Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » deoderant brands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: deoderant brands
smily1
Neophyte
Member # 8136

Icon 5 posted      Profile for smily1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi i was wondering what brand of deoderant u ppl. use. i have no idea what brand to get. i am using dove sensitive skin now. i don't have sensitive skin its just that it was on sale. i am tired of getting deoderants thhat don't work. my problem is that i won't smell bad but it won't help keep me dry and i will gwt wet marks on my underarms. thanx in advance 4 your input!!

------------------
:D~Smile Its In Style~:D

Posts: 30 | From: chicago,IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a word: antiperspirants (those which "keep you dry") work by essentially blocking your sweat glands and pores. Which health-wise is a bad idea since we sweat for a reason.

Talk to someone someday who had to have surgery due to over-blockage. It's pretty yucky to have armmpits clogged up with aluminum deposits.

Really, people sweat. We do because we need to to stay healthy and regulate our body temperatures. It's normal.

If scent bothers you, I'd highly suggest happy natural brands without the yucky bits like Tom's of Maine, Burt's Bees, or baking soda or crystal based depderants. Lush cosmetics -- http://www.lushcanada.com -- makes some really lovely ones.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Talk to someone someday who had to have surgery due to over-blockage. It's pretty yucky to have armmpits clogged up with aluminum deposits.

*cringe* That wasn't you, was it Miz S?

------------------
God Bless Texas

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you."
--Winnie The Pooh

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not I (said the sheep, with the curly, curly horn).

I've had my share of surgeries, but not that one, and I tend to be very wary and cautious when it comes to mainstream products that are pushed unto people in such a way to make them believe that everyone simply MUST use them (deoderants, douches, sugar-replacers, fat-replacers, bleaches, etc. -- there's so many things out there which have successfully managed via savvy marketing to fool most people in the world into thinking those things are essential). I think it has to do with growing up listening to "Free to Be You and Me" and that ilk on a daily basis.

But I had a very close firend years back in Chicago have the surgery. Honestly, the whole idea of it was pretty darn yucky and it wasn't a fun surgery for her. And all because of wanting to avoid a little sweat now and then. Bleh.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know i've said this before, but unless you have the sweating problem you don't really know how uncomfortable it is. I can't stand that wet feeling, and sometimes my arms will be up for some reason and then it's a wet and cold feeling. I get a rash from wearing a shirt that i've been sweating in, i think because of the friction of the cloth against my skin.

There are a lot of topics on sweating however, and if you do a search, you'll find some good advice.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'm not sure what you mean by "the sweating problem," Erin.

But what I do know is that very excessive sweating and/or reactions to one's own sweat can be symptoms of something else, like diabetes, for instance. If that's the case, always ask your doc.

For most folks, however (which is who my comments were directed to), sweat occurs at normal levels and doesn't cause reactions, and can be handled safely via showering or just a quick pit-wash in a sink during the day, or by wearing clothing that allows for circulation and absorption with natural fibers.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.