Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question...
CrazyLove22
Activist
Member # 11581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyLove22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

When I shower, I scrub everywhere but no matter how often I shower or how hard I scrub, my neck still looks dirty. What can I try to get it to go away?
Also, I wear sandals a lot and my feet are really dry and rough...how can I smooth them out and make them soft again?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posts: 51 | From: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any dirt on your towel? If so, then you're not scrubbing enough. If there isn't, you can exfoliate your skin. that removes the dead stuff which can look dirty, and makes your skin look fresher. Drug stores and bath shops sell lots of different exfoliating supplies like loofas, or scrubby soap (I use Bath and Body Works exfoliating body wash, it's quite nice).

Are you obese? That might sound like an odd thing to ask, but bear with me. Many obese people (and some simply overweight ones) have slightly darkened patches of skin that feel a little dry, velvety and no matter that they do, the skin looks dirty. The patches usually occur in the armpits, on the creases between the groin and thigh, or on necks. The patches are a condition known as acanthosis nigricans. You can't scrub these patches off, but they're harmless by themselves and can be diagnosed by a doctor.

Me, I strongly suspect I have acanthosis nigricans and I am currenty waiting to get the patches inspected by a dermatologist. What I'll do after that, I don't know. It's not a big deal and I doubt anyone notices them anyway.

------------------
Summertime, and the living's easy...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as for dry feet, moisturize with a heavy duty lotion. moisturize frequently. vaseline is good when lotions have failed, but i've had good luck with Bath and Body Works lotion (it's extra greasy) and Baby Magic baby lotion (it's not greasy, and it's good for sensitive skin)

------------------
Summertime, and the living's easy...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When dealing with rough,dry feet a really good cure is to cover and coat them with thick lotion or vaseline and then put on a pair of cotton socks and either kick back for a couple of hours or do it before bed and just fall asleep. Its kind of tricky to get the socks on over the lotion/vaseline but its worth it. The next morning your feel will be soft and smooth.

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the patches I don't know what to tell you. But for the feet thing...I LIVE in my sandels and always have dry, cracked, calloused, blah blah blah feet. I can't seem to make them entiraly smooth, as the back heel is alway rough, no matter what. But I exfoliate them with that stone thing (can't think of the name...Pumis?) and then coat my feet in lotion, wrap them loosely in saran wrap and put slippers on. Walk around for a couple hours and take of the saran wrap and my feet are nice and soft.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyLove22
Activist
Member # 11581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyLove22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thanks everyone!
Posts: 51 | From: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.