Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » "Oh, I'm just a girl"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Oh, I'm just a girl"
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been classified as female all my life, but I can't deny some parts of me that are attracted to men's ways of living. For instance, I enjoy men's clothing... I like the jewelry sold for men, and I find men's wallets to be more practical. I like my hair short, and I enjoy looking masculine sometimes. I'm sure a lot of other females feel the same, so then why does everything have to be so segregated?

I often gravitate towards the men's section at Gap, and I find people looking at me, embarassed that I'm "accidently" on the wrong side of the store. But I love men's boxers! What can I say?

I don't like to be classified as a "girl" all the time, because I like to feel equal with everyone, and I feel as if I'm being seperated from the males.

At graduation, females are suppose to wear a certain color gown and males have to wear a different color. But why? They don't make the disabled wear different colors or African Americans wear red instead of blue... So why should it be any different with the sexes? I'm considering talking to the principal about it or possibly wearing the color reserved for "men" at my graduation, because I think of myself as part male.

What do you all think about the segregation?

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apoc-chan
Neophyte
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apoc-chan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomboys unite

I myself surf the "young men's" section of Kohls, where they have these awesome jeans that I love so much (JNCO jeans and shorts = the best). And wearing short shorts.... *shudder* Every pair of shorts I own is long enough to cover my knees.

As for the graduation thing, the segregation is tradition dating back probably forever ago. Way back when universities were beginning to accept women as students. I'm really just speculating, though. I bet you could find some info on google?

I always debated with myself whether I would ask to wear the guys' colored gown at graduation... Still haven't decided. My schoolmates would probably think I'm either gay or a freak, and my school is a den of homophobia and anti-freak preps. ~_~

Posts: 25 | From: Nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating. My high school's grad robes are straight black. Both sexes. I believe my college's are blue for both sexes as well.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 2 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you sisters! People assume that I go out of my way to dress butch or something, but I don't - I just find tight 'girly' clothes uncomfortable and they don't fit in with my kind of lifestyle (I'm a very outdoor girl!)

I notice the segregation between men and women, but it has become less - I mean equal rights etc. I think the gap between men and women will always be there, because of the differences in how boys and girls are brought up.

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
Fascinating. My high school's grad robes are straight black. Both sexes. I believe my college's are blue for both sexes as well.

Ours are red. Males and females.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ours are blue, both sexes as well. I think it's a little strange to have them 2 different colours whether you're a guy or a girl. I like the idea of them all being the same because you're all part of the same graduating class, and you're all equal on that day.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even know what colors the senior have to wear at graduation, but I'm pretty sure that they're all the same color. One of my friends would've said something if they had been different.

Sometime, I think the guys clothes are just more comfortable. My favorite thing to wear is jeans and a T-shirt, but I still dress girly sometimes, although, most of the time I feel pretty fake when I'm wearing a skirt.

At prom I wore a dress and was miserable. If I go next year, I'm thinking of getting a suit.

Anyways, good luck on getting to wear the color you want at graduation, Mary

[This message has been edited by BlackRoseFaery (edited 06-13-2002).]

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hopping mad at my graduation on Monday. The girls had to carry long stemmy roses, while the boys only had to pin a miniature version to their shirts. After some arguing to no avail with the administrator in charge, I just switched roses with this girl whose rose head fell off. So I walked in the procession with a stem. Lovely.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.