Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » The evils of cola!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The evils of cola!
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that's a little over-the-top.

But seriously, I've been raised ever since I was a youngster (starting age 6 or so) to drink cola with every meal. It's an awful habit to try to break, and I find myself dissatisfied with any substitute beverage I try with mealtimes and reach for a can.

I try to keep it down to 2 a day, sometimes three.

Is there anybody around who has broken this habit that SO many young adults have? What beverages are your new favorites/made the process easier? I've suffered long enough from the bad effects of all that sugar and chemicals, and it's time to berid of it for good.

My ideas so far are plain ol' filtered ice water, so that I don't have an excuse to complain about the taste, sweetened hot or iced tea, or fruit juices. Though I have heard that fruit juices are now being frowned upon as well, as they contain similar amounts of artificial sugars.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents raised us drinking milk. We always had soda around, but b/c it was availible, we were much less likely to drink tons of it than if we were denied it. Reverse psychology, I suppose.

Honestly? If I feel a craving for soda, I tend to go for those flavored waters. They still have taste, and usually don't have nearly as much sugar in them. Rasberry is my favorite, though I've taken a liking to orange, too.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a "strange" kid growing up - I really could not stand carbination (I have a sensitive tongue, so carbinated drinks hurt, I also can't use super-minty toothpaste because it kills my tongue [Razz] - funny, though, as a native New Mexican I have no problem with and love spicey foods). So, even though my parents had no problems with me drinking it at friends' houses or at restaurants, I just never wanted soda. It probably helped, too, that neither of my parents were big soda drinkers, so it wasn't around the house except very rarely.

I always drank lemonade or juice (the natural apple or orange sort) or iced tea (and I drank iced tea unsweetened, to boot) at restaurants instead, and water or juice at home.

I started drinking more soda because my friends did in middle school, but that was short lived, since I really just didn't like it and started becoming more health concious in high school.

I'd definitely second Jam's suggestion of trying the flavored waters, or even flavored sparkling waters. OR, if you really hva e a carving for cola? If you've got access to picking them up somewhere, look for the all natural types of sodas (Blue Sky is a brand I drink occasionally) - the natural types quite often use cane juice rather than high fructose corn syrup and don't have phosphoric acid in them, either! Blue Sky, as well as most of the other brands, have a natural Cola as well as various citric/berry flavors.

And I always stand by water, some people need the self-control to avoid the flavored sugary things and just drink water for awhile, but once you get past that hump, you may find that you just don't really want anything else when you go out and that water is better than just fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel [Wink] My mom let us have Diet Coke with every meal since I was about 6, so I'm horribly addicted myself!

I find that what I really miss isn't the sugary taste as much as the carbonation. My new favorite drink when I crave something fizzy is simple low-sodium club soda with a shot of lime juice [Smile]

Out of curiosity, do you also suffer headaches if you don't have any caffiene (like in cola) for a few days?

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't seem to get caffeine withdrawals at all; I have been able to go all day or even all week without touching cola, but that's usually when none's available. I'm addicted more to the taste and bubbles, as you've suggested, I think.

I've thought of making my own soda with seltzer or club soda; that's a good suggestion!

It's strange that water is absolutely sufficient, yet for some reason I always reach for a can. I think you're right, dailicious; once you're over the hump, it's hard to get back into the groove.

In fact, I distinctly remember periods in which my parents refused to buy cola for two weeks (there's 4 or more addicts here; a lot of money!), and after which, cola tasted incredibly harsh.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* I know how that is too... I gave up Diet Coke for Lent a few years ago... but after those 40 days, when I picked up a can it tasted terrible... but unfortunately I just kept drinking it anyway since it was one of the only things available and had a relapse [Wink]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was never allowed to drink Coke when I was younger. Then when I was around 13 or so, my mother decided that I was old enough to make my own decisions and sure enough, my first order of business was developing an addiction to Coke. By the time I started 9th grade, I was drinking 4 cans a day. I realized fairly quickly that that was unhealthy and cut down a little and switched to flavoured sparkling water (Perrier used to have lemon flavoured water).

Still love the taste of Coke, though, and I'll drink it every once in a while (such as when I am out for dinner). Except for some reason, I don't like the way it tastes out of plastic bottles. Got to have it from a can.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adore Coca Cola, for the record.

That said, the last time I had one was when I was in Italy, because Coke produced in the States makes me sick.

Now, I drink the Hansen's Natural sodas. When I have them, I limit myself to one a day. I particularly like the Kiwi-Strawberry, but the Vanilla Cola one is really good, too. I usually drink it with lunch at work. At home, it's juice or water. Lots of water. Usually apple or orange juice, depending on my mood.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an aside, Coca Cola now have to put the nutrtional contents on the can in the UK - and a regular Coke is 39% sugar! Eek!
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Menthol
Activist
Member # 30995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menthol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always perfered the taste of diet... so while the sodium is still kicking my butt, at least i'm not getting any calories or sugar.

But I've managed to cut back alot. I still have a soda when I go out to eat, but in terms of just daily hydration I drink mostly water and hot tea.

I've managed to cut back my caffiene addiction to just one travel-mug cup a day.

--------------------
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
~Ayn Rand

Posts: 85 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Okay, the experiment isn't going so well. My willpower sucks. [Razz]

The problem I'm now running into most is the type of food eaten. I somehow have it in my mind that a good food will be ruined if I don't have it with my favorite beverage.

I mean, who wants to order pizza and have it with tea or water?

I must snap out of it. I must.

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not try a "transitional" mix of sparkling/seltzer water with juices like limeade?

I hear you on this though: Living alone it's easy to avoid cola because I don't have it in the house; however, my parents' house is like a soda fountain. (Although they don't drink it much, my youngest brother does so they've stopped before.)

How about trying to have it be a goal? Like not totally cutting it out but drinking one can every other day? Or making "rules" like a can of soda only after you've had two glasses of water that day? I'll save soda for special meals or times, like when I eat in the uni dining hall once or twice a week.

If it's a question of "good food" = the food + soda, what about trying out some new, "good" foods, like a funky cheese or new spice?

[ 01-13-2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was addicted to Coca-cola for ages, I would drink it with most meals, and for most of my non-mealtime drinks. I had a couple of unsuccessful attempts to give it up, and finally I decided that I would cut down but not stop drinking it all together-- so I limited myself to a weekly gathering with friends.

At one stage, this gathering was cancelled for a week, then at our next meeting I gorged myself on cola, and I felt HORRIBLE afterwards. I couldn't sleep all night because of the sugar and caffiene, and it made my stomach unsettled too. After that, I haven't really had any real desire to drink coke. My main drink is now water (I buy home-brand bottled water, because I can't stand tap water in my suburb, something to do with the pipes) and I have orange juice with meals. I feel much better for it. [Smile]

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with a coke, I have a thing with Iced Tea. It's pretty much all we drink in this house. We have cola & water and such but it's always tea for me [for the most part]. When I don't have it for a couple of days, it's all I can think about!

As for your bubbly needs? Seltzer water. It's awesome. You can also get that in raspberry flavor [I opt for plain old water]. I LOVE that stuff and it is relatively cheap.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never really liked soda. I drink several bottles of seltzer a day, though. Usually I mix in a bit of juice for some flavor. Good luck:)
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Im so addicted to Coke. I try to watch myself and limit it to 2 or 3 if its a bad day. But its hard....And I find if im the one who buys the 12 pack I will just drink a whole bunch during the day.

I cant live without it...I seriously get like withdrawals form not having my coke. And get horrible headaches when I dont have atleast one in the morning to wake me up.

My dentist hates that i drink it. He says you shouldnt brush your teeth after drinking coke at all for atleast 2 hours. and if you do you need to wash your mouth with water first to get rid of the acids or something.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quit drinking coke 4 years ago when I realized how bad it was for you. I used to have headaches about once a week, and they have stopped entirely. Looking back, I think it was caffine withdrawl sympoms that I was experienceing. Try switching like I did to soda's without caffine first, and add water, milk and tea if you need the caffine. A sprite goes along well with much of the stuff that coke does, and it is much easier to stop drinking sprite than coke. Wish you luck!
Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bakingprincess
Neophyte
Member # 32285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bakingprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that I was ever really addicted to cokes, but I definitely enjoyed them. However, when I wanted to lose a few pounds (about five years ago) I cut cokes out of my diet. I'll enjoy a Diet Pepsi every now and then if I'm eating pizza or I'll take a swig of my boyfriends Dr. Pepper if I'm thirsty, but as far as craving a coke goes, I never really do. I loved Sprite as a kid, but cokes in general are just SO bad for you.

Anyway, if you just cannot live without carbonation, the best drink (or so I've read) for you is Root Beer because it's base comes from the earth. They have organic root beer that is really really good.

I love POM White Peach tea. It is SO good, but expensive, so I rarely drink it. As far as everyday goes, I'm a fan of water and tea. Sugar free Kool-Aid is also something I enjoy. Anyway, good luck on quitting the habit! lol It's a hard one to break!

Posts: 30 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(dandelionkate-

My favorite part about the POM teas? I get a yummy iced tea AND a free glass to add to my dish set.)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Thanks for your well-wishing and good ideas, everyone!

I've compromised on a few occassions with water, tea, or seltzer, so I don't beat myself up when I reach for a Coke. Everybody has their vice, and I think it's the least of some pretty hefty ones!

I'm just committed to burning those extra calories off, and making sure I drink plenty of water each day.

As an afterthought, think I'll throw in here about Sprite, since it seems we have some experts here. [Smile]

I actually enjoy it about as well as Coke and get it in restaurants when I'm able. Does anyone know if it's LESS bad for you, calorie and sugar aside, because it has less colorants and artificial flavors? I've noticed I get less bladder symptoms when I make the switch, and was wondering if that has to do with it being clear.

[ 01-26-2007, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about how the color affects you, but I believe that sprite is less acidic then coke (sounds like a science project!) so maybe that helped you.
Actually, artificial flavors are not bad for you, for one, they are used in incredibly small doses ( I actually think Coke has one of the highest concentration of flavors: 11$ per can) on the order of a few drops per swimming pool sized amount. Artificial flavors are chemically the same as natural flavors, but less likely to be contaminated. For instance, the "natural" flavor of almonds (benzaldehyde) is derived from peach and apricot pits and contains traces of hydrogen cyanide, an extreamly potent posion. However, when it is made by mixing oil of clove and amyl acetate, it is poison free. Just because a flavor is "natural" doesn't mean that it is better for you.
I found some results about the acidity of soda.
Coke pH :2.44
Pepsi pH: 2.46
Dr. Pepper pH: 2.93
Sprite pH: 2.88
Moutain Dew pH : 3.23
Mug root beer pH: 4.06.
stomach acid PH : 2-4
I'll let you draw your own conclusions. [Wink]
Of course, Sprite does not have caffine, and coke does, maybe thats causeing your problem.

Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much quit drinking anything but iced water around christmas last year, because i was just so sick i couldnt think of drinking anything else or eating anything but pitta breads [Frown]
this made me lose 2 stone o_o but now i feel so much better for not drinking much else at all.
I'll have a sprite or a 7up with some meals but now I'm so used to water the bubbles kinda hurt in a way, and i have never been able to finish a can of anything ever [Razz]

I recently got the oppertunity to try root beer and mountain dew...yuck!
root beer tastes and smells like surgical spirit, and mountain dew tastes like watered down, slightly-odd-flavoured coke [Razz]
But the shop of american products I got it from is still a godsend [Big Grin]

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

There's no root beer in England?? Funny, I guess when I went, I didn't miss it, as I was busy filling my tummy with lemon Fanta... that stuff is yummy!! [Big Grin] and we don't have it in Canada!

--------------------
Lea

Lunabell
Neophyte
Member # 32448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunabell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fiance had a real addiction to soda for awhile, so I suggested that he drink carbonated water. I don't know much about how healthy it is honestly, but I know it doesn't have the sugars and whatnot that sodas do, but you still get the bubbly'ness that you're used to. =) Could be an option!

You can find them in nearly any grocery store, and usually for under a dollar.

[ 01-27-2007, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Lunabell ]

Posts: 4 | From: NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsaymarie
Neophyte
Member # 32055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindsaymarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing how evil soda is, but it's really hard for me to quit! It's so good! I'm really trying hard though. When I go to a restaurant I used to always get soda but now I get unsweetened iced tea. I drink a lot of green tea, and soy milk, and water when I'm at home, but every now and then someone will open a coke and offer me some and it's too hard to resist.

There's also the sick fact that at my school, a Mountain Dew costs a dollar, but a little thing of juice costs $3.50! Even though I bring my own lunch and I'm broke, there's always a few people who buy sodas at my lunch table, and it's hard to not drink a couple sips!

But other than that, I've been pretty good, and I'm really proud of how far I've come and i'm even starting to get to the point where I don't feel so good when I do drink pop.

Posts: 14 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're having trouble finding cola alternatives, I'd recommend carbonated fruit juices, like Juice Squeeze: it's nowhere near as sugary as coke and it has that nice bubbly taste from the carbonation. Fruit juice is good for you as long as there are no added sugars, chemicals or preservatives, etc, just be sure to drink lots of water, too. I keep a bottle of water around me all the time and fill it up whenever it gets empty. (I've got no problem drinking tap water.. but that may just be the tap water is unusually good where I live [Big Grin] )
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

not to put anyone off bottled water, but does it taste funny to anyone else? I have heard about the higene in the bottled water plants, so maybe its just psycological, but bottled water tastes bad to me. Tap water is fine though. Does it taste funny to Anyone else ?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Different brands have different tastes, Light - I've definitely noticed this, and there are certain brands I just cannot drink. Depending on the area you live in, tap water is perfectly fine to drink, but there are some areas where tap water isn't the best stuff around. I've found that picking up a filtered water pitcher (Brita's a brand I've always liked) really helps - the filter's a pretty simple design, and it takes out a good bit of the gunk that can be in city water, without having some of those weird bottled tastes.

And to second what Gwaihir mentioned - Odwalla and Naked juices are awesome. Super-duper healthy and yummy!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

bakingprincess
Neophyte
Member # 32285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bakingprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are different tastes for different brands of bottled water.

I always buy spring water because it is natural and I find the taste is better. Dasani and Aquafina is tap water that has been purified (basically it is exactly what comes out of your fridge door)

Anyway, (I love the glasses that POM tea comes in, I have like, a cabinet full! lol)

Posts: 30 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bohemian
Neophyte
Member # 31031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why do i get most hyper if I drink lucozade? anything in it which is particularly different?
anyways, I've managed to curb my love of fizzy drinks, though i do eat and drink a load of other junk...too much sugar.
instead of fizzy drinks i tend to drink fruit juice, and i now love innocent smoothies [Smile]

[ 01-31-2007, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Bohemian ]

Posts: 18 | From: U.K | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laur12
Neophyte
Member # 32691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laur12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok I didn't feel like reading every single post that people left, so someone might have said this already. However, my suggestion to you and one of my personal favorite drinks is seltzer water. All it is is carbonated water! So if it's the carbonation you miss, I think that's about the best suggestion I could give. There is plain seltzer water, but it also comes in many flavors. I'm pretty sure there is no sugar in it, so you get the carbonation without the extremely unhealthy effects of soda!
Posts: 22 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You get most hyper if you drink Lucozade because it's mostly glucose, which gives you a massive overload of energy.
I personally gave up fizzy drinks somewhere between 1 and 2 years ago, I drink tap water only now. Being in a hard water area it has lots of calciummy ions, so it has a hint of a taste. [Big Grin]
I drink gingerbeer/lemonade very occasionally, and the even more occasional beer/cider(/vodka).
I find it helps to take a bottle of water to college/work, so that it's right at hand if you're thirsty, and that way you get used drinking it.
Side note, just saw the following conversation on TV:
Want a drink?
What do you have?
Tea?
Stronger.
Coffee?
Stronger.
Bleach?
Back a bit.
Lager?
Stronger.
Lager with vodka?
Atta boy.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.