Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » muscle & fat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: muscle & fat
buffguy
Neophyte
Member # 27444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buffguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've heard that if you have a generally thicker, fattier body, that any weight-training that you only puts muscle under your fat, and doesn't actually replace it. does pure fat get replaced by muscle?
Posts: 32 | From: ny | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*nods* I'm no expert but I certainly have heard that rumour about exercising your STOMACH muscles and that puts fat under it, if that's what you mean.

--------------------
what makes the one to shake you down?
each touch belongs to each new sound
say now you want to shake me too
move down to me slip into you

Posts: 74 | From: BOBD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
buffguy, lean mass gain and fat loss are separate processes that usually coincide with each other. You do cardio to burn the fat, but you do resistance training to increase the muscle.

Yeah, I am a little fattier, too. and that means it can be tougher for me to get rid of fat because my body is gentically predisposed to hold onto the stuff. But the combination of cardio, weight training plus a sensible diet all have helped me burn off a few percentage points of fat and increase my lean mass.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atticus Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weight training is actually a form of cardio. And what happens is that weight training speeds up the metabolism; benefitting more with the fat burning process. For some however, it may not be enough, so short sessions of light/moderate aerobic exercise might be necessary.

The only way that weightlifting will put muscle under fat is if you don't efficiently burn the fat...which usually means you'd need to have a clean diet. I say this from personal experience, because a year ago, I ate DIRTY while trying to bulk and put on muscle. I'm naturally skinny with a fast metabolism, so I thought that gave me leeway to eat aaaanything I wanted. While I did gain muscle, it was seemingly hidden under a layer of fat.

Ever since I cleaned up my diet, my physique has been lean and defined. The muscles are now actually visible too. [Smile]

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.