Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » yummy & healthy in your pots and pans (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: yummy & healthy in your pots and pans
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed in the general nutrition thread, that some of us seem to have trouble with getting balanced, healthy and yummy recipes. - And I myself, am stuck in a definite foot rut.

I thought we might share recipes again that are both yummy and healthy - the last time we swapped recipes, we had some very good stuff there. So come on people, spill it:

What's cooking in your pans and pots? Got the ultimate fish recipe? The definite thing to do with Tofu? The killer fruit dessert? Share it here.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might not be the healthiest thing on the planet, but it tastes pretty darn good ...

Tuna Casserole

1 can of tuna (can be sub'ed for any other kind of meat you may want to add)
1 can of peas (size depends how much you want, or you can put in mixed veggies
1 can of mushroom soup (the stuff you have to add milk to)
1 can of milk (use the can w/ the soup)
2 cups of elbow macaroni
A bit of grated cheese
1 big a**ed pot to hold it all
1 long baggette
Enough garlic butter to cover it all (or you can use butter/margarine and garlic powder ... whatever you prefer)

Now ... cook the macaroni. Drain it and put it back in the pot you started in. (Set the oven at 250F.) Add the tuna and milk. Beat it to death (you're gonna have to, to get the lumps out of the soup ... ugh). Then add the peas or veggies. Stir lots. Sprinkle the grated cheese on the top. Put in the oven for 30mins ... TA DA!! Tuna casserole a la Smurf

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my skillet is all beat up 'cause i use it so much!

Gummy's Pasta and Veggie Thingy That Tastes Good
================
some veggies like broccolli flowerets, sliced carrots, sliced bell peppers, sliced zucchini, whatever you like that doesn't go all mushy when you cook it

some rotelle pasta (something twisty and pretty)

olive oil

basalmic vinegar

fresh black pepper
--
boil the pasta in plain water (no salt!). heat the skillet to about medium-high. add olive oil. saute veggies till mostly done, but not quite. add cooked pasta. saute and mix around. splash on a little bit of basalmic vinegar. add a dash of pepper. serve

this would probably cook great in a wok, but i don't have one. and the basalmic vinegar makes all the difference.

this stuff didn't kill my boyfriend, and moreover, he found it quite tasty. it's vegan friendly, too!

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've got an easy soup recipe that's pretty healthy, if you're a vegetarian you can just leave the chicken out and use vegatable stock
1 can chicken stock + 3 chicken bulion cubes
1 medium can crushed tomatoes
1 large can tomato paste
garlic and onions - as much as you like (i use lots)
jalapeno peper(s) 1 - 3, depends on your taste buds
1 can kidney beans
3 cups cooked chicken, diced
1/8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 bell peppers - yellow/green/orange/red whatever, i like yellow for color, sliced thinly
1 corn tortilla per person, cut in strips
sourcream, avacodo, and grated chedar for garnish

saute the onion, garlic, and bell peppers in a bit of olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot. after they're somewhat cooked but not done, add the chicken or veggie broth and bullion, the tomato paste, the tomatoes, the beans, the chicken, and the jalapenos. bring to a boil then turn down and let simmer. in a saute pan, heat an inch or 2 of oil and fry the tortilla strips until they're crispy (you can also bake them to cut the fat a bit). put some of the tortilla strips into each bown, pour the soup over, add the sour cream, cheese, avacado and cilantro to the top (you can use no-fat or non dairy sour cream, but i don't reccomend soy cheese, if you're a vegan just skip the cheese here cause soy cheese doesn't seem to work well).
this is quick and differnt, and i generally throw a bit of whatever i have in the fridge (hamburger, tomatoes, zuchinni, corn whatever) in as well.
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Little slightly wintery recipe from me... Need a creamy & cheesy yet low fat meal? I strongly recommend these yummy

Double baked potatoes

For 2 or 3 hungry people you'll need

• 4 large potatoes (the mealy kind), that you gave a little brush under some cold water
  • 60ml veggie stock
  • 100ml (low fat) plain creamy yoghurt
  • 100 grams broccoli that you steamed just so that it's done yet still nice and bity
  • 1 tsp. cut up Parsley
  • Salt
  • white pepper
  • about 50grams grated cheese (like cheddar)

Either bake the potatoes for about 35 to 40 minutes at about 200° C or microwave them for 20 minutes until they are all throughoutly baked (time depends on kind of potato and size).

Let them cool down a little, cut them up lengthwise and remove the inside of the potato, so that about 5mm of skin & inside are left.

Mash the potato inside with the veggie stock and the yoghurt in a bowl. Cut up the steamed broccoli and throw it in, too. Add the cheese, salt and pepper and the parsley until it's a nice chunky mix.

With two spoons, but that mix into the empty potatoes.

Bake the filled potatoes for about 15 minutes until the tops are lightly golden.

Enjoy!

(To get to measurements and temps that you outside decent measurement systems understand check out this razzy interactive Measurement Converter (there is a temp option at the bottom, too or this Cooking Converter)

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 06-17-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, recipes. I'm lazy, so I'm just going to copy my favorite recipe over from my blog.
-----------
A recipe for Pita bread & hummus

Ingredients:
Yeast (you don't need much)
Wheat flour (I prefer organic)
All-purpose flour (I prefer organic)
Salt
Oil (I prefer olive oil)
Chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans, dry or canned. I prefer the former.)
Tahini (or sesame seeds & oil, to make your own)
Lemon juice
Garlic

A blender. Makes the hummus a lot easier to do.

One of my favorite meals. Yummy, cheap, filling, fun and easy to make (plus lots of people don't know how to make it and will be impressed).

Morning:
Fill a nice bowl with 2.5c really warm water. Add 1t yeast, stir, and add 2.5c wheat flour. Stir (same direction). This is called the "sponge." Cover with something, and let it sit for 30 min - 8 hours, as your schedule allows.

If using uncooked chick peas, set in water to soak.

Afternoon:
Put uncooked chickpeas in pot, cover very well with water, leave to boil. Be sure to replace water as needed or the hummus will taste like charcoal. You can also use canned chickpeas... Chickpeas are done when they are very soft--their outside coverings will have slipped off and be floating around with them. Takes roughly 3 hours, but keep an eye on them.

Sprinkle 1T salt then 1T oil (olive) over sponge. Stirring in same direction add all purpose flour until dough is moderately firm and elastic with a slight sheen. Takes about 10 minutes of kneading. Place in clean dry bowl coated with oil. Lightly coat dough in oil as well. Cover, and leave to rise to double.

If making tahini, toast sesame seeds lightly--spread out on cookiesheet and place in preheated 350F oven for ten minutes, turning often.

Evening:
Dough can be placed in closed container/plastic wrap and stored in fridge for up to a week, if you like. If it's dinner time, either preheat a cookie sheet (air-layered baking sheet works best, if you have one... if you want to be really fancy, line the oven with quarry tiles (for "Martha Stewart like" perfection, use an actual tiled oven)) or heat up a skillet/griddle, lightly oiled. Divide dough into 16ths and roll out into flat circles. The rounder they are, the better the pockets will be. Should be less than a quarter inch thick. Bake in oven for about five minutes, or on griddle, also for about five minutes. Pockets form magically on their own, if circles are fairly round and heating is fairly even.

If making tahini, blend toasted sesame seeds with small amounts of oil on high setting. Harder than it sounds, but don't worry about cleaning out the blender, since you'll make your hummus in there.

Put a third cup of water and an equal amount of lemon juice in blender. Add tahini (quarter cup ish), clove of garlic, seasonings. Very slowly add cooked/canned chickpeas, preferably while blender is on. Blend on high. Continue to flavor as needed. Add more water if it's too thick. Etc. Sprinkle finished hummus with paprika for nice touch. Good with nice olives.

Slit pita pockets with knife. Fill with hummus. Eat. Store hummus and unused pita dough covered in fridge. Don't bake much more pita than you can eat--like most breadstuff, it doesn't keep well.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Kella gave me the ultimate recipe for Muhummara, which is a sweet and spicy roasted red pepper dip that kicks righteous arse. And, it is so very easy. Enjoy!

Muhummara

2 1/2 red bell peppers
2 habanero chilies (or more or less to taste)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 c walnuts
1/2 c wheat crackers
2 1/2 TB pomegranate molasses
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sugar
2 TB Extra Virgin olive oil
Garnish: ground cumin, toasted pine nuts, and olive oil

Roast red peppers on the grill until the skin is blackened (for about 15
minutes; turning frequently) or roast them in the oven at 450 degrees for about 1/2 hour-45 minutes until blackened. Place them in a metal bowl and cover with a
plate until they come to room temperature. Peel them and remove seeds and stem. Place in a colander and let drain for 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally.

Place the remaining ingredients, except the olive oil, in food processor and
process until smooth.

Add bell peppers and process until smooth. (You can't really over processes
it.)

With processor running, add olive oil in a thin stream.

Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or up to one week; the longer the better.

Before serving, bring to room temperature and garnish with ground cumin,
toasted pine nuts and a little olive oil.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Holidays are a time of eating, drinking and being merry. So, who's got a good and healthy holiday dish to share with us?

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, do I ever!!

Not really HOLIDAY food, but since it's the season for bitter cold outside (here in the Midwest, anyway). So here is some lovely:

Vegetarian Chili

1/3 Cup olive oil
2 Cups chopped onion
3/4 Cup chopped celery
1 Cup chopped green peppers
1 Cup chopped carrots
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 Cups chopped mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 Tablespoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt (I usually skip this one)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 Cups tomato juice (V-8 or Spicy V-8 works even better)
3/4 Cup bulgur wheat
2 Cups chopped tomatoes
2 Cups (1 20-oz can) kidney beans
1/2 teaspoon Tobasco
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1/4 Cup dry red or white wine (Red makes it heartier, white makes it sweeter, skip the wine if you're not old enough to buy it!)
2 Tablespoons chopped canned green chilis (or substitute real, fresh chilis)

Heat oil. Add onions, green peppers, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, spices, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes, uncovered. (It can simmer for hours if you have other things going on). Thin with additional tomato juice if needed.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And 2 recipes for good-for-you sweets, taken from the Richard Simmons Sweetie Pie cookbook!

Cinderella Pumpkin Pie

CRUST

3/4 Cup cake flour
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Pinch salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) 70% buttermilk-vegetable spread, cut into pieces and chilled
2 Tablespoons cold water

FILLING

1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
1 Cup evaporated low-fat milk
1/2 Cup maple syrup
1/3 Cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1 large whole egg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch salt

1 Place oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2Make crust: In a medium bowl, stir together both flours, sugar, and salt. With pastry blender, 2 knives used like scissors, or your fingertips, cut in vegetable oil spread until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cold water, and toss lightly with a fork to moisten. Gather into a ball.

3 On lightly floured wax paper, roll out dough to 12-inch round (it will be thin). Invert waxed paper with dough into 9-inch pie pan. Peel off waxed paper. Fit dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Crimp edges to form 1/4-inch-high border around edge. With fork, prick bottom of crust in several places.

4 Bake on lowest oven rack in 425 degree oven until very pale gold, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool briefly. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.

5Make filling: In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, milk, syrup, brown sugar, egg whites, whole egg, the spices, vanilla, and salt, until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Carefully return pan to lowest oven rack.

6Bake on lowest oven rack in 350 degree oven until center is firm, not jiggly, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

NUTRIENT VALUE PER SLICE:
174 calories, 4 g protein, 5 g fat, 28 g carbohydrate, 114 mg sodium, 25 mg cholesterol
(Compare this to the 286 calories and 13 g fat in a traditional frozen pumpkin pie!)

-------

Oatmeal-Cranberry Cookies

Nonstick vegetable-oil cooking spray
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) 70% buttermilk-vegetable oil spread, at room temperature
2/3 Cup pakced light-brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 Cups dried cranberries
1 Cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.

2 In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.

3 In a second medium bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat vegetable oil spread until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg whites, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir by hand until flour is no longer visible. Stir in cranberries and oats.

4 Onto prepared baking sheets, drop batter by slightly rounded teaspoons, spacing them 1 1/2 inches apart.

5 Bake in 350 degree oven until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

NUTRIENT VALUE PER COOKIE
50 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g fat, 8 g carbohydrate, 43 mg sodium, no cholesterol.
(traditional oatmeal cookies have 117 calories and 4 grams of fat per cookie.)

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple of favorites around our house:

Kyth's Vegetarian French Bread Pizza Thingies

1 loaf of fresh french bread
1/2 package fat-free or low-fat cream cheese
3-4 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
1 small can chopped olives
1 small bell pepper, sliced thin
1 small onion, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 small can chopped olives
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped up
4-6 ounces grated cheese -- I use the pre-grated Italian mix, because I'm lazy.

Slice the french bread lengthwise and cut into big-ish chunks. Spread a bit of the cream cheese on each slice. Put the vegies on top of that, and then sprinkle the grated cheese over it all. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and the bread is crisped up a bit.

Vegan version: brush the bread with olive oil, leave off the cream cheese, and use soy/rice/whatever cheese substitute instead of the grated cheese. Or leave the cheese off altogether.

Chicken Caesar-ish Salad

1 cup romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bits
1 cup vegies: tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, onion, celery, whatever you like
1 small chicken breast, cooked (I usually bake or grill it) and cut into pieces
Annie's Caesar Salad Dressing (available at
health food stores)
croutons and grated parmesan or romano cheese for garnish

Dump the lettuce into a bowl, add vegies and chicken. Sprinkle with croutons and grated cheese, if desired, and top with dressing. Vegetarians can, of course, leave off the chicken, or use baked tofu instead.

Squash-Hater's Squash Soup

Olive oil
2-3 small onions, chopped small
1-3 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 large white potato, peeled and chopped
4-5 carrots, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped

Lots of water or chicken broth

thyme, marjorum, salt, and pepper for seasoning

In a big soup pot, heat some olive oil, and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are transparent. Remove from heat.

Chop up all the vegies and dump them into the pot. Fill the pot with water or broth, and add the spices. Cook until vegies are mushy and it smells yummy.

If you have a squash-hater in the house, banish them from the kitchen until all vegies have been chopped and the evidence has been destroyed. Refuse to answer questions about the ingredients of the soup. Put bowl of finished product in front of squash-hater, hand them a spoon, and wait for the complements.

My partner and my brother-in-law both insist that they hate squash, but they'll eat this soup as fast as I can put it in front of them. I just haven't told them yet what's in it.

Kyth, evil cook who also hides tofu in lots of food

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 12-11-2001).]

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, you sneaky food hider, you! My own dear mother is also rather fond of such sly cooking techniques, which I don't mind when it comes to her sneaking meat substitute in boleagneise (I have no idea how to spell that), but I did get rather annoyed when she put meat stock into my soup.
She won't do that again in a hurry.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
inspired by sunday brunch dim sum!

Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan) with Oyster Sauce

Get some gai lan (chinese broccoli -- it's like broccoli, but leafy and less branched). Cut into 5 inch pieces, lopping off the thick, tough part of the stem.

Get a wok or a big frying pan. Pour in just a litttle bit of water (maybe a few millimeters deep) and a little bit of olive oil. Turn heat on HIGH. Let it boil.

Throw on broccoli, cover slightly and let blanche for a minute or two (three if it's really big pieces).

Put broccoli on serving platter. Drizzle with a little bit of oyster sauce (a little goes a long way). you can get oyster sauce at any Asian supermarket, or in the "exotic food" section of your regular supermarket. If you don't want to drizzle the sauce on, you can serve it on the side.

If you are a vegan, there are oyster sauce substitutes made with shiitake mushrooms. Also very tasty

There you have it, a very simple dish that'll be sure to please.

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Ah, another Chinese-type recipe for your palates.

Daikon Radish Soup
===================

Daikon is a large white radish that has a very mild favor and looks like a giant, albino carrot on steroids. You can find them at almost any supermarket.

Get one large daikon (about 3 inches thick, 18 inches long). Pare it, cut off the top and end. Cut into quarter-inch thick slices, cut slices into half-circles if you don't like giant chunks of veggies in your soup.

Dice two or three carrots.

Chop about one-eighth cut of green onions.

Open a can of mushrooms (peeled straw mushrooms are great, but sliced button mushrooms works fine)

Fill a reasonably sized stock pot with water (leaving enough room for veggies). Boil water. Throw in veggies.

Add a few tbsp rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ground pepper and hot sesame oil for delicious vegan-friendly flavor!

If you don't have said seasonings (many ppl don't unless they're really into Chinese cooking), some chicken boullion cubes, soy sauce and ground pepper should work nicely.

Simmer till veggies are tender, but not mush. Should be about 10 or 15 minutes.

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tortillas
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
Mix with hands in decent sized bowl

1 Cup (or a little less) milk, add
2 tsp. oil
Stir together, mix into above until it forms a pretty smooth dough. If some flour doesn't want to work in don't woory about it.

Let sit for fifteen minutes, divide into six, and press with a tortilla press, or roll out thin. Cook each on a large ungreased skillet at medium heat until underside is cooked with little brown spots, flip.

Everything in that recipe is approximate, and should be adjusted to what feels best to you. I measure a lot by sight. And that recipe in and of itself doesn't do too much, but you can . . .

Fill with chili beans and cheese, fold over one side, and heat.

Fill with rice and stirfried veggies, roll up, and bake until sort of crispy.

Just throw in some cheese and salsa and heat until melty.

Spread with peanut butter and jam for a quick snack.

And a lot of other things too. This recipe takes a bit of owrk, but isn't difficult, and it's a lot cheaper than commercial tortillas, plus you have the fun of bread without the extra work yeast needs.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna Salad Recipe:

get tuna (canned) lettuce, and whatever greens you please as well as salad dressing (calorie wise italian is my fave) mix em up and add you own spices including steak spice (pepper medley) and whatever else you please of.
It's fast easy and really healthy.

**you can also make your own salad dresing with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and egg yolk (not much)

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hey, about tuna...I love tuna sometimes. That new tuna from Starkist that comes in the vaccum sealed package is absolutely fabulous. You don't have to drain it, it doesn't smell nearly as much, and I personally think it tastes much fresher.

Yay for tuna!

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by killer_raincoat:
**you can also make your own salad dresing with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and egg yolk (not much)

It's unsafe to eat raw egg, especially for the very young, the elderly, and anyone with a compromised immune system (those with HIV, for instance). There's a risk of salmonella, which is not an especially pleasant experience.

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar will make a lovely dressing on their own, though! Helpful hint: If the oil and vinegar don't want to blend, try putting them in a container with a tight lid, adding an ice cube, and shaking.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beef Stew

I'm not going to give amounts here, because it varies depending on how much you want to make.

Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Lean Beef
Mixed Herbs*
Pinch of Salt

Choose a pot of a size that will hold the amount of stew you want.

Slice potato approximately half an inch thick, spread over bottom of the pot. Follow by a layer of sliced carrot, then a layer of onion. Next, a layer of lean beef (more or less depending on how meaty you like your stew). Then repeat in reverse- a layer of onion, a layer of carrot, a layer of potato. In between each layer, sprinkle some mixed herbs. Boil some water in the kettle, and pour it into the pot until the top layer of potato is just covered. Simmer on low heat.

At first, just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't boil over. When the potato gets a bit softer, push is gently with a wooden spoon to break it up a bit- eventually most of the potato will break up and thicken the stew. As it cooks, add a pinch or two of salt, to taste.

This stew also works well with chicken (chicken breast is very healthy) and lamb (which is pretty fatty, but VERY tasty).

You know the stew is done when the potatos have mostly broken down, and the meat is tender enough that you can break it apart with your wooden spoon. If you have patience, leave the stew overnight- this makes it tastier, more tender, and a layer of fat will rise to the top, which you can then scrape off in order to avoid it being deposited in your arteries.

*About the mixed herbs- these are a Magic Ingredient- add them to any meal that is just "okay" and you will suddenly have people asking you how you managed to make it taste so good. I'm fond of putting them on roast potato, lamb chops, crumbed fish and many other things.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about the mixed herbs, what's in your blend, bep?

i have the following things at my disposal:
thyme
rosemary
pepper
cayenne pepper
chili powder
herbes de provence
garlic
onion

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, now that summer is here and i have a lot of free time on my hands, i've realized how bored i am with eating the same stuff everyday. so i am trying out some of the recipes you guys posted and thought i would add my own:

Stromboli

this is so easy and you can make it with anything you want. i'll give directions for a pizza one:

*one can of french bread dough (you know, like the pillsbury kind)
*small jar of pizza or spaghetti sauce
*one package of shredded mozzerella cheese
*one package of pepperoni
*one bell pepper, cut into thin slices
*half an onion, chopped into small pieces
*1 tablespoon of cornstarch, mixed with water into a runny paste consistency

preheat the oven according to the directions on the french bread roll package

i usually spread a piece of tin foil on a cookie sheet for this operation.

unroll the french bread roll onto cookie sheet (this is kind of tricky, so if you have a friend or family member around, ask them to give you an extra hand or two!)

once the dough is unrolled and flat on the pan, spread a thin layer of sauce over the entire surface, leaving about a 1 inch margin around all sides. (too much sauce will make it runny, so just a thin layer)

next, sprinkle cheese over the sauce (as much or as little as you like)

after that, arrange pepperoni, onion, and bell peppers over cheese any way you like.

make sure not to pile TOO much stuff on or it will be difficult to fold it over.

carefully fold the ends over and then roll the outer edges over and pinch them together where they meet in the middle. the dough should form a seal over the toppings. (p.s. in reality, this is like a HUGE calzone, so it should look kind of like that)

next, brush a thin layer of the cornstarch mixture over the top and sides of the stromboli. this will make it crusty and yummy. you can also sprinkle garlic salt, poopyseeds, sesame seeds, etc on the top if you wish.

bake according to the instructions on the french roll can, cut into pieces and enjoy!!!

also, you can put ANYTHING you want inside, not just pizza ingredients. be creative. my mom makes breakfast ones with sausage and cheese and scrambled egg. you can also not use the sauce if you don't want, make it all veggie, whatever. you really can't mess this one up and its alot of fun to make and eat!!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS!! i didn't mean to put "POOPYseeds" POPPYSEEDS. hehe. sorry
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone got any recipes for veg-nog or really good horchata???

also, i'm inviting more posts of holiday recipes

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

gaea
Neophyte
Member # 10970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mediterranean Salad

1 medium eggplant
salt
2 T oil
8 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 small cucumbers, sliced
1 red onion, very thinly sliced
8 oz feta cheese in ¾ in cubes
2/3 c pitted black olives
1-2 T. shredded fresh basil leaves

Dressing:
1/3 c. olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 T chopped fresh oregano leaves

1. Cut eggplant into 1 in cubes and spread out on a plate. Sprinkle with a little salt and let stand for 30 min. Rinse under cold water, pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat oil in shallow pan, add eggplant. Stir over med heat for 2 min or until eggplant is lightly browned and tender; drain on paper towels, allow to cool. Toss eggplant in a bowl with tomato, cucumber, onion, cheese, olives, and basil.
3. To make dressing: Place all ingredients in a small screw-top jar. Shake vigorously for 10 sec or until combined. Add to salad, toss until mixed well.

Prep time: 40 min
Total cooking time: 2 min
Serves 8

Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inkie
Neophyte
Member # 8840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soy Nog

1 Quart soy milk
6 oz. Mori-Nu silken style tofu, extra firm
6 T. maple syrup
1/4 cup Amaretto, Southern Comfort, brandy, or alcohol of choice
2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cardamom
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves

In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill before serving.

Yield: 5 Cups

I haven't tried this recipe myself yet, but one of my friends made it and loved it.

Posts: 17 | From: my own little world, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those under the legal drinking age, might I mention that various boozy flavoured extracts are available? A couple drops should do the trick, and give a suitable flavour.

I'll post a good pfeffernusse (little hard, wonderfully spicy, low far cookies) recipe if I ever find it again. I was going to put down a good shortbread recipe, but then I looked at the title of this topic again . . .

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

How to jazz up boring canned tomato soup

Simmer your usual boring old canned tomato soup (the condensed kind like Campbells). Add a little less water than you would usually add.

Now, for this, you're going to need your parents' OK because the special ingredient is red wine. Sub some red wine for the water you left out. When I did this, I used a Merlot, and it was good, but I can see a spicy Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah really working wonders in the soup.

Add delicious herbs and seasonings. I find that Italian seasoning blend is excellent (it definitely needs parsely, oregano, basil and thyme). Plus some fresh ground black pepper (and red pepper if you're really daring). top off with croutons and VOILA! your boring tomato soup is all dressed up and ready to go!

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is not incredibly healthy, but it's vegan, so, really, how bad could it be for you?

vegan maple oatmeal cookies
---
2 cups flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

mix dry ingredients.
mix wet ingredients.
add dry ingredients to wet.
form into slightly-smooshed balls.
place on cookie sheet.
bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

the bottoms will get golden brown, and that's when they're done; due to a lack of egg, vegan baked goods don't brown in the way you might be used to.

I just adapted this recipe from one passed out at the library, and made these tonight (they were originally chocolate chip, but I added the maple oatmeal part and fixed the water amount). yum yum!

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A favorite among my friends. Vegan, cheap to make, easy to make, quick to make, healthy, and everyone likes it. A winning dish all around.

Coconut Chickpea Curry

1 can of chickpeas
1 can of coconut milk
1 tomato
1/8 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
3 cloves of garlic

Chop up the garlic into little bits and the tomato into small cubes. Put everything in a pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with rice.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Lemming: i tried your vegan maple oatmeal cookie recipe tonight....A+!!!

i made few minor adjustments based on what i had in my kitchen. i was out of vegetable oil so i used half a stick of margarine. i also used Smucker's Sugar Free Breakfast Syrup for the maple syrup (tastes the same IMO but way less sugar and calories) and also tossed in a tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 c. of dried currants (cause i like them and they were in my cupboard).

anyway, they taste yummy and were super easy to make. definitely going to file this one under "favorite recipes."

here's another quick and healthy recipe:
Pita Pizza

1 whole wheat pita
Roasted Red Pepper Dip (recipe below), Pizza Sauce, or Spaghettie Sauce (any kind you like will do just fine)
Olive Oil
Shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese
Pizza Toppings- go crazy here, whatever you like on your pizza will work well on this one too.....some suggestions:
pepperoni (or turky pepperoni is pretty good)
fresh basil
spinach
tomatoes (sliced fresh roma ones are great; also sundried are yummy)
chopped bell peppers
pepperoncini
mushrooms
onions

1.Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. place pita on cookie sheet
3. spread a small amount (maybe 1/2 tbsp.)of olive oil over pita (don't saturate it)
4. Spoon sauce onto pita and spread over surface.
5. add cheese and toppings
6. heat in oven until cheese is melted.

slice and eat!

i really like mine with the Roasted Red Pepper dip for the sauce:

1 red bell pepper (or the ones in the jar work just fine as well- for time's sake)
1 garlic clove, or about 1 tsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp of tomato sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of oregano

place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until well blended. this dip is a great substitute for salsa, a veggie dip, or
i like to use it for pizza sauce.

happy and healthy eating!

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another quick and ultra-easy recipe:

Ingredients:

wholewheat pasta
broccoli
red bell pepper(s)
couple of garlic cloves, finely chopped
chili-infused olive oil (great stuff to have on hand in a cupboard)

Put the pasta on to boil, as per the instructions on the packet (it'll usually take 11-13 minutes or so).

Once you've got that going, dollop some of the olive oil into a second pan and put it over a low-moderate heat. Add the minced garlic.

Chop the red pepper into medium-sized pieces. By the time you've done this, it will be time to sling them in with the garlic. Stir from time to time.

2 minutes before the pasta is due to be done, mix in the broccoli with the boiling pasta. That way, the broccoli will be perfectly cooked at exactly the same time as the pasta, and you have one less pan to wash up afterwards .

Once the pasta's cooked, drain it and the broccoli, then pour the chili-garlic-and-peppers over the top and mix them in.

The result is multi-coloured and, depending on the chili, can be pretty hot .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this last night and it was quite tasty!

Spinach and Chicken Wrap
========================

Take some grilled chicken and tear the meat off into small pieces
Rinse off some spinach (I guess you could use Romaine lettuce, but I think the stuff is yucky! besides, spinach has much more nutritional value)
Warm a tortilla (or several depending on how many of these you wanna make)
And have some cooked rice handy (Spanich rice works great, but plain rice is just fine)
And if you want an extra kick, some zesty fat-free salad dressing!

Lay out the tortilla, spoon out a row of rice in the middle, lay chicken on, top with spinach leaves and sprinkle on dressing (I used fat-free Italian). Roll up and shine! I mean enjoy!

------------------
more surly than girly...

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

And this is our last night's meal, too. It's very easy, and reasonably wholesome. I made it originally because I didn't know what else to do with what was left in the cupboard. Anyway, it's a soup, and I guess it's vegan, too.

1 or 2 150z cans of seasoned chopped tomatoes
1 can (same size) chickpeas
4 or 5 cans of water
a good handful or rotini or any other small-ish pasta you've got
a big handful or two of spinach (frozen, canned, fresh, whatever)
Any other veggies you'd like, diced (onions, potatoes, carrots, celery . . .)

Drain and rinse the chickpeas and throw then into a big pot. Mush them up a bit with a wooden spoon, and add the water and tomatoes (with juice), bring to a boil. Add the pasta, spinach, and any other veggies, let simmer until everything's thoroughly cooked (add more water if needed, some of it's absorbed by the pasta), and season. I used:
A good tablespoon or so of onion powder, some garlic powder, too.
Some salt and a lot of black pepper.
A wee bit of chili powder, and a couple teaspoons of hot sauce.

Serve with biscuits if you'd like.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Worst attitude of them all!

kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 14 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a perfect summertime meal. Its cool, refreshing, and tastes terrific. I got it off of a newsletter I recieve from, "Weight Watchers".

Chilled Green Gazpacho (cold soup)

Preparation Time-23 minutes

Ingredients:

-2 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
-1 medium cucumber(s), peeled and chopped
-1 cup celery, chopped
-1 cup grapes, green, seedless
-3/4 cup vegetable broth
-4 medium scallions, green and white parts, chopped
-1 slice white bread, crust removed, cubed
-1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp black pepper

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth (if using blender, puree in batches to prevent overflowing).

2. Ladle gazpacho into bowls;serve at room temperture or slightly chilled. Yields about 1 cup serving.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not suitable for vegetarians (or fish-haters), but it's full of essential fatty acids:

Take a tin of sardines in olive oil (preferably with the skins and bones - yes, you can eat the bones too, full of calcium ).
Add the juice of half a lemon and lots of black pepper.
Mash together with a fork until you have a thick sauce.

Pour over cooked pasta (wholemeal pasta is good as it works really well with strong flavours like sardines).

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.