Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Pineapples and Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pineapples and Periods
baby87
Neophyte
Member # 15807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baby87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this excerpt while trying to dig out info on what relation pianeapples have with periods...
quote:
"They thought heavy periods are caused by drinking too much cold water. Some women who have already entered menopause try to induce menstruation by eating pineapple."

A GP was commenting that many women are not well informed of certain things. And i realised that this was actually true, especially for those around my age...

So I was wondering, do pineapples really "incude menstruation and relieve cramps" (as I concluded from my digging)?

And does cold water have any effect on periods, other than seemingly adding to my monthly cramp pains?

sorry for the long post!

Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really think this accurate info. I've never heard of that before.

I drink cold water and I don't see the effect on my period.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpimconfuzzled
Activist
Member # 28953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpimconfuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different things affect different periods and people, were not all the same [Smile]
Ill do some digging of my own and ill see what I come up with.

Posts: 91 | From: uk | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know and have ever read, I don't know of pineapples having tested medicinal value for menstrual symptoms. then again, i'm not terribly well versed in homepathic remedies.

they're tasty though, and full of vitamins and fiber. i wholly endorse people eating more pineapples.

if the supermarket were open now, i'd totally go buy some.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like they're describing popular myths and misinformation that people believe, not actual facts.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lollipop89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to pineapple, so I hope that I'm not in fact missing out on any miracle cramp cure! [Wink]
Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baby87
Neophyte
Member # 15807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baby87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm... well, according to a lot of websites that I found, they said that pineapples contain a lot of bromelain, an enzyme that is thought to help relax muscles and therefore help with menstrual cramps.

http://www.epigee.org/menstruation_cramps.html
http://www.roex.com/ingrediants.htm (Under bromelain)
http://www.hotlib.com/articles/show.php?t=Natural_Hair_Care (this is where it says that it INDUCES menstruation as well)

and a few more....

I love pineapples too...i only don't like it when they cut my tongue.. [Frown]

[ 06-30-2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: baby87 ]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baby87
Neophyte
Member # 15807

( i'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to outer sides...i couldn't find anything in the guidelines..)
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you are allowed too if the sites are appropriate and if it isn't adult sites.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've honestly never heard anything about pineapple or pineapple juice having any effect on menstruation. The only things I've really heard about are raspberry tea and ginger, and they're both supposed to be good for "menstrual complaints" according to The Master Book of Herbalism by Paul Beyerl.

I have heard, however, that "young pinapple juice" has been rumored to induce a miscarriage; pregnant women and those trying to conceive sometimes refuse to even touch pineapple because of this rumor. However, I haven't found any truth to it.

Strange how these weird old myths circle the 'net, isn't it?

[ 06-30-2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: daria319 ]

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whiskeyginger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard about that, you have to eat them when they are young and unripe. {Edited -- much of the information the the page you linked to dealt with herbal methods that should only be used under the supervised care of a professional because they can be harmful or even deadly. For that reason, this link has been removed.}
Scroll down, you'll see it eventually.

[ 07-01-2006, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posts: 36 | From: HustlinEverywhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baby87
Neophyte
Member # 15807

yeah..I heard and read about that too. Apparently, a lot of fruits are avoided during the third trimester in certain cultures, fruits that are considered "cold".

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.