Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Passing out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Passing out?
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

This afternoon I was just standing in the bathroom and then the next minute I woke up on the floor. Im guessing I just passed out, I didnt hit my head or anything. But usually if I faint from something I get a sick feeling before hand a get kinda wierd vision. But this time I just woke up laying on the floor, not even sure how long I was there for. Has anyone else had this happen? I have not had this before. I felt strange after it, not really sick, just odd. Can that just happen from stress or something? It freaked me out just a bit so I was wondering if anyone has had that before or anything? I really dont need to be sick on top of all that is going on. [Frown]
Thanks for your help once again.
Nixie

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've been through some awful stress of late, Nixie. It's not really surprising that you're experiencing some physical symptoms to match.

Fainting for any reason is general cause for alarm, and it would be best for you to get in to a doctor.

In the meantime, take good care of yourself. Eat well, drink plenty of water, and try to get enough rest. I'd imagine it's hard to deal with getting sick in addition to what you've been going through of late, but giving yourself the down time illness allows may do you some good on both ends.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deadhead89
Neophyte
Member # 30200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadhead89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same exact thing happend to me in the bathroom too, but i woke up with a bloody nose. It was from some medicine i was taking, and lack of nutrition. Just...rest and eat healthy foods!
Posts: 33 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Nixie, are you eating well ? Do you eat enough ?

I know, sometimes myself, when I don't feel great or I feel stressed or busy I sometimes forget to eat and this can cause me to almost faint. So even if I'm not hungry because I feel stressed or something like that, I still eat at let's say every three hours to help my blood sugar level stabilized.

Stress can totally cause a drop in your blood sugar level and therefore cause you to faint.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of good resources on the web that describe the many possible causes of fainting. Search on "fainting."

If you feel fainting coming on, which I realize you didn't this time, then lie down so you won't fall down and possibly get hurt badly.

Then the standard method of preventing fainting is twofold:

1. Raise your legs above the rest of your body. I once almost fainted in a doctor's office and I was on a table that tilted and a physician's assistant tilted me at a steep angle with my head downward. The physician, who was very good at this sort of thing, quickly said, "Tilt it more." They tilted me at about a forty-five degree angle so I was almost sliding off the table. If they could have stood me on my head they would have.

2. If you can do it without standing, or if there is someone around who can help, get a washcloth or even a paper napkin -- anything that will hold water. Make it wet and put it on your forehead and temples. Cooling that area with water is extremely effective.

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VapoRub
Neophyte
Member # 30568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VapoRub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also consider whether or not you are locking your knees when standing for longer periods of time. I learned this the hard way when I was in jROTC. I faint often and have a low heart rate- taking daily vitamins, not standing up too quicky (I know that sounds strange), and not locking my knees help a lot.
Posts: 5 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with what Mr Matthew said, try lying down if you feel faint or whatever and definitely go and see your doctor if it continues to happen. I have an anxiety disorder that causes me to pass out because of an imbalance in the stress hormones (adrenaline and something else, can't remember what) and its easily manageable now i know what it is and can treat it with a combination of the contraceptive pill (which you wouldn't expect i know) and beta blockers or anti-depressants (they sometimes change my meds according to need) and counselling appointments.

Try not to worry about it. There could be a range of causes from temporary lightheadedness, lack of correct viatmins, dehydration, stress or anything else really. Definitely see your doctor if it keeps happening or happens even just once more, it could need investigating.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master_Of_Puppets
Activist
Member # 29525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Master_Of_Puppets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definately support Mr. Matthew's advice. While donating blood I felt faint and did pass out momentarily...my fantastic nurse did exactly what he discribed in his post. It sounds silly to be toes-up, but its better than passing out and hitting your head while alone or something, isn't it?

I was actually with THREE guy friends at the time haha. It was pretty comical.

-Eat well.
-Drink water.
-Mention it to your doctor.
-Lie down if you feel like blacking out.
-Let someone know that you don't feel well.
-Stay calm.

[ 09-03-2006, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Master_Of_Puppets ]

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though there are causes of fainting that are serious, a common one is the vasovagal reaction. This is where people faint because of a reaction to pain or fear, as sometimes hapens to people undergoing medical procedures. As Master_Of_Puppets did, I fainted while giving blood.

A doctor once said to me, jokingly but truthfully at the same time: "You fainted because you're healthy. You have low blood pressure."

People with low blood pressure tend to have vasovagal reaction more than others.

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.