Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » pot smoke

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pot smoke
spark49
Neophyte
Member # 25778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spark49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i smoke a lot of pot. i feel like i need it to relax and get through the day... i am also on medicine for bi polar disorder. i dont tell my doc how much i really smoke because i know he is just going to lecture me. i have told him before and he just got upset telling me i am causing myself to feel the way i do from smoking so much. how bad does marijuana damage the lungs? i have been wondering that for a while. i quit smoking cigarettes after 5 yeaers and have been smoking weed for about 6 years. any ideas to help stop my cravings to smoke? i get full of energy and feel like i need to calm down.
Posts: 6 | From: saanich, british columbia, canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just want something to calm you down, run over to your local supermarket and grab a box of chamomile tea. Throw about 6-7 bags in a coffeepot, and put about 2 cups of water in it. Add some sugar or honey, then down the whole mess. My roommate jokes that this little brew is strong enough to kill a horse, but it's pretty safe. It'll either make you sleepy or really mellow.

I have yet to meet anyone completely resistent to the effects of chamomile.

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spark49
Neophyte
Member # 25778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spark49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm. thanksm ill give it a try
Posts: 6 | From: saanich, british columbia, canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let you know a little more about the damage you may be doing:

Although it isn't a pollutant in the way cigarette smoke is with tars, checmicals, etc, smoke is smoke and it burns your throat and lungs. Everytime you smoke (anything) you are, basically, burning your throat and lungs.

I'd second the idea of finding some relaxing teas to try and help calm you down. Also, have you ever tried anything like meditation or yoga? It may be something to look into to find a bit more involved way of relaxing yourself.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a mental illness (like bipolar disorder) and using illicit drugs is a TERRIBLE combination. Because these drugs are psychoactive, they can interfere with your prescribed meds and they can exacerbate your condition.

how bad is pot smoke for the lungs? Well, if you're smoking it everyday, it's definitely really bad. Joints don't have filters. also, you're not getting a quality controlled product, and it's going to be harsh stuff. pot smoke DOES have tar in it and it does form some unsavory compounds when it combusts.

It's better for your brain and your lungs if you try a healthier way to relax. Exercising regularly is amazingly good for your body, not just weight loss. I find myself feeling a lot less stressed if I go to the gym for an hour.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spark49
Neophyte
Member # 25778

i just cant stop thinking about pot, when i try to not smoke. alll my friends smoke so that doesnt help either. i figure if i quit smoking cigs i can quit smoking weed. im just not sure when i wiill commit to that desicion
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about pot smoke is that it's far less physically addictive (there are debates as to whether or not it is at all, but I won't get into that) than nicotine in cigarette smoke; the addiciton is a mental one, and while those are still difficult to overcome, it is doable, especially if you know you need to for your health.

Try the teas and things that have been recomended for relaxation- also? I'm not telling you you should ditch all your friends if they smoke, but maybe try avoiding being in situations with them where they'll be smoking; or try meeting different people who don't smoke and therefore in their company you won't be tempted to.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always try smoking clove cigarettes if you just feel the need to smoke something. A couple of friends have smoked cloves to wean themselves off of tobacco, and finally stop smoking.

Hell, I smoked them for about two months, but mostly for the smell.(I soon discovered a wonderful brand of clove incense and gave up the nasty habit.)

Lately,though, I'm around so much secondhand tobacco smoke that I can taste it sometimes -- and it's starting to taste good. Thing is, I'm mildly allergic to tobacco, so I couldn't smoke them even if I wanted.

[This message has been edited by daria319 (edited 10-20-2005).]

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bzzt clove cigarettes contain TOBACCO.

Clove cigarettes are made with second rate tobacco, but they add clove oil to them to make them smell nicer. Clove oil also anesthetizes the air passages so that you don't ontice the harsher smoke tearing the hell out of your lungs.

So in short, clove cigs are TOBACCO, and they are not a safe product.

You can find support groups to help you kick a tobaco or pot habit. A good start is to get involved in activities where you can't smoke. Get a job, take up a sport or something. Just keep yourself occupied in a healthy activity where you cannot smoke, and the habit will be less overwhelming.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I realise that simple possesion of marijuana for personal use is a misdemeamor in Spark49's country, it is an illegal activity in most other countries and this thread is dangerously close to violating our Guidelines (Link at top of this page):

quote:
Scarleteen cannot and will not answer questions which pertain to explicit sexual technique or illegal activity, and posts which request such material will be closed or deleted, which includes, but is not limited to, such questions and subjects as:

Illegal drug use or drug abuse (including alcohol use under the legal drinking age)

Stated intent to engage in potentially dangerous or illegal activities or practices

Posts which contain such things may be removed or edited at our discretion for your safety and ours, and as a private entity, we reserve the right to delete any message or user for any or no reason whatsoever, without notice or warning, at any time. We ask that you simply not post them at all.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 10-24-2005).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spark49
Neophyte
Member # 25778

I did not mean to offend anyone, sorry for not thinking about what i was discussing.
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

jsut gotta be careful with the topic. you were already expecting us to tell you pot is bad. and it is. inhaling any smoke is bad. it just gets messy when people come in saying how great the stuff is (which it ain't, seriously). getting busted is bad.

Message to the American stoners who think they're overachievers: getting busted for pot possession will make you ineligible for financial aid and many scholarships. many colleges ask about criminal records, including drug busts. don't f*ck up your chances of getting into college because you wanted to smoke out. that's a great way to screw yourself over big time.

------------------

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.