Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Depictions of Drug Use in Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depictions of Drug Use in Movies
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated 'R' for Smoking

In the United States, movies thatexplicitly portray drug use -- including smoking -- are given more restrictive ratings than movies not depicting these things.

The article above is an editorial at Reason.com (one of my new favorite reads) in whih the writer feels that too much is being made of Bond smoking a cigar in 'Die Another Day' (which I have not yet seen; is it good?).

What do you think? Of sex, violence and drugs in movies -- especially drug use, how do you feel about the messages they convey to young people? Do you think 007 smoking a cigar really is a strong message to youth in favor of tobacco? Do you think people will dismiss it? Is an 'R' (Restricted, under 17 need parental guidance) rating warranted for scenes involving substance use? Where are the gray areas?

Given the number of backfired stunts inspired by the 'Jackass' movie (3 so far, if I am not mistaken?), I'm inclined to think people are collectively much more impressionable and far less smart than I wish they were. If a stupid movie can convince someone to douse themselves with alcohol and light their shirts ablaze, I find it reasonable to think that the right actor or actress smoking, drinking, or popping whatever pills can inspire some kid out there to try those things as well. How many of them are there? i don't know. But i do hope there is still a vast majority of folks who are able to separate reality from a movie.

More links:
Bond Starts Smoking Again - Reuters
Critics Fuming of Bond Smoking - e!Online

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some cases are tenuous at best, but the Bond one is obvious to me: Bond is supposed to be the coolest, the suavest, the baddest, and he's smoking a cigar - that must have something to do with his cool-suave-bad-ness, right? Seems pretty explicit to me.

And the lame excuse is, "Well, a lot of the action takes place in Cuba, so he's got to smoke a cigar." And I'm sure that if he were in a country that has legalized gay marriage he'd have to get married to a guy, too. Uh huh.'Cause every man, woman, and child in Cuba's got a big ol' cigar hanging out of their mouth.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'm sure that if he were in a country that has legalized gay marriage he'd have to get married to a guy, too.

See, I'd go and see a Bond movie then ...

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time, not so long ago, that protests were raised that TV and film actors never buckled up their car seat belts. Seat belts were not supposed to be "cool". Now you almost always see an actor buckle a seat belt when entering a car. I think it's a worthwhile almost subliminal reinforcement.

I'll be impressed again during the almost obligatory film sex scene when a condom is shown being used.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 12-10-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bobolink:
I'll be impressed again during the almost obligatory film sex scene when a condom is shown being used.

haha Yeah, but if they show that, they'll end up having to rate the darned thing NC-17, and most of us won't be able to see the flick anyway!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there are quite a few people in this world who are way to impressionable. But, at the same time, I also like the idea of free will. For the most part, we're able to take in information, process it, and then make conclusions based on our own ideas, ethics, morals, etc. Even though it's determined cool by a movie, or a tv show, whathave you -- there still is a thought process.

The ratings system in and of itself is flawed -- just because you're 17 and able to get into a Rated R movie, doesn't necessarily mean that you have the mental capacity or maturity to make the determination that what you're seeing done isn't a good idea to try yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a problem with people telling me that I'm not able to come up with the right conclusion and therefore, I can't watch that movie because I'm not of the correct age.

(And just as a side note, there are actually a few movies involving drug use -- Requiem for a Dream comes to mind -- that actually show the ill effects of participating in this type of bahavior. Unfortnatully, because it contained explicit drug use -- as well as a few brief scenes of nudity and sexual content -- it was given an R rating. I personally think that the movie could be used as a teaching tool because of it's realistic (and, yes, bleak) portral of drug use).

------------------
Tim
Scarleteen Advocate

I am not Dr. Freud, nor is he on staff. The talking cure this ain't.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They wouldn't actually have to show anyone having sex, but just having condoms around during makeout scenes would get the message across pretty well. The Rocky Horror Show's been updated to include them (there's a sound clip that manages to get this across really well, but I can't find it at the moment), so why not more movies? Condom use and lung cancer are facts of life now, so if movies feature sex and smoking, they might as well include them too.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm. there wasn't much way for 'Requiem' to get anything less than an R rating. i saw it in the theater, and wow. it was potent and definitely not for the squeamish. my friend says it "hurt [her] soul." good movie, definitely. and yes, the message it conveys is a heavy one. But it's lucky it didn't get an NC-17 rating. 'Kids' is in a similar vein -- graphically depicts sex, drugs, and violence. Teaches a potent lesson, but rightly deserves the rating it got.

The Reason.com essay (for anyone who opted not to read it) also touches on the idea that as long as consequences of harmful actions (smoker gets cancer, drug user winds up in hospital, etc.) are portrayed, the MPAA may be lenient when rating the film.

As for condom use in movies, I'll cite the scene in 'Pretty Woman' where she insists on using rubbers.

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note on the Safer Sex thing, if in the TV context:

Just last night, I watched Sex and the City (season 3 episode 11 , "Running with Scissors" - yes, we are far behind in Europe), and could not help but be enraged.

Part of the storyline was the fact that Samantha -the one with most partners on the team- had never had an HIV test before, which her "male equivalent" (a chap with many partners, too) requires before he is willing to have sex with her.
Sure, there has always been plenty of condom use on the entire show (and lots of diaphragm talk, too) and it's always displayed and understood that condoms are a must -at least for "intercourse" (a few episodes previous, there had been a storyline about Samantha disliking the taste of one of her random hook-ups ejaculate. Nice. STD risks galore, me thinks.)

In any way, on yesterday's episode, Samantha goes and has the HIV test and once it comes back clean, she goes and has -apparently unprotected -for there is no more condom talk- sex with the chap, who had happily proclaimed that he had gotten a "clear one" three weeks previous and was hence fine.

Can someone please help me hold up the giant "MISINFORMATION" sign in front of the telly, please?

Not only did they mention -in the scene at the testing place- samantha using lambskin condoms - which do not protect from STDs, after all, but what complete and utter crap to claim on a tv show that ONE HIV test is "proof" that there is no risk and hence a free visa to the land of latex free sex?

Furthermore: What about the incubation period of HIV which can be several months? What about OTHER STDs?

How ridiculous that the one woman on the show with the most partners (and in many ways the most adventurous of the four) would not KNOW about the risks and have done a test before?

ACK. ACK. ACK.

I got quite angry last night, even though, of course, I am well aware this is supposed to be a comedy show, not an educational program.

However, I thought that a show that does show female sexuality as something that women decide for themselves and live as they deem fit, should show women being conscious about the risks, too, and taking all necessary means to protect themselves. Instead, yesterdays episode showed the most "sexually adventurous one" being the most stupid in regards to safety. Rather silly, me thinks.

To sum up: I'm a great fan of safe & sane behavior in all media, at all times.

tsk.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear Caro, I know how you feel. Sex and the City is, honestly (and I hate to admit this) one of my favorite shows (and yes, I'm on my way to help hold up the big sigh... perhaps Billboard space is in order as well?). I just wish that the producers of that show would make them a touch more concerned with safer-sex and used it as a means to show that yes, there is more to life than simply worring about getting pregnant -- STDs are a big issue. Unfortnatualy, they're just not a big issue for Prime Time...

/of topic comment

------------------
Tim
Scarleteen Advocate

I am not Dr. Freud, nor is he on staff. The talking cure this ain't.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tim, for helping me hold up that sing. You know, I actually love the show, too, despite the ugly clothing and all... I just wish the writers would make the gals a bit more... RESPONSIBLE for themselves. Duh.

Btw, funny thing about that episode was that Carrie wonders about "Safer Sex for the heart" - someone send her over to Scarleteen! He.

Nuff about the tv now. Pack to the real topic. Just needed to vent and hijyacked the thread. Evil me.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-smoker, incidentally. My partner and I got into quite the argument over the Bond issue the other week.

A point I saw made after the kerfufel, was that out of the smoking, womanizing, drinking, car chases, fistfighting, gunplay, bomb use and swordfighting that's taken place, among many other things, in Bond movies over the years, it's the smoking that people get upset about.

The thing about smoking is that it's completely legal. Kids are killing themselves in illegal drag-races in increasing numbers. No one seems to care when James Bond chases someone down at 170 km/h.

If you want to make sure smoking is protrayed negatively in the movies, then get the laws changed to make smoking illegal. Until then, it's a fact of life that will people smoke, and that smoking can be depicted as just another part of life in the movies.

------------------
"Will you help him change the world? Can you dig it?"
"Yes I can!"
-Chicago, Saturday in the Park (Yeah, yeah. Shut up.)

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 12-10-2002).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because something's not legal doesn't mean that it's also not cool when shown in movies. I think the danger with showing smoking in the media is that when done too much it make it seem a lot more mainstream and socially acceptable than it really is. I think it's pretty clear that James Bond is a figure of fantasy, and honestly, I don't care what he does, but in general, portraying dangerous behaviour as though it were the norm seems foolish.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Why don't you find out for yourself?
Then you'll see the glass hidden in the grass

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Just because something's not legal doesn't mean that it's also not cool when shown in movies.

I know, and this is part of the point that I was making with the drag races. I'm not saying that smoking is good, and it should be encouraged, I'm saying that smoking is legal, and until that changes, it's going to be depicted in movies as just another thing that people do.

I'm saying that depicting illegal things unrealistically (like that drag racing movie that came out a while back) is what should really be condemned. If you want to say that having smoking in the movies is irresponsible, I think it's hypocritical to say anything other than smoking should be outlawed.

I don't think it should be, personally - I'm in favour of 'home' being the only place that cigarettes can legally be smoked - but that's a whole other story.

One other thing, Milke, if smoking constitutes 'dangerous behaviour', and I agree, it does, how does that disqualify it from also being 'the norm'? Smoking, at my university, seems to be the norm. Smoking among people my age in this city, is pretty much the norm, or very close to it. If everyone's doing it (or if, say, 5 per cent of the population's doing it), why shouldn't it be in the movies?

------------------
"Will you help him change the world? Can you dig it?"
"Yes I can!"
-Chicago, Saturday in the Park (Yeah, yeah. Shut up.)

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

It used to be pretty common to smoke just about everywhere; houses, planes, buses, malls, wherever, now it's mostly just done in private places, and smokers from office buildings congregate in the cold rather then doing it right where they work. Smoking in many places is illegal. It's also mostly accepted as normal behaviour in younger folks; most over-forty smokers I know aren't too happy with the habit, nor proud to display such an addiction (though if I recall right Quebec does have more smokers than other provinces, and the provincial laws on where you can do it tend to be a bit different there). It is a part of life for some people, but huddling in the cold just to be able to smoke, going out in the middle of the night to buy cigarettes, having a deep voice or cough from years of smoking, and dying from the habit are all part of that part of life too. I certainly don't think it should be banned in movies, just maybe shown a bit more realistically. Though certainly that's true for a lot of things beyond smoking.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Why don't you find out for yourself?
Then you'll see the glass hidden in the grass

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.