Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » vegetarian and eating at someone else place

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vegetarian and eating at someone else place
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm asking this in case you guys have a few suggestions to give me. I have a hard time trying new food and diversifying my meals, the food I eat. I really don't like a lot of stuff, I think I could count down on my fingertips the food I like.

I hate that because when I get invited over at someones's house, I eat like near nothing most of the time cause I don't like trying new things (and a lot of the time it's new things which I'm not used to eating) and also because most of the time the majority of the meals consists of meat which I just don't eat. And that kinda happens often.

And I'm often the only vegetarian there so pretty much everyone is like looking at me and thinking I just don't like the meal or that I have some sort of eating disorder since I'm not eating much and it's kinda really weird. Like most of the time I'll only be eating the salad or vegetables or so. So I was wondering how you, others vegetarians out there, deal with situations like that ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, half the time, my friends are also either vegetarian or vegan, or just very thoughtful when it comes to being sure to make food everyone can eat. Alas, being a good host does tend to be a skill that improves with age!

But when I don't know if that'll bring the case, I usually simply bring something myself to also share with everyone else, preferably a protein, since it's often easy to get veggies and starch even at meat-eating households. Seitan barbecue is one common bring-along of mine when need be, or seitan gyros, or some baked tofu or something like veggieburgers are super-easy to bring and prepare.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to be fairly bold with this sort of stuff- I'm not a vegetarian, but for religious reasons I'm often fasting from certain foods (not to mention my tummy troubles mean I have a restricted diet as it is!). Usually when asked over for dinner, if I'm not sure there'll be food I can eat, I simply say "Just so you know, I can't eat ___, is that going to cause you extra trouble?" ...and then I usually offer to bring something, much like Heather suggested. Most people aren't offended by this stuff as long as you bring it up ASAP, in my experience.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Thanks. I'm just a really really picky eater and on top of that I'm a vegetarian (I could even say vegan), so it's always kinda chalenging for me when I'm inviter over for dinner or so.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElleBaby06xxx
Neophyte
Member # 36560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElleBaby06xxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey cool87 [Smile]
ive been a vegetarian since i was 8, and i am a picky eater to! to top it off i have contracted anorexia nervosa. I would really recommend trying new foods, as it really does help enormously. dont worry, not evryone is looking at you, being vegetarian/vegan is completely accepted, and very popular! but i would seriously recommend starting to try new foods, as i belive my ana has been aided by my fussiness of food. If you think about it, whats the worst that could happen? you dont like something. i know its daunting, but give it a go. good luck [Smile] and really try because im in a horrible position now, which is terribly tricky to get out of.

Posts: 2 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.