Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » overeating sweet stuff!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: overeating sweet stuff!!!
aimee18
Neophyte
Member # 27184

Icon 8 posted      Profile for aimee18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright so i've been concentrating on eating better since the end of December. I've been exercising about 4 times a week and have no problem keeping that up. I replace some crappy snack food with fruit- overall i'm doing pretty good...
BUT...
Once in a while its good to treat yourself right? Something sweet but SMALL... but its like once i get a taste of something sweet.. i tend to overeat it.. either i eat waaay more than i plan, or i find something else to eat thats sweet.. basicly i binge on sweet stuff..
I need help! anything that would help me stop!! I've tried brushing my teeth.. that works sometimes.. it depends really.. is there anything else that i could do? Does anyone else have this problem??

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's okay to satisfy a craving. if you need something sweet, pick something good and eat just enough of it. Bingeing on anything is bad. It's best to choose wisely. one piece of chocolate is okay. a whole pound of the stuff is not.

i have a sweet tooth myself. i sate it by chewing sugarless gum or drinking a diet soda. that's when i'm not eating fruit or drinking juice.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I help cut down on overeating junk when I want a little bit is to take out a small portion, say two cookies, or a small bowl of chips. Then put the rest of the box or bag out of the way. That way, you're not scarfing a whole bag of chips, or a jar of cookies in one go because you're aware of your portion.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I try to do is never start eating junk food when I'm really hungry, because if I do, I'll end up eating too much. If you get a craving for a sweet food while you're really hungry (or even if you're not), eat something healthy first, like fruit or carrots or whole wheat pita with hummus. Then you'll be more likely to stop after just a small portion of junk food.
Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've kinda trained myself to dislike overly sweet stuff.

I can't handle artificial sweeteners (instant headache that will occasionally become a migraine), so diet drinks are out for me to avoid the insane sugar.

Try to find healthy alternatives.. instead of Honey Nut Chex (which I can hardly eat anymore, too sweet) try something like Shredded Spoonfuls which are lightly sweetened with molasses, not five kinds of artificial gunk..

For me it was a matter of gently backing off. Sweet drinks were cut with water, first a little, then more and more until they're usually about half- I now happily drink (brewed, not fake) iced tea and only put a half packet of real sugar in it if it's weak or a little sour.. either that or some lemonade (which is yum).

Instead of reaching for the bag of cheetos or the bowl of hersheys kisses, have a handful of reduced fat cheese crunchies or something (Trader Joes has really good ones although you might not have them around), or take two kisses or (even better!) shop around a little until you find chocolate you really like and can just nibble on a square of it.. cut it into little bits and just let it melt in your mouth.

going cold turkey is harsh though!

don't drink regular sodas at home (too easy to get more)- at restaurants, etc where you refill yourself, don't fill it all the way- maybe 2/3- and then don't let yourself get refills (of soda, at least).

now soda is my treat

we also now make cookies and brownies at home so they aren't always around.. when they are they're duly savored

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 10 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, when you are purchasing those sweet foods, buy smaller quantities. Instead of buying a bag of small candy bars, just buy one, regular sized bar. That way when it's gone, it's gone. Also, rather than buying a big bag of cookies, get the little single serve bags (the lunch box ones). You'll be less likely to overconsume if you actually have to open a new bag to eat more.

I've also had friends who had lots of success putting notes to themselves on tempting food. So the chip bag gets a note that says, "I CAN eat just one." And the cookie bag will say, "Only 20 calories a piece, limit 5," or something like that.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blink
Activist
Member # 18892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Blink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad says that the two bites of a dessert that you enjoy the most are the first bite and the last bite, and it doesn't always matter how many there are in between. So you just need to really start noticing that.

I would suggest keeping all your junk food in one place, and when you want some, give yourself a small portion, maybe half of what you think is good, and put the food completely away before you eat the portion. Then you can tell yourself that you can come back for more, but you will have to think about whether you really want to because it will take work to get more for yourself. It cuts down on your tendency to eat things because they're there.

Posts: 106 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.