Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Weird skin problems...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird skin problems...
ViceFangirl
Neophyte
Member # 12531

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ViceFangirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right...

A while back, I had a big red itchy circle on my right arm. I suspected it was ringworm and after at least 4 weeks, it went away.

Now it has resurfaced last week and is spearding to my upper arm.

On top of that, my face is overcome with hideous dryness and I when I pick at it (bad idea, I know), it starts to ooze or flake terribly.

Aside from getting more water in my daily habits, what should I do other than get in touch with a dermatologist?

------------------
---
"Go go, Gadget Sword!"-Kung Faux, the Pimpstick episode

Posts: 8 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the same thing I have, psoriasis. I'd say go to your doctor, or a dermatologist. They'll most likely (if you do have psoriasis) give you a liquid solution called "Elecon" it comes in a bunch of different forms. There are some other things out there too they might tell you to use. Good luck, and don't worry too much about it. Just use a REALLY good moisturizer right after you get out of the shower/bath, and it won't flake as bad, and don't pick at it!

------------------
.n.i.n.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PsychoGirl
Activist
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ViceFangirl:

Aside from getting more water in my daily habits, what should I do other than get in touch with a dermatologist?

Yeah, you really need to go to a doctor. (Its not normal for your skin to ooze, and stop picking at it!!) Scarleteen isn't certified to perscribe you anything, so your best bet would be to go to a professional--A doctor/dermatologist.

[This message has been edited by PsychoGirl (edited 05-25-2003).]

Posts: 85 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Circular rashes can also be a sign of a fungal infection of the skin, or of borreliosis or similar infection.

Really, hon, all our guessing is just that: well meant guessing. So get yourself to a health care professional, and think about home remedies and other skin care tips, once you've had a pro look at this.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elocon is great for psoriasis. It belongs to a class of drugs called cortisones. A new prescription drug was released earlier this year called Elidel. It is non-corticoid, so it lacks cortisone's side effect of thinning the skin, so you can use Elidel whenever. I've been using elidel for my spots of dermatitis and it's great.

But yes, it could be a fungal infection (ringworm is a fungus), and you are going to need a proper diagnosis so you can get the right remedy. For ringworm and the like, you will be given a topic anti-fungal treatment (probably a cream or oitment) like Lotrimin.

Elidel and Elocon cannot be used for fungal infection, and Lotrimin can't be used for dermatitis, psoriasis or eczema.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViceFangirl
Neophyte
Member # 12531

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ViceFangirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update...

Now when I wash my face (it contains triclosan), when it dries before I put any moisturizer on, the top half tightens, and my left cheek feels like it's weeping and I found a round scab in the middle of my forehead. Now it's on a small part on the left side of my nose. When I put moisturizer on, my face burns.

As for my arm, it's just bumpy, the bumps are small and raised, and it's now on my left arm and left side of my neck. I got an appointment on the 2nd of June for a dermo. Should I wait it out or go to urgent care?

------------------
---
"Go go, Gadget Sword!"-Kung Faux, the Pimpstick episode

[This message has been edited by ViceFangirl (edited 05-28-2003).]

Posts: 8 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ViceFan, your skin sounds dry, which is why it's tightening up before oyur moisturize. What moisturizer are you using? I might be too harsh for your sensitive skin right now.

If any of the odd patches appear to be spreading, you might want a regular doctor to check them asap, otherwise, you can wait till you see your dermatolgist.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.