Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody else heard of this? I just wrote a short research critique on this topic. Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome is a disorder that affects people with XY chromosomal composition (karyotpe). Notice I don't say "males." Either there is a mutation in the testosterone receptors that makes them unable to respond to the hormone, or these subjects lack the receptors completely. In either case, people with AIS develop with female bodies, but male gonads and levels of testosterone that are normal compared to normal men.

So where does this put the person with AIS? Is the person male by virtue of genetic makeup? or is the person female because the the form of the body? How does a person react to their diagnosis -- people with AIS are raised as girls, and often don't find out that they have AIS until puberty when they go to the doctor to figure out why they cannot menstruate. How do people around them respond? What legal quandries arise for people with AIS?

Just something for your brains to chew on. I recall once a long time ago, someone posted about their experiences with AIS in Support Groups, but nothing else was said.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I remember something about this showing up in the Vital Signs section of a Discover (magazine) sometime relatively recently (within the last year or two. I have a terrible sense of time.) It is apparently hereditary, as the AIS person in the story came from an area of South America renowned for it, although they (the people living there) didn't know what it was.

Remember that Klinefelter's syndrome involves being XXY... there are definitely mroe than two sexes, but we don't have really adequate words for them, or a good way to separate sex and gender.

------------------
-- Sapphire Cat

Condense soup, not books!

I don't use the term "straight". It implies its opposite is "crooked".

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.