Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Sleep Troubles.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep Troubles.
Master_Of_Puppets
Activist
Member # 29525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Master_Of_Puppets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been putting off asking about this because I really didn't consider it a big deal up until this week. My trouble is not in getting to sleep - its feeling energized the next morning. No matter what time I get to bed I never feel refreshed in the morning. Two nights ago I went to bed at 7pm because I was exhausted and woke up at 7am...I felt like I could have slept for another five hours easily. Thinking that maybe that was just a fluke I tried going to bed at 6pm last night, woke up at 7:30 and still felt tired.

I don't understand what more I can do to feel better?

I don't eat breakfast until about 8-10am. I come home really tired from school on some nights - not shocking. On those nights its not unusual for me to crash at 4-7pm. I'm in grade 12, its summative task time and I take pride in keeping my average above 80% in four university level courses. I work hard - so I know my energy is well spent. My mother who was in remission, was also recently diagnosed with lung cancer...I've had quite a bit on my mind, but I'm not really feeling stressed out or anything. I sleep when I tired. I just wish I could shake the grogginess.

Its getting to be a bit of a problem. I need to be at my best to perform well in school. I also have a duty to not upset my mother during this time, I need to keep myself together because she has bigger things to focus on. A couple days ago she talked to my guidance counsellor at school about the fact that I'm not sleeping well. She says she's worried about me because of it and thinks its her fault...I have a good relationship with both, but I don't know what I can say to them regarding my 13 hour nights.

I really don't feel stressed. I've been through seeing mom being treated for cancer before - not that I want to do it again - but its nothing new. I'm not scared of it.

Whats the deal? I take my vitamins and eat a meal every morning. Is there anything more I can do?

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems you're sleeping too much. The body is a crazy thing; you feel exhausted, so you naturally sleep more, which only adds to the problem.

It's actually been found that people wake up sluggish and exhausted after sleeping 11 hours or more. It's part of survival instinct; your body figures you must be horribly ill or under a lot of hardship to require so much rest, so it shuts everything on low to help you perserve energy.

Try cutting back the amount of time you sleep a little bit every couple of days. Set your alarm for 15 minutes earlier for a few days, then to 30, and so forth, until you're sleeping 8-9 hours a night.

If you're experiencing other problems (such as depression, for example) that you think could be causing or contributing to this, a visit to your doctor is highly advised. Why not get checked out anyway, just to make sure something else isn't making you feel so ran down?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.