each of us is an angel with one wing. We can only fly by embracing one another."

Posts: 9 | From: Cypress, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister had that issue as well, and she let me read the article on the airplane. I thought it was great, but my sister thought is was a little weird and went back to staring at Josh Hartnett.

That's kind of a burden on the people the article is about as well--what would it be like to be the only exposure the teenage girls reading that magazine have to all the transgendered teens out there?

I was surprised, too, by Playstation Magazine's very engouraging attitude towards "alternative" couples and gender/sexual orientions. In their "Couples that play together stay together" section, they included a picture of a transgender guy and his girlfriend playing videogames. I thought that was pretty cool.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.