Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Sorry, guys, this isn't for you...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorry, guys, this isn't for you...
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls are routinely applauded for breaking down barriers in sport, and showing that they can play with the boys. I'm thinking of an NHL goalie named Manon Rhéaume, who, maybe ten years ago, played some exhibition games with the Tampa Bay Lightning; or the handful of female American football kickers who have played in the American college leagues. But what of boys who can't play with the girls, for one reason or another?

Take this story out of the U.S. state of Maine. A male high school gymnast has no place to compete because the state only has a girls gymnastics program at the high school level. His coach, a female, says that if the sexes were reversed (and a female was being barred from the boys gymnastics competitions) the people who run the leagues would find a way to get something done.

So, what's to be done here? Should the boy be allowed to compete with the girls? Should girls in similar situations be allowed to compete with boys? It's always seemed to me that a policy that allows girls to compete in boys leagues is just asking for trouble.

Even it up, somehow, I say. Have rules and stick to them no matter what, or do away with gender separation in sports all together.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, they should let him compete with the girls. I mean, girls compete with guys all the time, so he should be allowed to compete with the girls.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the real problem is that men's and women's gymnastics are totally different sports. I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to train with the girls, and maybe even do his routines at a competition just for the experience. But other than that, there's really no way he could compete with the girls. He could choose to do the women's events instead of the men's, I suppose.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to agree with Rizzo on this, since gymnastics is the sport in question, that makes it much more difficult to just say he should compete with the girls. The events are completely different and the equipment set up is different too. And beyond that, as with any sport, there are things that boys can do with ease but girls can't, and vice versa. How do you account for those differences in competition? It seems to me that it would be similar to having men and women compete in figure skating. Men can perform quads with reletive ease, while most women can't manage them at all. Do you weight those things differently then? It would be easier if it truly were a team sport (such as hockey or football) where there are more defined rules and the sets of equipment and the game itself were approximately the same no matter what your sex.

I guess I just wonder how you can decide who wins or loses when you can't give everyone the same opportunity to do their best (in events that are suited for them, and on equipment that fits their stature), and you can't apply the same set of standards to everyone. When comparing apples and oranges, which is really better?

I don't necessarily agree with the coach that if the situation were reversed, something would be done. If that's true, the only thing that would be done would be the formation of a girls league...I highly doubt anyone would suggest that the girl in question learn pommel horse and rings. I think about the only good solution would be just to form a boys league.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only sort of related here - interesting thread - but in the Olympics the only sport in which men and women compete on equal terms is in the three day equestrian event.
[horse riding]
presumably because males and females have - in general - such different strength and stamina levels it is quite impossible to compete equally as one would always have the advantage. whereas with horse riding it is more the -skill- of the rider and the fitness and strength of the horse which is being tested.

was that random?

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that note, you'd think that in the Winter Olympics, certainly, curling could be one place where men and women could compete with one another. The sport (actually, I think it's more of a game) is all about precision, and has virtually nothing to do with strength or stamina. I don't understand why the sexes are separate for curling.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heder
Activist
Member # 3532

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Heder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that events like figure skating should not be allowed in the Olympics. It's so hard to judge these sort of events - the whole canadian fiasco definetely proved that. Likewise, i think men and women are seperated in many events because of the inequality that can occur. Judges would be forced to take in to account the gender differences, and everything would become much more complicated.

------------------
I think this boy's cheese slid off his cracker - The Green Mile

Posts: 49 | From: winnipeg,mb,canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.