Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » overweight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: overweight
mustbenice07
Neophyte
Member # 27298

Icon 10 posted      Profile for mustbenice07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 5'2" and I weigh about 120 lbs... am I overweight? My weight seems to ALWAYS change.. one day my scale will say 120 lbs then in like a week it will say 114 or 116 then the next week it will be right back up to 120. We just put new batteries in the scale. Is there something wrong with me? Or the scale?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 10 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a BMI calculator, you aren't overweight by any standards. 120 is a very normal weight for someone 5'2".

However, BMI calculators don't accurately reflect how healthy you are--they can't take into account muscle mass, percentage body fat, etc.

If you have healthy habits, that's all that really matters here. Eat right, exercise regularly, drink tons of water, wear sunblock.

If you have questions or concerns about your health/weight, talk to your doctor. Although s/he will most reiterate what I'm posting here, your doctor can help you learn about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Also, you can be weighed there as well, just to see if your scale is indeed off.

And btw, a lot of people's weight fluctuates a little week to week. It's generally not a big deal unless it's causing you problems.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotesseflower
Neophyte
Member # 27312

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lotesseflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fully seconding everything above, just wanted to add:

Weight fluctuates really a lot, depending on food intake, bowel movements, hydration, ect. If you really want to track your weight, find a routine time to weigh yourself so that the numbers will actually mean something.

I actually don't weigh myself, because I think that it's better to think about health than size. I want to be skinny, but I know that it's better to be strong, and weighing myself makes me obsess about size when that's not where I need to be focussing.

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.