Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cleaning
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a little confused as how to "properly" clean your genitals. What is the "smegma"? By non scented soap do you mean just the regular bar soap? My mother doesn't like to buy anti bacterial soap because the bacteria gain a resistance, is it the same kind of idea? Someone in another forum said to "scrub"; but with what, your fingers or something else?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the general idea is to wash your genitals gently with warm water, and a mild soap. Some suggest not using soap at all; it's really a matter of personal preference.

If you want to use soap, look for the kinds that say "unscented" or "fragrance-free" on the label. I personally just use some cheap pure glycerin soap.

Smegma for women is the buildup of thick, whitish fluid under the hood of the clitoris. It can cause pain and discomfort, but is easily removed by soaking in warm water and practicing good genital hygiene. [Smile]

And lastly, I'm very doubtful of "scrubbing". Really, all you need to do is gently rub with your fingertips.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumored
Neophyte
Member # 27901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumored     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that any sort of cleanser will make my vulva smell funky and open me up for the yeasties, but as Miss Lauren proves, plenty of women are just fine with a mild soap.

What works best for me is masturbating to loosen up all the oily secretions and dead cells and then rinsing, but just a little quick, gentle rubbing can get most of it loosened up when I'm short on time.

I think the person talking about scrubbing was either being euphemistic (i.e., talking about masturbation) or didn't realize that most of us tend to think of "scrub" as a fairly vigorous activity. As already mentioned, gently rubbing with your fingers is plenty.

Posts: 33 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.