Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » News Article: Transgender Teens Killed On D.C. Street

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: News Article: Transgender Teens Killed On D.C. Street
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Transgender Teens Killed On D.C. Street

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, August 13, 2002; Page B01

Two transgender teenagers, best friends who were biologically male but dressed and lived as women, were shot and killed early yesterday in Southeast Washington -- a crime that police said was unusually violent and has left them with few leads.

You can read the full article here; there are also other news stories here and here.

This really saddens and frightens me, both because it was such a terribly violent act, and because I'm the 24-year-old genderqueer partner of a 21-year-old pre-op transsexual. It's a scary world for those of us who don't fit neatly into the little boxes marked "male" and "female."

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no familiar with the term "genderqueer" would someone like to define for me?

Anyway, this is completely unacceptable. The mass culture of America is taught to be afraid and disdainful towards transgender and transexual people. This is one glaringly obvious represntaion of what that fear and hate causes.

Sure it may be hard for some of us who feel comfortable with the sex we were born as, or the gender we were raised as to see why anyone would want to do this. But why should people that don't feel as comfortable with their sex or gender be FORCED to live a lifestyle that doesn't fit them, or even makes them uncomfortable? Isn't that affecting their pursuit of happiness? Isn't it their right to chose how they want to live their life? They are not hurting anyone.

It's ridiculous how close-minded some people can be, and what hate makes people do. Isn't there enough ugliness in the world already? Why does anyone have to add to it.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what is the best way to promote acceptance of transgender and transexual people other than by example. Education on why people choose it can only do so much on it's own.

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few definitions of "genderqueer" I've found:

http://uga.berkeley.edu/sas/lgbt/definitions.htm :

quote:
Gender Queer (or Genderqueer): A person who redefines or plays with gender, or who refuses gender altogether. A label for people who bend/break the rules of gender and blur the boundaries.

http://www.tsroadmap.com/start/tgterms.html :

quote:
Genderqueer (adjective): any individual that doesn't -- or won't -- adhere to the expectation of the only two gender presentations that which our culture allows, as based upon one's ministerial and external 'birth sex'. (as in, "When Patrick was a kid, he didn't realise the extent of how genderqueer he was, despite his inherent tomboyishness on the playground.")

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 Arrested for Murder of a Bay Area Transgendered Youth

I know Newark isn't as liberal as San Francisco, but this is still especially surprising in this part of the world.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

David Steinberg wrote a really good article (Comes Naturally #129) about the murder of Gwen Araujo, the girl who was killed in Newark.

Unfortunately, the only place I can find it is in the Sexualituy.org site, which has 18+ "restrictions", so I don't think I can post a direct link to it? yes/no?

------------------
"If you don't like gays, then they're everywhere, coming out of the woodwork to corrupt little children... but if you are gay, especially if you're in high school, you're the only one in the universe..."

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negative on the direct link, but you've told us where to find it, which should be good enough. Thanks!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing you could do, Maharet, if you want to try and stimulate discussion on the article, is post a few selected quotes from it here. You're allowed to do that.

------------------
"Frank, get back to work! And if the acid burns you, well, good!"
-Ms. Gusto, Grade 11 physical geography class

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.