Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » commercials

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: commercials
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever seen those JC penny 1-day only sale commercials? those are so sexist. for one they make it look like only women can handle their kids and for anouther, they make it look like only women shop at JC penny's.
what do you think about the media in general?

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've ever seen that particular commercial, but there's a lot of bad ones out there.

As for the media in general, well, that's a pretty broad question, but I'd say there's lots of work still to be done!

[This message has been edited by Rizzo (edited 06-25-2002).]

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the ads go like this:

a young child or two wreak havoc in the kitchen. The father steps in and says, "Where is your mother?"

cut to presumed mother in question, shopping at a sale.

imho, the ads are dumb and don't make me want to buy reasonably priced clothes in shopping malls.

but then ask why do most dish detergent ads still feature women at the sink?

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why do most baby product ads have women changing the nappies and doing the cooking, cleaning and everything else? Because that's their target market.

I honestly don't think that their intention is sexist, but lets face it, women do most of the cooking, cleaning and looking after kids. Is it right? No. But is it the truth?
Unfortunately yes. Until that changes, the ads are going to stay the same.

Those ads are often a reflection on society, and while I've never seen the ad in question, I'm sure that the advertisers were just doing their job and trying to sell to their target audience.

Or maybe I'm just sounding like an idiot today.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but there are many women who do work. when my parents were together the deal was that she will cook if he goes to work if he stayed home he cooked and my sister did the dishes after whining forever.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But even women who do work often end up doing 80-100% of the housework.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer_gurl:
But even women who do work often end up doing 80-100% of the housework.

<administrative note>
Before we start degenerating into statistical madness, please be sure and remember to cite sources as best you can. This can help clear up confusion and can give others a chance to look up further information. Slayer, can you point us in the direction of a site that might have that statistic and how it was measured? Thanks!

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, BruinDan.

According to Andrew Cherlin (Public and Private Families, 2000), the male-female housework load is still at a 2-1 ratio, with the woman still doing twice as much as the man, although men are starting to take on more of the work.

See? I remembered something from my sociology class!

------------------
Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! --- HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

*Wipes nervous sweat off brow and bows at DarkChilds feet*

Still workin' on my sources

[This message has been edited by Slayer_gurl (edited 06-28-2002).]

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
According to Andrew Cherlin (Public and Private Families, 2000), the male-female housework load is still at a 2-1 ratio...

Excellent...and do we know how they obtained this information? The reason I ask is that every class I took seemed to have a different view on what was going on inside the home. I had one professor try and explain to his class that men do far more than they are given credit for, and then I had another class that same quarter that talked about how women are the backbone of the home.

To be sure, I can remember my mom doing a heck of a lot of the housework when I was young, but I can also remember my father being at work for literally months at a time without coming home. So I always thought those sorts of things evened out.

This is why I've been looking for studies of two-parents households where both parents work, to see how the chores are divvied up by each person. So far I haven't found anything (I know that USC's School of Public Health is working on a study now), but if you can find anything of that sort and post it here, I'd love it. Thanks!

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dzuunmod continues the drift...

My parents were an anomaly, or so it seems. My mom worked late all the time when I was a child (and later, when I was in my mid- and late-teens, she lived in South America, and generally worked 12 hour days), and my dad worked seven hours a day, for the most part, he did all the housework.

Getting back on topic, though, I'm angered by the way I see both genders portrayed in the media (advertisements certainly included). I guess that's sort of a good thing. At least the media is giving it to everyone rather than picking on one side. Of course, I'd rather see positive portrayals of everyone...

Women are portrayed, often, as being the ones who should do the housework and the childrearing. Meanwhile, men are portrayed as being stupid. Totally, totally, stupid.

------------------
'I see the plane... come with supplies... now we don't die!'
-The Rheostatics, "P.I.N."

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the other day about how heterosexist condom commercials are. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining too much (well, except for about those Trojan commercials, those totally defeat the purpose, but that's another thread entirely), I'm glad that condom commercials even make it to TV. However, everyone on them is a heterosexual couple (notice that they're also only a couple...poly or otherwise are totally left out too).

Commercials are terribly sexist for the most part. Have you ever seen the lecture "Killing Us Softly"? Fabulous lecture about the portrayal of women (and men, but primarily from the perspective of a woman) in both print and TV advertising. If you've never seen it, I'd highly advise seeing if your local library has it. Very thought provoking piece.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got me thinking, KittenGoddess, it's not just condom commercials that use only heterosexual couples - in fact I have never seen ANY adverts featuring gay people. Homosexuality and the media don't seem to mix

But seeing as this topic is in gender issues, I'll try to stick to sexism in commercials. I'm going to be controversial here, and look at MEN in commercials. I think men are very often portrayed as being stupid, sex-obsessed jerks in a lot of adverts. This is quite often overlooked, but it's unfair. I'd like to see adverts for washing powder etc. changed around, so the MEN do the washing for a change - but that might suggest that he was gay.

Just out of interest, are their any laws against showing gay/lesbian commercials on TV? If anyone knows, please tell me!

*Badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
in fact I have never seen ANY adverts featuring gay people. Homosexuality and the media don't seem to mix

There's one TV ad running at the moment in the UK (I think it's advertising a credit card or bank account) that features two guys shopping in a supermarket together and bickering amicably about what to buy, and it sort of gives the impression that they're a couple rather than just friends (at least you could interpret it that way), although it's not spelled out.

And I know this has been regarded as very daring by UK standards!

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are interested in the laws about showing homosexuality in commercials in the UK, there's some info on it here:
www.gala-marketlaw.com/ukregs_silkin.html

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did no one see the IKEA ad that ran a little while back in the States? It was a gay male couple who were dicussing how IKEA had everything they needed for their new home. Nice ad.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, most commercials and print media do not feature openly homosexual couples. However if you watch very carefully and think about it from different perspectives you'll see that most advertising features what they call "gay window dressing". Basically that's where the ad is targeted toward one group (ie. women, heterosexuals, children, etc.), but there is an underlying appeal to another group. Take for instance the groups of women featured in many of the clothing ads you see in Cosmo, the ads are targeted toward heterosexual women. However, if you look at the body language, etc. of the models, many times there's an underlying appeal to heterosexual men and lesbians. So while most of the ads don't necessarily show non-heterosexual couples (or groups), advertisers aren't actually ignoring that section of the consumer public. They just approach them in a way that will be percieved as non-threatening to the "heterosexual majority".

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do think some commercials are sexist, for example, that one for the digital camera or printer ( i cant remember which, probably the camera)and the husband is shopping and has to have pictures of every item so he knows which one. and alot of shopping sale commercials show women shopping not men.like wasnt there one where the women called in sick and she was really shopping? so i agree that they sometimes are sexist.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
...and do we know how they obtained this information?

The stats were taken from studies done in 1965, 1975, 1985, and 1995. As of 1995, the average time spent a week on house hold chores was at 10 for men, and a little less than 20 for women (Cherlin, 298). It has dropped substantially from about 4 hours a week for men and 34 hours a week for women in 1965. The study also showed that employed men and women do less housework than unemployed men and women (Cherlin, 299). Then it goes on to discuss child rearing and other things found in the study.

------------------
Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! --- HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CupcakePrincess
Neophyte
Member # 9267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CupcakePrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
but then ask why do most dish detergent ads still feature women at the sink?

\becuase the World is Stillfull of sexsist Pigs Who Think The Womans Place is in the Kitchen. I think Once the Wemon Take over the World, Which we will every thing will be fine. But Its also A matter Of the roles that Male/femals have played In the Household Comercials (spelling) since TV was Invented. takeing out the Trash for instance is allways a guy. Footlocker commercials guys, payless? girls. Its Pretty much The Advertisers(spelling Wrong word?) opoion or veiw On what the comercial should Be. Or what group is the Product aimed at. I mean Surveys Have shown Most men take out the trash, adn Most women, wash the Grocry shop for the Dishwashing liquid! hence the woman always Doing it.

------------------
When You think your life Is Horrible, ask Me about Mine... It will change your Mind.

~*~*Jen*~*~

Posts: 27 | From: crystal Lake Il US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 12 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CupcakePrincess:
becuase the World is Still full of sexsist Pigs Who Think The Womans Place is in the Kitchen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

psst...CupcakePrincess...having been someone who has fallen into the trap of using generalizations, please try and avoid them. The world is not completely filled with sexist pigs who believe women belong in the kitchen, c'mon, take a look around at the boards and you'll see...

Having said that, can anyone recall a commercial that's not sexist? For the life of me, I can't think of a single one.

It's easy to pinpoint the bad ones sure, but it's harder to pinpoint those minor exceptions. Any takers?

Oh, and Killing Us Softly was followed up with "Deadly Persuasions" by Jean Kilbourne. If anyone needs a source on media, both are excellent!

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

I agree with alohomora here, I can find things wrong with All commercials pretty quickly. Princess cupcake, you were talking about women being dicsriminated against in commercials, but men are also stereotyped in these adverts, remember. Yeah, there are still men AND WOMEN who think a womans place is in the kitchen, and there are also people who think a man should not do typically feminine things!

My opinion is that there are much bigger equality issues in the world, but it would be nice if the smaller, everyday sexist things like commercials went away I hate TV adverts full stop!

------------------
Hahahahah...I am evil...pure evil!!! Oh sorry, did you want something?

la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick note about GLBT advertisements...

Check out queer/-friendly publications like: On Our Backs, The Advocate, Out, Diva, etc. You'll find advertisements that are either blantantly gay or have gay-appeal.

But I wonder why they don't get out into the mainstream too. It's not like gay people have their own extra-secret satellite broadcasting Gay TV.

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few out there. I suggest checking out www.commercialcloset.org which is a aite completely devoted to analyzing the few times homosexuality appears in commercials.

It's pretty interesting - there are more instances than we think, but often they are negative. I find it interesting how many times this sort of thing has completely slipped under my radar.

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.