Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » How do I get rid of these Ingrown hairs?! Please help me!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I get rid of these Ingrown hairs?! Please help me!!!
emms
Neophyte
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emms     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm desperate!
I had a bikini wax for the first time and even though I followed all the instructions for prevention, I have discovered 2 ingrown hairs.
These are not just any ingrowns, they are actually normally growing hairs under my skin. They are STRAIGHT and PARALLEL to the surface of my skin.
I think they didnt form the usual curl and bump under my skin is b/c my hair is quite thick (as pubic hairs go ).
How in the world am I supposed to get rid of these? They are completely underneath my skin, there is no root or tip or anything sticking out. It looks like a line!!
Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
those are your actual hair follicles. your hairs are still developing underneath the skin.

when you wax, you get the hairs that are sprouting, but not all your hairs are on the same growth schedule. you can't remove the ones that haven't emerged yet.

the only way to get rid of the follicles completely is electrolysis, which is a long, painful and expensive procedure that may require many months worth of treatments. electrolysis is permanent.

so dare i say, don't sweat it. follicles happen to everybody and most likely, no one is going to notice but you.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emms
Neophyte
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emms     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that was REALLY quick!!! lol you're awesome!
The thing with these two hairs is that, they are pretty long and thick. They look like the rest of my hair thats already growing out, just that they are under the skin. it's so weird. they are a bit longer than 1/2 a centimetre or 1/4 inch already.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, then that may be different.

do you exfoliate? it's always good to use an exfoliant (a scrubby type of soap, loofa or something) to take off the dead layers of skin and free up any hairs underneath. is the ingrown hair inflamed (swollen, red, filled with fluid or pus)? if so, you might want your doctor to lance it for you. that means, he/she will use a needle to reach under the ahir, pull it up and tweeze it out. Do not try this at home because your equipment is probably not sterile and may result in the inflammation worsening.

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emms
Neophyte
Member # 9279

no, there's no redness or itchiness or infection or anything. it's really odd. I did exfoliate right after I had my wax done but Im assuming I stopped too early and there were those two hairs that got trapped.
Basically, my skin looks just fine. it's just that when i was 'inspecting' today. I noticed a dark line underneath my skin. it's parallel to my hair growth as well. If I pull my skin more taut, I can clearly see the outline of the hair just growing underneath there. If i hadn't been looking for it, i would have missed it because there is no bump or anything!
lol i wish i could post a picture because i've never seen anything like it.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

well, it happens to the best of us.

exfoliation is not a one-time thing, it's something you should do on a regular basis (a couple of times a week).

keep working at it, and it'll surface eventually.

------------------

emms
Neophyte
Member # 9279

So they WILL come up eventually?? I guess it's just goign to take awhile. they are really deep
But hey, you've given me hope lol
Thanks so much!

Jynxeh
Neophyte
Member # 9284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jynxeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get those on my legs- I have unusually thick hair on the lower part of my legs, it's a bit odd, my mother's actually thinking I should ask the doctor about it, because it's NOT like normal hair. The same thing happens every time I shave my legs. Hairs growing right under my skin, no pain, no redness, nothing. Sometimes I can just about pull them out, by getting a pin under the root, and pulling back, but that DOES hurt.

The common thing here seems to be having thicker hair than usual- I'd love to know if this is the case with anyone else...

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same thing happens to me too. Only if i wax though. i have shaved during like, a month, (i stopped because i had to shave all the time and i hated that) but since then it seems a lot worse. i think i was just not paying attention before.

what i do is i use the tweezer for those who aren't too deep. when they're deeper i sometimes use a needle (like a sewing needle, not good)(i don't sew with the one i use for my legs), but usually i just work a little longer with the tweezer (a few minutes or seconds for a few days).

It happens regularly that i make myself bleed. i am getting scars all over my legs, and i have to wait longer before waxing them again because if i don't i'll open wounds.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emms
Neophyte
Member # 9279

so maybe I should try digging these things up then??? But the problem with that is that they're on my punani!! lol
But I dont know how long I want to wait and see if they surface by themselves b/c it's gross! It's long already and my hair is black and thick so it's just NARSTY :P
I don't know.. lol I'll probably try that though

melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, since you have 2 (i think this is what i read) maybe you can try and dig one, and wait to see what the other will do.

sincerely, i have no idea how long it can take because i never tried waiting more than 2 days. one thing i can tell you is that it hurts on that place.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier, I said **NOT** to lance the hair yourself. That means, though Jynxeh means well, that's not the best course of action.

why? because if you aren't careful enough about sterility, you can infect the follicle. Using a pin breaks your skin, letting in germs if you're not careful. The result? A swollen, inflamed red bump, bigger and nastier than the original ingrown.

So if it's really driving you that nutty, have a doc take care of it for you. Otherwise, exfoliate and wait for it to come up on its own.

------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.