Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Suicide linked to gender conflict

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suicide linked to gender conflict
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story notes that in one hospital, almost 40% of teenage girls who had talked about or attempted suicide were experiencing gender role conflicts. They did not find such high numbers among boys.

These results are from one hospital, in one city, but could bring up interesting discussions nonetheless. Any thoughts?

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnsouthpawjr
Activist
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnsouthpawjr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story was NOT available anymore.

I can't prove with stats but I know that GLBT members especially teens have a higher rate of depression and suicidal thoughts compared to heterosexuals. Also, they tend to have a problem with alcohol and drugs.

How can this change? A more supportive and caring support network. The more negative feedback members of the GLBT community gets, the more negative they'll feel.

Posts: 73 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IncredibleTulkas
Neophyte
Member # 9471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IncredibleTulkas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's also rememeber that actual (v. merely attempted) male suicide rates are close to triple those of female; I believe that gender roles simply affect female teens more because of the issues of rapidly coming to terms with womanhood and feminity which are now less strictly pressured at earlier ages, and which females may see as a double-edged sword in terms of costs and benefits.

Meanwhile, boys are taught (i.e. pressured)from birth-- by any means necessary (including force, coercion, humiliation, and other abuse) -- to be "manly," which only increases in teen years via expecations and opportunities to excel and compete, whether this is what he wants or not. As a result, while outright gender-conflicts may be less pronounced in males, the numbers bear out that this lack of apparent conflict is not without severe costs.
Specifically, males are given no real choice to present a conflict; while females may derive various benefits from more aggressive behavior (with associated costs), while likewise the more traditional feminine role presents alternative costs and benefits, the choice is still there; males, on the other hand, will derive relatively little benefit from engaging in more feminized behavior, while incurring great costs in terms of lost benefits and status as well as incurring various forms of abuse, ostracism and social rejection. Engaging in masculinity, however, likewise bears associated costs, however masculinity by its very definition precludes support via implying absolute independence and control, resulting in inevitable conflict for any human caught in this double-bind.

[This message has been edited by IncredibleTulkas (edited 08-10-2002).]

Posts: 15 | From: Beverly Hills, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, i think there is definately some generalization of genders going on here.

i doubt anyone can say with any proof that all males are raised in the forced machismo environment, or that all females are raised in a less pressured environment.

please remember that everyone is different, raised differently and have different ways of acting. and for those actions, there are always different reactions. any way people act, whether boy or girl, can result in abuse, ostracism, and social rejection, not just masculine, or feminine. it just depends on the situation and circumstances.

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I stand somewhere in between IncredibleTulkas and mistress_monkey.

While it's true that not every male is brought up in an environment that encourages machismo, I'd guess that most boys are still brought up in families with traditional gender expectations. Even if the boy's immediate family does not pressure him to be masculine, society certainly will.

I was brought up in a feminist environment, but I still feel pressure to be beautiful, to be a sex object, etc. Every day. It's hard to shut yourself off from the ideals of your culture. So, while you can choose to act against the unwritten rules of society, it's virtually impossible to ignore them.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.