Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » "in touch" with your gender

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "in touch" with your gender
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so we all know there are stereotypes concerning gender. It's a part of daily life and as hard as we work to change that it's still there.

But, what about knowing yourself as a person? Gender definitely has a lot to do with that. I am a guy, but when someone talks about the stereotypical male I think of some guy drinking beer and watching football (neither of which do I do). I've been struggling with this idea I have that being male involves a love of the outdoors and an inability to smell ones own body odor.

I dislike these stereotypes. Of course, I don't fit into the ones that I like either. The whole concept that guys are solid, anchored, I can't seem to do that because along with it come all the things I don't want to be.

Does any one else have issues getting in touch with his or her gender?

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are sort of sub-categories to those stereotypes, though. A woman can be prissy, a bitch, a slut . . . okay those aren't really the nicest types, but I think you get the point.

I'd be somewhere between a geeky guy (yes, I *will* brag about the size of my speakers, and explain how networking works if you'll stand still long enough.), and a Valkyrie chick (not my description, though I guess it works), which seems a bit odd to me. So, I've definitely got some of both, but I find I generally get along better with guys, probably for exactly that reason.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I want a boy for my birthday . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, getting in touch with my gender was really getting out of touch with the whole concept. The things I like don't generally fall into one gender or the other, so gender just isn't a useful concept in describing who I am.

Hopefully that made sense.

------------------
Sapphire Cat, a feline who can be both pink and blue...

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theres so many different types of sterotypes and generalities (i dunno if thats a word... lol) to genders. sometimes i go with that... petty, dressed a bit... revealing, and acting like i'm all that and a bag of chips attitude. lol its fun, and it maks me feel purty! i did that today actally, to school. and after not seeing me for a week and a half i noticed a few raised eyebrows to my pants lol. but i dont do that all too much... i dont really like being constantly worried about how i look... or how my hair is when it down... which involves me constantly checking myself in a little compact mirror. lol

then theres not innocent little angel i like to play a lot lol... i mean the innocent part, not really the little angel part. i dress rather conservatively most of the time, or so says me lol... compared to my friends at least. and whenever theres a sick joke or sumthing... i'll act like i have no clue at all what they mean... 1/2 the time i really dont, and the other 1/2 i just pretend i dont. i like the whole... innocent little girl thing i try to do... becuase i am pretty innocent compared to a lot of people i kno, and its kinda funny when guys dont believe it and than find out its pretty true for the most part. lol i dunno i you would consider that a sterotype, but with certain people i think it is... ...they just LOOK innocent, ya kno? lol pigtails = super inncent looking lol

i cant really think of any other sterotypes... unless u count the "dumb blonde" thing... and ironically enough i'm not dumb and i'm not blonde, but i get asked a lot as a joke if i was born blonde... not to mention... i know many blondes, and their not dumb either... ...it annoys me. when i'm joking with people or cause i'm hyper people automatically assume " typical air head girl"... and i've only been called an air head once... which resulted in punching the guy in the stomach totally offguard and getting a good loss of breath in him. i didnt even kno who he was... the nerve to say that to me! grrr >:| (<- a deformed mad smilie lol)

------------------
dont worrie, b happie!!!!
it's all good (...i suppose)

Dont interrupt me when i'm talking to myself!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia."
~ Charles Schultz

[This message has been edited by CutiePie4eva (edited 01-02-2003).]

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly androgynous and fit into neither gender box. I'll have my masculine and feminine days, somedays I feel more girly than guy-y and others vice versa. I dress pretty boyish always, baggy guys clothing and the works. My hair is a "boy cut". I get called "he" "him" and "sir" a lot.

I hate that gender is over-simplified into what genitalia you happen to have. Situations where gender seems to be a big issue are really uncomfortable for me (like, if I'm meeting someone for the first time and they make a comment like, "Oh, now you are a fine young man" they'll be informed of my REAL gender and they'll avoid eye contact for the next few minutes). I especcially hate forms where you have to check either the male or female box.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 12 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*HUGS* for Milke
I am definitely part geek-guy and a mish mash of other things. But most of my friends ARE boys, and they Are geeks. However, they do value my input as the "emotion-comprehending" female. So.....I'm definitely not all girl. And I don't want to be.

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.