Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » a few questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a few questions
aly71090
Neophyte
Member # 28751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aly71090     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Sometimes I suddenly get a weird stabbing pain in my chest, kind of like between my ribs or something. It hurts a lot and for a few seconds afterward I can't breathe too deeply or it comes back. And then it goes away completely. What is this?

2. I always seem to feel nauseous if I take a shower in the morning without having eaten first. Does anyone else have that?

Posts: 32 | From: manhattan beach, ca | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aly,
I actually get the chest thing sometimes too. I'm not really sure what it is, but it possibly could be heartburn. You should get that checked out though.
As for the shower, do you also take really hot showers? Sometimes you just need to turn the water temperature down and get some fresh air circulating. It might help if you eat something before you take a shower. I used to get that a lot, but now I only get that whenever I'm really sick. So either way, you should go see a doctor just to make sure.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neoonline
Neophyte
Member # 33873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neoonline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aly,
Improper Diet habits.
based on the symptoms you have mentioned, if you observer it is coming when your stomach is hungry for longer times.
I pointed this because you mentioned it coming in the time of bathing, which could be because you have not taken your breakfast , and its been 8 hours since you have taken your dinner assuming you slept immediately after dinner.

So Eat fruits, go to a physician. it could be some kind of gastric ulcers. No Need to be panic.Eat healthy.

--------------------
Sex is not the sole entity in a relationship. There are commitment,trust,and companionship.
One will realize them in unconditional love.

Posts: 21 | From: Matrix | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that chest thing occasionally and unpredictably. My mom also gets them. I am relieved that other people get the chest pains also. I stopped getting them when I went off concerta for a few months, but got 2 or 3 the day I started taking them again.
I found this on the internet, I hope thats not what they are. I was waiting till I got another one so I could test the breathing thing.

"In rare cases, air will leak from a lung to fill the chest cavity. This makes it difficult to breathe. This condition is called a PNEUMOTHORAX."

I don't think its ulcers because for me at least, it is about 3 inches beneath my right nipple, not down by my stomach.

Has anyone ever turned their head fast and felt a sharp pain and a sensation like a really hot liquid running down the inside of your neck?

[ 05-15-2007, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Light ]

Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juniata
Activist
Member # 24611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juniata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know,
unidentified pains are usually nothing to worry about, but if they occur regularly, it's a good idea to ask your doctor about them. They might be your body telling you something.

I myself occasionally get shooting pain down my right arm and heart palpatations. I was concerned about the symptoms so I went to the doctor. I learned that they were just symptoms of stress, but there's no way I could have known for sure, so I'm glad that I checked up [Smile]

--------------------
I LOVE SCARLETEEN. This site is better than sliced bread!

Posts: 83 | From: Northeast | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neoonline
Neophyte
Member # 33873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neoonline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about practicing music ?
It must be something to do with your lung
and Music I mean vocal is best cure from my Dad's experience.

Hey Even I used to get , but now I am playing flute
no isnophelia no pains like this ...

Yes I feel as if some one is crushing my lung inside. Its not a serious problem but consult a Doc.

--------------------
Sex is not the sole entity in a relationship. There are commitment,trust,and companionship.
One will realize them in unconditional love.

Posts: 21 | From: Matrix | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chest pains with breathing may not necessarily have anything to do with the lungs, neoonline. As orca suggested, for example, it could be something as simple and common as heartburn.

(That said, if you feel like someone is "crushing" your lung, you NEED to go see a doctor about that.)

As a general rule, if you experience ANY kind of frequent chest pains, it's a good idea to see a doctor ASAP.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How frequent is frequent ? My cheest pains seem to come and go completely at random
Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you experience this chest pain after or while eating something like potatoes or bread (thick bread like french or foccacia, not just sandwich bread)? That's when I usually get that chest pain, so I'm assuming it has to do either with eating starchy substances or not drinking enough while eating those kinds of foods.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced chest pain after eating heavy,thick bread as well -- it's generally when I'm very thirsty, and it's not truly a chest pain for me . It's my throat being so dry it hurts, so when I breathe in afterward, the throat pain feels like it goes all the way down. It's like swallowing something sharp, but the moment I get something to drink, I'm fine.

More motivation to stay hydrated, I guess.

[ 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: daria319 ]

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

I found the condition that describes the sudden stabbing chest pain!
http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_chest_pain/

FuNnY
Activist
Member # 33753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuNnY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been having chest pains like this since the 2nd time i had pnemonia, has anyone else had pnemonia, cuz that could be why your having them also. just a thought anyway [Smile]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted :)

Posts: 40 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.