Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » scoliosis and back pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scoliosis and back pain
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For several years now I've had pretty persistent back pains- from about the middle of my back to my tail bone. Lately, it's been pretty bad, and it's really hard for me to get comfortable and stay asleep at night. When I went to see my doctor about it last week she said that my spine was mildly curved in one area toward the middle of my back (only a few millimeters- she referred to it as mild scoliosis). Apparently, the slight curviture is causing my back to be mis-aligned and the muscles to be sore. She also said that there isn't much we can do about it, aside from taking pain relievers and doing lower back exercises. My question is, does anyone else here have back problems and if so, do you have any tips for easing the pain, or any helpful exercises? Thanks, all.

------------------
~*Scarleteen Advocate

"I hate broccoli. And yet, in a certain sense- I AM broccoli." --The Tick

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey

i don't have back problems, but i do have TMJ, which is a disorder in which the muscles in my jaw are all messed up. this causes neck, upper back, and jaw pain, not to mention numerous headaches. this also has no "cure", so we're in a similar situation.

my advice is to do two things: first, do the exercises that your doctor gives to you. second, you can use a series of hot/cold exposure to ease your muscles. example: laying an ice pack on your back muscles for a while, then a hot towel. this will help stretch and relax your muscles, relieving some of the pain.

hope this helps! good luck!
(p.s. i love your quote. "Naughty spawn, you face the Tick!!!")

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lucky,

I have a friend who also suffered a mild case of scoliosis, and her suggestions are similar to the ones in the last post:

Most importantly, do the exercises the doctor gives you. Even simple stretching (do you know that cat stretch, where you pretend you're a cat arching your back and then in again) can help.

And when you sleep, try not to curl either way into a fetal position too much, but rather lie flat and straight, with your shoulders properly aligned. When you sleep, your body actually relaxes and stretches out by up to a half-inch, so if you are crooked up in a strange position, it is actually aggravating the problem. It won't make it heaps better, but it is probably better not to make it worse.

And one final thing, is a link to http://www.spineuniverse.com

They have heaps of links on scoliosis, back pain, treatments etc and they have support groups. Perhaps if you asked this same question there you would also get some really helpful responses.

Good luck!
Roseanne

[Edited to fix link]

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 07-22-2002).]

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I've never been told out right that I have scoliosis, but my back is so out of alignment that my hips are different sizes, my spin literally does this spiral thing, and my neck curves the wrong way. I'd say it's not fun.

My muscles get really sore, and I have found that warm/hot baths really soothe the muscles, and massages. If you can't afford a professional, find a really good friend or an Ashmead student who needs to do their homework.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caramel Apple Pop
Activist
Member # 8475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caramel Apple Pop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get an x-ray of your back? Sometimes curves appear small, but really aren't. I have scoliosis and one of my curves was in my lower back...you couldn't even tell just by looking, but on the x-ray it was 26 degrees (which is still mild, but significant scoliosis). Also try strengthening your abdomenal muscels, it will help with the lower back pain.

------------------
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all ok... And not to worry because worry is wasteful
and useless in times like these... I will not be made useless I won't be idled with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
for light does the darkness most fear

ø¤º¤ø Beth ø¤º¤ø

Posts: 98 | From: A world of wonder, where war never disturbes peace, and the sun never gets consumed by the shadows... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smily1
Neophyte
Member # 8136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smily1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! i have scoliosis. i have a 44 degree main curve in the middle of my spine, plus two cumpulsory curves, 1 above and one below the main curve. i was in a back brace untill about 3 months ago. i wore the brace for 3 yrs. now what i have it moderate to severe scoliosis. but if u don't do the excersises the doc gave u the scoliosis will most likely get worse. now that i am done growing(i.e. it has been two yrs since i started my period.)i am out of the brace. the good news is the brace kept the curve from getting worse but now i have done all that is possible and if it starts to worsen then i will need back surgery. i don't want to scare u but if u don't listen to what your doc says then u might need surgery eventually so do yourself a favor and do the excersises. hope this helped and i'm sorry if ii was long-winded
smily1

Posts: 30 | From: chicago,IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister was diagnosed with Scoliosis in 6th grade and had to have surgery in Nov. '98 and had 2 medal rods places beside her spine. Her rods then broke so they had to go back in and do the surgery again and then she got Staph infection and they had to go back in again.

So if it is really bad, have the surgery. I think my sister was in a lot of pain, also.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mermaidlung
Neophyte
Member # 9137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mermaidlung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've known about my scoliosis for about 6 years now. i found out when i was a freshman in high school.

i have idiopathic scoliosis. i have a 50-60 curve. so on the right side of my back i have a fairly large hump and my neck is off center with the rest of my body and well, basically the spine throws everything off.

i also have trouble sleeping and finding positions that are comfortable. i usually try and stretch every morning when i wake up. and it helps me to sleep on my back. if i sleep on my stomach it causes more pain.

but i never wore a brace, was offered surgery but was a bit scared of that (see above post) so i do exercises and see a massage therapist every week. which helps a bit, but my back hurts pretty much constantly, sometimes the pain is more severe than other times. i guess it depends.

this site is kinda neat www.spine-health.com

Posts: 6 | From: ca | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caramel Apple Pop
Activist
Member # 8475

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Caramel Apple Pop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To all of you girls that have scoliosis (or think you have it) and aren't seeing a doctor for treatment.....*sigh*. PLEASE go see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in scoliosis. Scoliosis is not just something that you can ignore. Once you have a 50 degree curve it is going to keep on getting worse, even if you are done growing. Eventually scoliosis rotates your ribcage so badly that it can cause your lung to collapse and stress your heart. You could end up being in a wheelchair.

I had a 50 degree curve that was corrected with scoliosis surgery. My surgery went wonderful and my back doesn't hurt at all now. Things like infections and rods breaking can happen...but it's rare. Here is my webpage about my surgery: www.expage.com/myscoliosis

And here is some great information sites on scoliosis: www.iscoliosis.com www.scoliosis-world.com

Sorry. I just had to let everyone know that scoliosis can be harmless...but it also can be very dangerous.

------------------
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all ok... And not to worry because worry is wasteful
and useless in times like these... I will not be made useless I won't be idled with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
for light does the darkness most fear

ø¤º¤ø Beth ø¤º¤ø

Posts: 98 | From: A world of wonder, where war never disturbes peace, and the sun never gets consumed by the shadows... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.