Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » The Status of Men

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Status of Men
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Publically-funded commissions/boards/committees which exist to examine the status of women have been around for years, or decades in many places.

The American state of New Hampshire will likely soon become the first place that I'm aware of to have a commission looking at the status of men.

Now, I've never been to New Hampshire, but if it's anything like the rest of the places that I've been in North America, (to paraphrase something I read recently in that same N.H. newspaper) the status of men in New Hampshire is that they're just fine.

Do you think this is necessary? Do men face systematic problems that the government should be looking at? I don't really think they do.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thought that comes to mind is that men tend to seek medical attention less oftenthan women when facing health problems. I don't see it so much as an access issue, but more about preconceived notions that men feel they can take care of themselves.

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bettie, I think that's definitely something that needs to be looked at.

my mother and I talked about this a lot after one of our family friends died from esophageal cancer that wasn't caught until it was stage IV. he was *so* bad about going to the doctor that he had felt horrible for months and didn't go till my dad forced him to the emergency room.

my mom and I decided that one of the reasons women are better about going to the doctor is that most of us are already used to having to go to the gyn to deal with birth control issues. when you have to see someone and get an exam every year to get your prescription refilled, you're going to see a doctor at least once a year - and that's more than a lot of adult males I know.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"Years ago, I was an angry young man/I'd pretend that I was a billboard/Standing tall by the side of the road/I fell in love with the beautiful highway..."-Talking Heads, "(Nothing but) Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sun Wu
Activist
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sun Wu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a definate need for the status of men commisions... More guys drop out, have poorer marks, don't enter university or post-secondary education than girls. I think that needs to be looked at IMHO.
Posts: 117 | From: Where does my name remind you of? well it's wrong! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.