Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Can't eat new foods...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't eat new foods...
tabatha11
Neophyte
Member # 31225

Icon 9 posted      Profile for tabatha11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I've always been a really picky eater, and not really up for trying anything new. For a resolution this year I want to try out lots of new foods, but I'm finding it a real struggle.

Whenever I put something new in my mouth, even sweets or things that look nice and people seem to enjoy, I feel sick and have to spit it out. As a result I end up eating the same plain food all the time, and people moan at me a lot. Some foods I used to like when I was younger I can't bear thinking about eating any more.

Sometimes I like the taste of something but the texture just makes me feel weird. I have a habit of cutting all the edges off my meat in case theres a gooey fatty bit lurking there, and I only eat plain pizzas because the mixture of taste and texture isn't pleasant.

My sister suggested just leaving a bit of food in the mouth for a while and not chewing or really tasting it, but it does't seem to work.

I'd appreciate any tips or guidance! [Smile]

Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pretty picky eater too, which is still hard because I'm also a vegetarian, so I can't always afford to be picky.

I also have a thing about texture. I could love the way a food tastes, but the texture makes me want to gag. Mashed potatoes, for example; like the taste, HATE the texture. Same with eggs.

Variety is always a good thing, and you should never feel the need to limit yourself, but honestly, what I've found is that if you eat a balanced diet, even if there isn't much variety, you can get along just fine. Variety is nice, but for some of us, we like what we like how we like it, and that's just the way it is.

Part of the problem I see is that it seems like you are forcing yourself to try these new foods. By all means, when the occasion arises, at least give yourself a chance to see what it's like, but don't feel the need to knock off one different food a week or anything. Some of my favorite foods now are ones I never would have picked out on my own, but instead was exposed to for whatever reason.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabatha11
Neophyte
Member # 31225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabatha11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's not really the texture of one thing I find hard, but if it's a whole bunch of textures in one item of food I find it hard to eat.

Sometimes I feel that the food I eat isn't wonderful, and I need to try new things to give myself some variety and maybe get myself a bit healthier, I don't eat many greens for example.

You're kinda right about the forcing food down part...it's such a 'big event' when I try something new at the sunday dinner table that everyones watching me and I feel that I have to get it down, but I need a little space. Today my problem was eating these candies my boyfriend sent over from Finland...he really likes them and I want to like them too, and when I tried forcing one it just wouldn't agree with me.

In that respect I'm not really sure what to do, but I really appreciate your good advice, thanks much.

Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to be a very picky eater than I went vegan and basically now I will eat anything haha. Because I dont have much food to choose from in general and soy products do taste alot different I've aqquired the taste for it.

You could try like when your trying something new to put a sauce on it you like. (Like Ketchup, mayo, soy sauce...etc) Eventually though you will get an aqquired taste for things.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not very picky at all to be honest, but I find whenever I eat something new it helps me if my first encounter with it is not as my main meal, but either as a starter (in a restaurant) or by trying some when somebody else has it. That used to work well mainly because my dad always offered, so that I could try new things without the intimidation of a plateful.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.