Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Myths of Facts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Myths of Facts?
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, we've all heard the myths and the actual facts of the myths. However, I often have a hard time straightening out the myths from the facts. So, I wanted to see if any of your knew the answers, seeing as you all seem to very intelligent.

#1. Sleeping without a bra, over a period of time, really allows your boobs to grow more than sleeping with a bra every night.
MYTH or FACT?

#2. Sleeping comando is actually healthy for a girl's genitals because it allows air flow.
MYTH or FACT?

#3. Teenage pregnancies have actually decreased since the 1990s, but more young people have STDs.
MYTH or FACT?

#4. Eating yogurt daily will increase the size of a girl's boobs because the fact in it goes to the boobs.
MYTH or FACT?

Feel free to add your own, but if you do, I suggest you make it to where people can distinguish yours from your answers.

and sorry if this is in the wrong section. [Smile]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hulder Folke
Neophyte
Member # 37016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hulder Folke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure all of those, save perhaps #2, are blatantly false. They're also fairly misogynistic. Why was it you felt the need to share these? Is this supposed to be constructive?
Posts: 8 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Folke, many girls dont know, as I obviously dont, and I just wanted to know the truth. Ya' know? [Smile]

But thanks.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not stupid to want myths cleared up, there are tons of myths that have been going around for ever (or at least long enough ago, that when I've asked my grandma she responds "people have been saying that since I was in school") Some of them are silly, I've believed many of them at different times. I've tried to sleep certain ways to improve my bust. Done handstands to make my period stop. I have a feeling I'm not the only person who believed these at one point. (I hope not!) So, it's cool.

Yogurt will not make your boobs any bigger-this is all up to genetics. (Neither will eggs, tomatoes, pasta, basil or any of the other things I've heard in just my short 19 years) I don't think sleeping in a bra will change it either.

I don't know for sure, and maybe I'll look it up for sure after finals, but I think teen pregnancy rates ARE lower than in 1990-they decreased for several years, but just recently have started to increase again.

I don't know about going commando at all. I do know that wearing cotton underwear is much better for you then synthetic fabrics because of air flow - so it's possible, but probably just a personal choice thing.

[ 04-29-2008, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Morgiana ]

Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hulder: The guidelines here at Scarleteen are set up in a manner that all posters may feel safe in posting thoughts and questions without worry about being judged or harassed. The user agreements you signed upon registering for this site clearly state, “When posting, you are expected to be respectful of your fellow posters and our staff, and to use language which is clear, which is not salacious or overly explicit, and which encourages intelligent, safe and mature discussion of the issues at hand. Name-calling, abuse or harassment of any staffer, volunteer or other user will result in an immediate termination of use without warning or explanation.”

In future posts it would really be appreciated if you could remember the golden rule and be courteous to other Scarleteen users. Typical began this post in hopes to get answers to some questions that she did not have answers to as well as to allow other users to do the same in the area of misconceptions (which happen to arise quote often in everyday life).

Additionally, I fail to see how any one of these questions for clarification on topics which others post about as well being an indication of a hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women (indeed the meaning of the word misogynistic).

[ 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Just to clarify, in Canada at least, according to Statistics Canada, the number of teen pregnancies HAS dropped in the last 15 years, and the amount of teens with STIs HAS gone up. So, speaking for Canada at least, number 3 is true.)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Leabug, and everyone else.

I keep hearing so many random things.

---------------------------------------------

Today I heard this one:

When your boobs are sore, it either has to do with your monthly or your boobs are growing.

I honestly dont know where these things are coming from; I suppose most of them are just misconceptions or close to that of rumors.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sore breasts could definitly be a hormonal thing, so that one does have a little fact to it. It's not a definite always, though. Sore breasts could also have to do with muscles and whatnot.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KylelovesBridget
Neophyte
Member # 38896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KylelovesBridget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do know (because i did teenage pregnancy for a school project, im in an academy that i have to do stuff like that) that in the U.S. the teenage pregnancy rates have dropped severely since 1992, but im not completely sure about STDs/STIs
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, teen pregnancy rates have been on a fairly steady decline, with only a few jumps up, since the 50's, and have usually been influenced by birth control advances, accurate information on BC and access to birth control. Young adult STI rates, however, have indeed been increasing, with particular jumps during the Bush administration.

Here's a good basic factsheet on teen STIs in the States here: http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/factsheet/fssti.htm

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67938 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.