Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » as the president...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: as the president...
girlie*
Activist
Member # 5257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girlie*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have read many articles on why women should NOT be in the presidential office. think about this... it is insane. It is said that women can not make rational choices at "their time of the month." Some women may not be best for office because of a multitude of reasons, but that is the same with men. Thoughts??!

------------------
-Morals only mean something if you stick by them when they are inconvenient for you-

Posts: 118 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to say that if making rational chices is a pre-requisite for becoming president then what the hell is going on right now?! (sorry to any Bush supporters out there)
Women have managed to prove that they can skillfully hold down positions of responsibility in many other fields, politics is no exception. I would like to be able to cite Britain as an example of a rational female leader, but we had Maggie Thatcher, so that one's kind of out the window!
Seriously, I know a lot of very rational women, and unrational men. Women are, and always have been, able to do things despite their hormonal cycles. They raise children, they run houses, they run companies, and I don't se any reason why they can't run a country.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think Margeret Thatcher's decisions were ever affected by her menstrual cycle. Her decisions were completely insane no matter what time of the month it was. I think she is actually most comparable to America's current Mr Bush except with more charisma but even less likeable. Perhaps the now retired Speaker of the house is a better example. I forget her name unfortunately momentarily. It is always so much easier to remember the bad ones than the good ones.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to take the flip side on this. I would have no problem with a lady like Thtacher being president. There are plenty of women who could do the job quite well. On the Demoratic side, Madline Albright did a fine job as SOS, on the GOP side Libby Dole could be a fine pres, as could Jean Kirkpatrick (although she is sort of getting up there in years now)
the time of the month argument is just plain silly (especially for any woman in her 50's or 60's, when that is no longer an issue, but i have worked for many women who were fine executives, whe were well before the age of menopause.)

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 2 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking off from what John said, I would vote for Madeline Albright in a heartbeat. The woman is brighter than many of the leaders who have "served" the US lately. I don't think menstruation is an issue to be seen as a mental illness, and yet by saying that someone can't make rational decisions that what it seems to fall under. That's bull. Both men and women have fluctuations in their behavior and their decision making - it's part of being human.

Honestly, this argument seems like ones made in the past - that women are the "weaker sex," and that with their "frail countenance" they oughtn't be allowed to (insert one or more: study mathematics, vote, ride horses astride).

Ridiculous.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.