Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » L'Androgyne

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: L'Androgyne
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I love being mistaken for a girl. This perhaps has something to do with my passion for acting, but I don't really want to be a girl or feel that I'm a girl stuck in a guys body. It's just fascinating to me that people just assume or won't ask and then I get to keep up the guessing game. People just sort of let slip when they call me "such a nice young lady" or say "you girls need to be quiet" and I get to have fun with the ambiguous part. I often dress deliberately androgynously to get uncertain reactions--and yes I know it's mean to play with people's minds, but it's all in good fun. I tell most people eventually. But the feeling is kind of exhilerating, knowing that you can be what and who you want to be and that biology doesn't really have all that big a say. Viola (in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night) is my role model; she never actually says she's a guy but everyone just sort of assumes and she's very tactful. Is this whole thing weird? Does anyone else feel like this?

------------------
I'm from the United States of Amnesia where Apathy is president. Nope, it just got worse--George Bush is president now.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say I'm like that personally, simply because there is no hope for me to be mistaken with this body for anything but a broad with a capital B. The one time I had to play an androgynous part in an opera it involved a whole lot of duct tape and hurt like heck.

However, throughout the whole of my life, I tend to pick both male and female partners who are androgynous, and have always been drawn to androgynous people.

I simply find a very unique and unparalelled beauty in androgyny.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duct tape? Ouch! How were you able to sing? I mean, could you breathe?

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you sing classically, you are breathing from deep in your belly, not from high in your lungs, like most people breathe.

So yes, with your breasts bound, you can sing, but it certainly isn't easy or comfortable.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Owch. That's all I can say. I'm really at a losss for words here. Owch.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo-hoo! Androgony rocks! I love being androgynous sooo much. I can be a boy. I can be a girl. Whatever mood strikes me. I usually am never in a girl mood, though, so I'm frequently mistaken for a boy. Although, on a semi-interesting note, there's this girl in my school who everyone thought was a guy at the beginning of last year (freshmen year) but now everyone knows that it's a girl. So when I went into theatre class one day, there was a discussion about gender and since I apparently was the most interesting gender identity to talk about (go me!) and my teacher mentioned that he knew I was girl as soon as I walked in the door. I thought that was quite interesting.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this thread was going to be about the gay bookstore here in Montreal, L'Androgyne.

Anyway, I love the androgynous look. Rather like Miz Scarlet, I'm quite obviously female myself, but I think androgynous people have a rare beauty. My boyfriend periodically gets mistaken for a girl (which pleases me immensely). I have enjoyed my own forays into androgyny (dressing up in suits, etc), but I know I don't make a very convincing boy.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little while back I kinda dropped the whole FTM thing and am really living without a gender lately. Or, really, without just one gender. It's not so much "I'm a boy" as "I'm not a girl." I think I achieved Gender Zen... while I do have a definite preference as to which box I hop into when I need to be in a box, I've really stopped caring about the boxes altogether and am just... myself. It's quite lovely.

but anyway... I love it when people take me for a guy. If I must have a gender, I prefer that one. It's really funny... guys have this nod/head twitch thing they do when they see other guys walk by. It's like a "Hey there, you are male, I am also male, how's things in the brotherhood" kind of nod. So when I get that nod from complete strangers, sometimes accompanied by a "what's up, man?" it feels pretty cool.

------------------
riot boy! smgeek.diaryland.com
(read all of my sordid secrets. well, not really.)

[This message has been edited by rdavid (edited 06-13-2001).]

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a funny little story about tricking a boy into thinking i was a boy in fifth grade. Hehe I hung out with several boys on the playground... we decided to see if we could make this boy think I was a boy. I don't remember why hehe. Anyway, it was winter and so I had a big floppy knit stocking cap on. I hid my long curly blonde hair under it . I didn't have much shape to my body so that wasn't much of a problem. This is the funny part... the guys taught me how to walk. They all thought I walked like a girl, so they corrected that. We actually managed to pull this whole scheme off for a number of weeks i believe. It was sooo much fun I enjoyed it.

Well I hope that wasn't to far off the subject. Someone tell me to shut up if I start babbling and making a general nuisance of myself.

Rio

------------------
"There are a lot of hidden nerds. I'm aware of the exciting man in Trent The Nine Inch, but I can see the nerd in him, too. People who become the front runners often used to be outcasts or loners." - Tori Amos

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, when I was in fifth or sixth grade, I too was mistaken for a boy in the winter. I had a boy's winter coat, and my hair was hidden under my hat. I rather enjoyed this charade, but I didn't keep it up for weeks or anything.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amnesiac
Neophyte
Member # 4336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amnesiac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend has been mistaken for a girl several times. I must say, I love it.

------------------
- madison eliza
small thoughts

Posts: 7 | From: suburbia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't like to be mistaken for a boy... but I admit I am attracted to adrogynous people (guys, mostly). Something about Brian Molko of Placebo is just...wow Ain't his make-up just daaaarling?

...but you wish you were,
Veronica

Now Playing - Marion "Minus You"

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire
Activist
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i am attracted to feminine looking guys as well as 'manly' guys. in fact the first guy i ever liked and the first guys iev ever liked were rather feminine looking. but its not a total they have to thing for me to be attracted to tem.
but in plays and stuff i alwasy love playing the guys roles and thiungs. i think i just love seeing how i would be treated if i were different from their point of view so to speak. ive always thought alot about what it would be like to be other ppl even though im perfectly happy how i am.
so yeah i guess i would love being androgonyous ( im sure i spelt that wrong) but i look to much like a girl to ever bne passed off as a 'guy guy'
lots a luv Claire

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.