Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Binge Drinking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Binge Drinking
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure you can already guess my opinion of it...

I was wandering around the Relationships forum today, and I seemed to notice an upswing in threads relating people making big mistakes whilst drunk. So I thought I'd say a few things about binge drinking.

For starters, many of the people on this board are not of the legal drinking age in their area. If you are not legally old enough to drink alcohol, please don't.

As a college student, I've seen my fair share of binge drinking. Heck, last weekend, the host of party I attended insisted on offerng us a ride home. Not only was he still really drunk, but he was underage. So extremely not cool!!! And I've had to clean up my fair share of messes from parties that have gotten out of hand because someone didn't know his limit. Yeah, that's me, the ever-patient girlfriend cleaning up and taking care of a boyfriend who can't drink responsibly. It's pretty clear, I am not a big fan of binging on alcohol.

So, what can you do to avoid binge drinking? It's pretty obvious: don't go to parties where a lot of people will be drinking. And don't hang out with people who are drinking heavily.

But you're probably thinking, "yeah right, let's not have a life altogether." fine then, if you don't want to avoid social situations involving reckless consumption of alcohol, then you're going to have to set some real limits for yourself. you can quantify your limit by saying "i won't have more than three beers, or one cocktail and a beer." Bring your own non-alcoholic beverage (a water bottle, a can of soda, etc.) in case there is none where you are. If you do get drunk, it's important to keep drinking fluids that aren't intoxicating to flush out your system faster.

Volunteer to be designated driver. If possible, get two people to volunteer to stay sober. This way they can keep an eye on each other, and in case one does go get drunk, there's a backup. And if you're a *real* pal, you can keep an eye on your drinking friends to make sure they are safe.

How to stay safe at parties:
If you are drinking, know your limits. It's cliche, but true!!!
Stay close to friends and keep an eye on each other.
Know your surroundings at all times and don't go off alone or with strangers.
Always pour your own drink, or carefully watch someone pour it for you, to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.
Don't leave a drink unattended for any period of time -- if you put it down, toss it and go get a new one!
that's what i can come up with for now. Feel free to add your two cents. Please be safe and drink responsibly (which means no drinking at all if you are underage).

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 12 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yay Gummy!
see, im underage in Canada. But for me, its not even a problem. I just dont like the taste. If we are having mike's hard lemonade at a party, ill be drinking the plain lemonade cuz it TASTES better!!!!
And for those who say that you drink for the "mellowing effect", all i can say is....for me to start enjoying a party, it takes a pack of skittles. Thats it. No alcohol required
so yeah....when i get my lisence....im gonna be the designated driver...but my friends are pretty good about that. They wont get behind the wheel even if theyve had just ONE drink. And if they promise me a ride home, they wont drink. ah i love my friends

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful about spending time with people who pressure you to drink - or any other activity that you are uncomfortable with. Being offered a drink is one thing, being pressured into taking it is another. A simple "no" should be the last you hear of it.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see so many people, my older brother included who love to go out and get drunk, and i just can't understand it. First of all, i hate the taste of anything like that, and i'm never around people who do drink.

Anyways, stumbling around drunk is not my idea of a good time.

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm still underage for the next two years, I've already decided that I want to be completely tee-total. The times I have drunk (and it's been in private places which is completely legal from the age of five, would you believe it!), it's done bad, bad things to me, and I just decided thta since it doesn't make me feel any better, the best thing to do is just eliminate it altogether. I really do get high off life when I w3ant to, so why waste my money and ruin my liver?

My friends at senior school became heavy, heavy drinkers by the last few years, which was one of the main reasons of my growing apart from them. I didn't like to be with them when they were drinking or even talking about it, because they turned into completely different people. Nothing I could say would change their minds, not even when one of our friends (4'11" and drank a whole bottle of vodka-not a very intelligent move) collapsed on a night out. So, I realised there was no point me wasting my time and effort trying to convince them otherwise-it was just winding me up.

I refused to go out with them when they went out with getting drunk as the only objective. Yes, I do have practically no social life, but it's better than one that pulls you down and makes you mad. Obiviously, that may not be the solution for everyone, and that's why Gummy's advice is so important.

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness-My new, improved Blog.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Gummy, for an excellent post.

Me, I'm 23, and that means I can legally obtain alcohol if I want. And there's usually a bottle or two of wine sitting in my kitchen, because I'm a total snob when it comes to cooking and I refuse to use those nasty "cooking wines" in recipes that call for wine.

But quite frankly, I don't care for the effects of alcohol on my body. I'll have a glass of wine once in a very long while, if I know that I won't have to drive anywhere that day or otherwise function as a human being for a few hours. I like having a fully functional brain, and so drinking ain't my thing.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alcoholics run deep into my family, which is why my Dad doesn't drink, period. Never an alcoholic, he quit drinking completely 2 months ago. My Grandpa is a living alcoholic. My great grandpa was an alcoholic. My great-great grandfather was. And so on...

So, I'm like BJadeT. I guess if you want to drink, fine, but be responsible. Be considerate of other people before you take a sip. Make sure someone you know won't get drunk makes sure that you don't get under the wheel or whatever. I'm not saying I'm ok with drinking, but if you must, be mature about it.

------------------
be you, do what you do -garth brooks :)

happy holidays!!

Don't Mess with Texas

"Only in America, where we can dream as big as we want to."
-Brooks and Dunn

Life is not fair, a fair is a place you show cows

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Communist Revolution
Neophyte
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communist Revolution     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good way is to become spoiled on expensive alcohols. If a bottle of your favorite vodka is $50, then it's not likely you'll get drunk alot. Especially if you're a college student, who I hear are *very* poor.
Posts: 9 | From: Bay Point, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to disagree with Communist Revolution. I don't think there is ANY good way to get around becoming an alcoholic.

Just remember, when you're addicted, you'll do anything to get what you want. Even if it's that $50 bottle of vodka. It doesn't matter the price, as long as you get it.

And I think it's also a generalization to say that college students are poor. My cousins are in college, and they're not low on funds. Some college students may be, but not all.

I don't mean to be picking on you or anything, but I just don't agree with what you're saying. I'm giving my own opinion.

I do have to say that I will never drink more than just a sip. I don't care for alcohol at all. Alcholism runs in my family, and I don't want to become an alcoholic just like my father and grandfather.

And with alcoholism, comes hiding and playing games. For instance, my Dad hide alcohol in the garage and tried to hide it from my Mom. He would go out to the "store" to get some milk, but he would really stop by a friend's house to get some booze. All that lying is so unattractive.

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to say, i just came home from my friends house, a little new years get together, and no drinking was involved with any of us. However, we did laugh ourselves silly and run around a tree at midnight, and play silly games like duck duck goose, hot potato and various other classics.

It's hilarious to see a group of 16 year olds sitting around be kwazy like that. It was the best!
Who needs alcohol when you can have fun like that?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!:d

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll use this opportunity, I guess to sorta brag about where I'm coming from. A few months ago, I was at a party hosted by an American studying at a Montreal university. Some friends of hers had come up for the deal from the U.S. state of Maine. They were both quite surprised to find that drinking wasn't the thing to do, at a party in Quebec. That's not to say that university kids in Quebec don't drink, au contraire. The thing is, the attitudes are pretty different here. Even in my former home of Ontario, alcohol seemed to have a whole different aura - a negative one. People here just seem to regard alcohol as another part of life. Drinking to get drunk isn't as common here as it is in relatively-tight-wadded Ontario (and, I assume, the United States).

In a province where most kids -- that's to say, well under 18 -- are offered wine on special occasions (sometimes even more often than that) and where the drinking age is 18 (so people have already had drinking experience before they get to post-secondary schooling), drinking to get drunk isn't looked upon terribly kindly. Sure, binging still happens, but not as much as in other places where the message is simply that alcohol is bad. Hmmmm... alcohol is kinda like sex, in that way, ain't it?

------------------
My God can beat up your God.
-Weights and Measures

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 01-31-2002).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best suggestions I've heard: If you're at a party, alternate drinks with glasses of water. Not only is the water good for you and helps you to metabolize the alcohol and not become dehydrated, it also keeps a glass in your hand at all times - a good way to stop people from offering you drinks and to keep your hands and mouth busy.

As for Communist Revolution, I can almost agree; I've only ever really drunk alcohol with my parents (it's legal in most places even if you're underage, if your parents serve you), and they know good beer. So not only have I learned not to drink too much, but I like beer that's way too expensive and relatively difficult to find. Definitely squelches any unauthorized consumption!

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

this is what you get for liking it.
"The best-looking boys are taken, the best-looking girls are staying inside. So, Judy, where does that leave you, walking the streets from morning till night?" --Belle and Sebastian, "Judy and the Dream of Horses"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was younger and less confident than I am now, I used to deal with peer pressure for drinking this way: About halfway or less through my first cheap beer (ugh!), I'd head for the bathroom. Not wanting to leave my drink unattended, I'd take it with me...and I'd pour the beer down the sink and refill the can with water. Then I'd happily sip the same can all night, getting plenty of water and staying perfectly sober. Usually only my close friends were wise to what I was doing, and they didn't say a peep.

Now I'm not recommending this sort of deception, only saying that it worked well for me back then. Nowadays I party less, and I have the confidence to just say, "no thanks."

I appreciate good alcohol (and I'm well over legal age), but I have a low tolerance and one or two drinks will have me curled up into a nice nap in the corner of the room. Not much of a party animal! My parents modeled responsible drinking and I have no family history of alcoholism, so I'm very comfortable drinking moderately for enjoyment. I never saw the point of getting drunk, though.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My golden rule of drinking is not to drink alcohol unless I would be having fun anyway. If you try to use alcohol as a substitute for fun, it just won't work. It's even worse if you drink when you're miserable- in my experience, it just enhances the misery. I also don't drink unless I'm among friends.

When I was growing up, I didn't go to parties much, but I would occaisionally test my limits by grabbing a beer from the fridge and drinking it in front of my parents, or pouring myself a glass of wine with dinner. Their usual response was to ignore my little attempt to gain attention, or to roll their eyes and ask why I was doing that? I think this worked well with me, because as a result, I never wanted to drink as a way of rebellion. However, I do know that this doesn't work with all kids- they had to be a bit stricter with my younger sister, because she didn't take alcohol as well as I did, and because I know my limits better than she.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SF Chronicle reports that teen binge drinking is at epidemic levels in the US.

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 03-19-2002).]

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's graduation season, which is the perfect time to bring this up again. play it safe folks. if you're not legally allowed to drink, please don't do it!!! And if you are, know when to call it quits.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's really cool Blade that you don't drink, even though you sacraficed your social life for it.

I don't drink, either. I don't like the taste or the smell or anything. Very few of my friends drink, too. Like, every so often one of them will have some champagne or wine or something. Otherwise they don't smoke or drink or anything. Go friends!

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know that this topic os pretty old, but I brought it up again because Gummy posted it in another thread.

I drink, but Im not huge on drinking. I usually go to Canada and drink, since I live right by it and the legal age to drink by us is 19 (my parents know, and allow me to drink as long as I dont drink and drive).

We usually go to the clubs, and dance and drink. I drink a little bit, maybe to get myself buzzed. BUT....I dont do it that often, I am not a huge drinker, and I am very picky about what I drink. It sometimes can take me an hour to finish one drink.

Like my boyfriend will drink just to drink, and I am just the opposite. He hates how picky I am about it, but I just tell him "Hey would you eat S-H-I-T just to get full?" I dont think so!! HA...

I defenitly will be the DD (Designated Driver) anytime. If someone wants me to drive I will not drink a drop. On new years eve I was the DD. I didnt care, as long as everyone I loved was safe, I was happy with it.

When I drink I know my limits NOW. There have been times I have gotten drunk, but I was with ppl who I knew would take care of me, and stay with me.

To tell you the truth, its not worth getting drunk anyways. The hangovers in the morning and the never ending puking should be enough for you to know your limits or just dont drink at all!!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 02-19-2003).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love drunken Americans. Windsor's bars and strip clubs get the majority of their funding from people who normally reside down south.

Vomiting is a symptom of alcohol poisoning. Even though I know a lot of people who are well over the legal drinking age and spend half their partying time leaning over the toilet, I've got to say that getting that drunk isn't respecting your body, or knowing your limit.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:

How to stay safe at parties:
If you are drinking, know your limits. It's cliche, but true!!!

i'm going to elaborate on this idea. Knowing your limits is not "I can drink a whole 6-pack of beer before i feel drunk, so that must mean a 6-pack is my limit." Your body isn't always consistant with the way it handles things, especially poisons (yes, ethyl alcohol is poisonous to our bodies, but we drink it anyway). Knowing your limit is knowing how you are feeling and knowing how your body is responding to the alcohol in your system at that very moment. For example, "My eyesight is starting to slow down, so I better stop drinking booze now."

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

rottenpeach
Neophyte
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rottenpeach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was already an alcoholic at the age of 14,i couldnt go out on the weekends unless i was drunk and thats all i ever did,but then i realized i needed to stop drinking,So i quite for a year but here i am again at the age of 16 and i'm worse than ever,but my boyfriend told me that he dosnt want to see me go down that road and become an alcoholic or die of alchol poisoning,and i hear it from a lot of people,so i decided to stop drinking(or stop drinking as much),but under age drinking really has become a huge problem
Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rottenpeach, I'd advise you to seek help immediately (you can look up Al-Anon and similar organisations in the phone book) before you destroy your liver or get busted for underage drinking.

And please in future, abide by the Guidelines and refrain from posting about illegal activities.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TokEY
Neophyte
Member # 12226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TokEY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By me we all keep each other in check when dirnking, i used to not care n we would have kegs but it usually got to out of control now we but what we will drink before we drink n thats it
Posts: 2 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pisces
Activist
Member # 11886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
In a province where most kids -- that's to say, well under 18 -- are offered wine on special occasions (sometimes even more often than that) and where the drinking age is 18 (so people have already had drinking experience before they get to post-secondary schooling), drinking to get drunk isn't looked upon terribly kindly. Sure, binging still happens, but not as much as in other places where the message is simply that alcohol is bad. Hmmmm... alcohol is kinda like sex, in that way, ain't it?

I think you have an excellent point there. I've talked about this with people as well, and we think that because America tells young people that it is horrible to drink and they must stay away from it, they create a bigger incentive for the kids to go crazy with it. People who come from families where it isn't a big deal to have a glass of wine with dinner know how to handle being in a situation at a party. They are more likely to have a drink or two and stop, their intention not being to become horribly drunk and throwing up all over the place. Which I've never understood the attraction of...

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sorrow of wind bird sky
Neophyte
Member # 12191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sorrow of wind bird sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wonder who hosts a binge drinking party, and why... Anyway, alcohol is kind like cigarettes and drugs that can make people addicted to it...
Especially at the age when teens are growing into adults, many young people refuse to take too much responsbility of their furtures and want to "drink it off" When he/she is drunk, the person forgets everything and can be acting like fools and morons. (I don't mean myself here)
Last time, about 1~2 month ago, someone had a speech at my school and talked about some drunk teens went to the high way... There was one boy, who saw some movie that I don't know of, imitated that he is as tough as that person in the movie... So he lay down on the highway and had been trampled by a car... His body was mutilated by the car... He died immediately while his friends were still laughing. They thought him was still alive...
I think this is crazy! Binge drinking would not do you any good at all! And car accidents can happen when the "drunk guys" insist that they are conscious and want to drive girls home... (I never heard anything about a drunk girl wants to drive guys home :P)
Sometimes when I get really depressed, and if a 355 ml beer can is handy, I might drink one can... Yes, just one. Drinking too much would make you forget the taste of it (at least I assume it this way), so I always have control of drinking... (and I always drink on Valentine's Day :P)
Drinking too much is something that people better not try... It endangers others' lives as well as your lives...

------------------
Dreams of humans...
Will never Surcease!!!
(from Black Beard in One Piece :P )

Posts: 35 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from a college town. ISU is raked in the top 20 party schools by playboy. Now, I'm not saying all college students here binge drink, but it's more common than I would like.

The city council is considering a ban on liquor buffets. That means no all you can drink for X dollars or ladies drink free or anything of that sort. It's just disguting the uproar against it. Pardon my sarcasm, but oh no, you'll have to pay for your booze. The world is coming to an end. On puhleeze.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leafy
Neophyte
Member # 8345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leafy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am above the legal drinking age in my area, and yes I have had experience with alcohol for maybe three or four years before I turned 18. I find the taste enjoyable and recreationaly I find it a relaxing and sociable thing to do. I can also enjoy myself immensely without alcohol.

I'm not trying to advocate underage drinking or binge drinking but I don't find it to be a particularly shocking concept; perhaps that's just my situated culture. Personally I've found that my experiences with binge drinking mean that I now know my limits with alcohol. (as inevitably you need to do with anything.) For me the stigma and element of forbidden with alcohol is not really an issue and I can also appreciate alcohol more for other reasons.

This is merely my personal response to the thread, I appear to be in a minority

Posts: 34 | From: England | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm tempted to agree with leafy. i think that if society made an effort to teach realities about alcohol, instead of demonizing it and sticking it in the same category as cocaine in drug and alcohol education programs, there would be less of a problem because the novelty wouldn't be there. alcohol is legal, so shouldn't we treat it as such?

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, it's worth considering that alcohol is actually more dangerous - even just in terms of its very close association with violence, say, or the effects of drunk-driving - than some illegal drugs are.

Legal doesn't necessarily mean harmless, after all. Cigarettes are legal too.

I agree that demonizing alcohol as Eeeeeviillll isn't the best way of educating people about it .

But I'm also uncomfortable if people present binge-drinking as a normal and harmless (or even necessary) way of getting to "know your limits".

Isn't that a bit like saying you can only learn to cross roads safely by getting run over by cars a few times?

Sure, if someone's lucky, they might binge-drink and be left with nothing worse than a hangover and a resolution never to do that again. But not everyone's lucky.

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 06-09-2003).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frozendreams
Activist
Member # 7638

Icon 4 posted      Profile for frozendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i find drinking ok as long as you dont over do it. i have over done it way too many times and now i drink in moderation. there are people who always drink too much and try to start fights with anyone around them. i have experienced this quite a bit and that is why i limit myself. if i binge drink and am with other people that are that makes me no better than they are and if i fight with the people that want to cause problems i become one of the problems and i dont like that. there is never going to be a time where people dont drink too much it is just one of those problems that will always be there. but the more people that control themselves the better off everyone will be.

i am big on designated drivers though, i never let anyone leave anywhere that has been drinking. i dont care if they are walking. if someone gets mad at me for not letting them leave, so be it. at least i wont be feeling bad later when they are at home safe and sound instead of in the morgue.

also i wanted to add that along with the fighting and driving alcohol does impair judgement, and in the wrong situation, you might find yourself doing something you really regret, something that you wouldnt normally do if you was not under the influence.

been there too that is why it is important to watch how much you drink. everyone knows their limits (before they pass them). they shouldnt find out the hard way, by not listening to their bodies.

be smart people!!!
------------------
formerly unhappykoger

[This message has been edited by frozendreams (edited 06-09-2003).]

Posts: 118 | From: dayton ohio usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by logic_grrl:
On the other hand, it's worth considering that alcohol is actually more dangerous - even just in terms of its very close association with violence, say, or the effects of drunk-driving - than some illegal drugs are.

Legal doesn't necessarily mean harmless, after all. Cigarettes are legal too.

I'm going to have disagree here, sort of. Alcohol doesn't have to have anything to do with violence or dangerous driving. This is why there are severe penalties for many different forms of violence and for drunk driving - but drinking is legal (with some restrictions).

quote:
But I'm also uncomfortable if people present binge-drinking as a normal and harmless (or even necessary) way of getting to "know your limits".

Isn't that a bit like saying you can only learn to cross roads safely by getting run over by cars a few times?

You could look at it that way, or you could look at it in the context of how many other life lessons are learned. How many of us did stupid stuff as young kids because we didn't realize that it would hurt? How many of us kept doing those stupid things repeatedly?

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alcohol doesn't have to have anything to do with violence or dangerous driving.

It certainly doesn't have to. But alcohol is involved in a very, very large proportion of cases of violence and dangerous driving.

I don't think there's anything wrong at all with drinking alcohol per se, but I'm uncomfortable with treating something as if it were completely harmless just because it's legal. Surely part of drinking responsibly is being aware of the risks?

quote:
How many of us did stupid stuff as young kids because we didn't realize that it would hurt?

Hey, everyone makes mistakes and does stupid things of one sort or another .

But I think there's a difference between accepting that fact, and pretending that something we know is risky - like binge-drinking, or cigarette-smoking, or unsafe sex - is harmless and risk-free.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
We are starting to see a number of posts lately along the theme of "I was so drunk last night that......." I think this would be a good time to revive this thread and discuss. Do you drink alcohol just to get wasted? Why? Are you prepared to live with the consequences of doing so?

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygirl182
Activist
Member # 2273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillygirl182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an interesting topic!

I'm from Ontario, always have been, and the 'drinking culture' (if I can call it that) here seems to be alot different than alot of the posts I've read in here (expecially the ones from the US)

Drinking was never 'taboo' to me. It was something that was done at social events. Since about the age of 12 I've been allowed to have the occasionaly SPECIAL OCCASION glass of wine, champagne, or taste mom or dads drinks.

When I got to the partying age my parents never bought me alcohol (though alot of my friends parent's did) but always always always made it very clear that if I were drunk, or was in danger I coule ALWAYS call and would not get in trouble for my actions. They knew alcohol was there, they just expected me to be responsible.

I think because of this, I never did binge drink. I'd have a cooler or two, start to feel it and put it down. I just didn't want to disrespect my parent's trust by comming home in a mangled form. They knew I drank, and I think they were proud because I did it responsibly.

Now that I am of age, if me and my friends are going out to the bars, we'll drink before, basically cause we are too cheap to buy drinks at the bar for outrageous prices. Yes I am underage in ontario, and we travel right across the border from Ottawa U over to Hull in Quebec where the age is 18 and we are all legal. Also, because we live in a 'dry-residence' we usually just drink in hull at a friend's house to save all the legality problems. One thing has to be stated though..
- we always go in a large group
- we always cab it
- we only go out for a reason (birthday, done exams, etc.), not just to 'get drunk'
- we usually all get a 'buzz', with the occasional 'binger' but usually not. (never me)
- we NEVER leave anyone behind. If we go in a group of 8, we come back with the same 8. ALWAYS, doesn't matter how hot the guy at the bar is.
- We all have a contest to see who can drink the most water before falling asleep when we get home (silly girl tradition )

And ya know what, I wouldn't drink unless it was this type of situation.

Example: Prom.
I knew my friends were going to get stupidly drunk, so first thing first I offered to DD, bascially just cause I love them all, and I really wanted to remember prom as a fun SOBER night, because alcohol is not a nessecity.

So here's my two cents (after a rant that i never intended )

Drinking is cool, as long as its done responsibly. And if you don't wanna drink, that's really cool too!

Alcohol is a drug, it's just a legal one. And drinkers have to realize that.

Silly Girl

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.