Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » That Takes Ovaries!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: That Takes Ovaries!
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from attending Ladyfest Los Angeles where there was a reading and open mike forum that I had to share.

It's a little something called That Takes Ovaries, (also check out the website: http://www.thattakesovaries.org) and basically, it chronicles the bold, courageous and daring acts women have taken no matter how small or large.

From talking back to a harasser, organizing a protest or correcting strangers viewpoints on gender, race or sexuality, what have you done that took ovaries?

**Fixed the link**

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 11-10-2002).]

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thisonecanbe
Activist
Member # 10445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thisonecanbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you on Scarleteen may have read on my other posts, my teachers are on strike. Something brave that I did, in my opinion, was writing a Letter to the Editor of a newspaper about my opinions on the strike. They published the letter one day, and then they published it the next day along with a "Golden Quill" award! It was great..

Also in accordance to the strike, I helped organize a sit-in in the gym and a boycott of the school lunch.

------------------
...i've done all i can do; could i please come with you?

Posts: 63 | From: nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahliRainbowchilde
Neophyte
Member # 10675

Icon 7 posted      Profile for BahliRainbowchilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother (age 43) and myself (age 17) have both achieved the rank of 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. My baby sister (10) is eligible to test for her 1st degree black belt in late 2003.

One of my close friends and I started an all-female guild to train the new girls in our local Live-Action Roleplaying realm. Although I am no longer part of the guild, our members now span the country and three different LARP organizations, and we have been in existence for almost eight months.

Girls kick it.
~Bahli

------------------
Black belts can kick it
like nobody else.

Fear not the rainbow, nor yet the darkness within.

Posts: 11 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose, if i may say so, I think that when I wrote to my principal about the harassment i had to deal with everyday because I was gay, that that took ovaries!

Ok, it was anonymous, but I was shaking like a leaf for the week when I posted it.

It may not have made a difference, and i didn't get in trouble, but it was still one of the scariest things i've ever done in my life...

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

I'm impressed with what I've read and well, felt like sharing my ovarian moment.

I was driving home from school one day when this man in a truck started making lewd faces at me. I tried to ignore him, but as we were on surface streets, at red lights he would honk his horn, roll down his window and start yelling obscenities at me.

This continued for a few blocks when I realized, the man was obviously Stupid. He was driving around in a company car with the company's name and number imprinted on the side of the door. So I memorized the number, along with his license plate, jotted both down at the next red light, and smiled cheerfully at him.

When I got home, I called the number and asked to speak to the manager. When the manager came on, I told him what had happened, gave him all the information and reported the incident.

Long story short, I was given an apology and the man was severely reprimanded (He had to take a week of sensitivity training.) Made my day, but yeah, when I was on the phone, I was shaking like a leaf too.

Funny, what we can do when we put our minds to it.

And oh, for the men, feel free to contribute and tell us gutsy things your sister, mom, aunt, girlfriends have done that took ovaries!

Playing with language is fun

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thisonecanbe
Activist
Member # 10445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thisonecanbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alohamora.. I couldn't help but notice after pronouncing your name that it sounds much like a word heard in "The Mummy".. Is it from that?

------------------
...i've done all i can do; could i please come with you?

Posts: 63 | From: nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Hi closuregoddess,

Um, actually, I had the hardest time thinking up a user name for scarleteen, and drew on something I was reading at the time.

Harry Potter, book one.

I believe "alohamora" was one of the words used to break or start a spell, akin to abracadabra....

youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe, Alohamora is the spell used to unlock doors (I happen to be a huge HP fan ::wink:

Hmmm... what took ovaries?
I was at the mall one day this past month shopping for the holidays and I happened to bend over and some guy popped me right on my rear-end. Oh I was fuming, the guy had to be like 16 or 17. So after stalking him and checking out what he was doing for about 30 minutes, I went up to him in front of his friends (and his father) and let him have it. His father didn't look too happy with his son afterwards. (You have to understand that I never do that sort of thing, I usually just ignore stuff like that, but gosh darn it, it wasn't a good day to do that) Hopefully those guys will think twice before doing anything remotely like that.

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.