Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Gumdrop Girl: Quarter-Life Crisis (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gumdrop Girl: Quarter-Life Crisis
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting the new thread on a good note. I'm not actually having a quarter-life crisis. I'm approaching 25 with my head up high and everything in my life falling into place.

Today, I started my new job. I'm an epidemiologist at the LA County health department, working as a contractor and earning about $24/hr. I work in food safety. I have a cubicle, and my hours are 8:30-5.

I am applying to medical school, or rather 42 medical schools. I just received my first secondary application today from George Washington University.

In the past 2 weeks, my boyfriend and I have begun making plans to marry. We're not engaged yet, but we're working towards it.

I just got back yesterday from a fabulous 10-day vacation in Thailand. I attended the royal funeral for my uncle's stepmother; both the QUEEN of Thailand and the Crown Princess presided over the ceremony, so I got to take a good long gawk at both from up close. I also found out that I have a cousin who is a soap opera star. My family tree is colorful.

Hmm, what else to say? Well, in case you're just tuning in... I'm 24 (going on 25), I live in Los Angeles. I work at the health department. I earned a master's degree in public health at USC where I did my thesis in STD health education. Before that, I went to college at UC Berkeley where I got my bachelor of arts degree in molecular biology and Southeast Asian studies. I'm 5'3", Asian, and I am into indie rock. My favorite TV show is 'The Simpsons' and my favorite food is Freedom Fries (hehehehe). I'm also a wine geek, like that guy from 'Sideways' only not so pathetic. I hang out on ST for fun because I really love health education.

Enjoy reruns? Read the prequel at http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum23/HTML/000162.html

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to keep reference to my job at a minimum because a lot of people get in trouble for blogging about work. but I will say the following:

Today, I was reading Yahoo!News and found a headline about one of the girls I lived with in my college dorm. Apparently, she's making waves as a fashion designer in Paris now and her fall line debuted to much applause.

I can't even begin to say how unfair the universe is. In college I busted my buns, studied day and night and spent many hours on homework. I was a bio major, so I took loads of science classes. What'd she do? Sorority Studies. I mean White Bourgeoise Women's Studies. I mean Women's Studies. And for all my failures and poor to mediocre grades, this girl graduated Phi Beta Kappa (with honors). she was your stereotypical rich sorority chick.

Now I'm living in a suburb in LA working a decent job at the health dept making a decent wage. She's gallavanting in Paris with some high profile artiste boyfriend designing clothing that only women as rich as her could possibly ever afford to wear.

Today I was working offsite in Beverly Hills, and I could help but feel utterly disgusted by all these overdressed rich people who apparently don't work 9-5 because they can be out shopping on a weekday afternoon. My dormmate was a lot like them, and that just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

I met Dr. Drew on Saturday. Dr. Drew is the doctor from Loveline, the radio show on KROQ (but syndicated nationally). He's a really cool guy. I asked him for professional advice. I want his job.

I'll be away for a bit because of career building stuff. Don't miss me while I'm out.

------------------

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept thinking about making a topic concerning some of the sexual health personalities these days, and Dr. Drew is one I've always respected, but his work has always seeme to me a little bit more adult than this board speaks to (not loveline so much, but other work he's done), like his show on Discovery Health I've taken to watching recently "Strictly Sex." It's really cool you got to meet him.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

i am so done with med school apps. i have a few secondaries left, but i think i should just drop them (University of Kentucky? wtf was i thinking???). the panic attacks and insomnia just ain't worth it. i have applied almost 30 schools, so it's not like i'm at a terrible loss to drop a few apps. work has got me tired. it's one outbreak after another. but at least they let us come to work in full costume on halloween. i just turned 25. i had a lovely time of it. lots of partying. things are going nicely on the boyfriend front. we had free tickets to Knotts Berry Farm, so we spent last Saturday there. i'm mostly scared of roller coasters, but i still had a good time. i am kinda sick of being a grown-up. all i do is sit in traffic and pay bills. i am waiting for the Harry Potter movie. i have begun to wear my hair in pigtails.

can you sense i'm tired? i'm really tired.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Last week, I attended my very first Red Carpet Premiere (this is LA, after all). My friend scored tix to attend the Aeon Flux premiere and I went with her. By some crazy strokes of luck, we ran into this woman she met at a concert. Turns out she was related to the movie director, so she gave us tickets to the after party. The movie itself was okay. I really wasn't looking forward to it because I was a huge fan of the Aeon Flux animated shorts. I was glad the movie did not suck. Could've been better, but it didn't suck (although opening box office figures speak otherwise). I got a good look at Charlize Theron. I totally dig the haircut she wore in the film. The after party was fun. I met the male lead and got a photo (to test drive my new digital camera). Free champagne and food. We sat at the director's table. That's just cool. I saw Peter Chung, the guy who created the original series.

If I'm gonna be suck in LA, I should live like it, right? hehehehe.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see and hear a lot of folks get bummed out when they see other people who are slimmer or buffer than they are. These people sigh and say, "I wish I could look like that." Then some of them go to extreme lengths to diet, train and so forth.

I wish that instead of comparing and competing with each other over looks and appearance, people would compete and compare with each other over intelligence.

You never hear a group of girls say, "Gosh, she can solve differential equations so quickly and effortlessly. I'll show her who can study harder at math!"

but wouldn't society be so much better if we DID hear that?

a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
a waist is a terrible thing to mind.

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was channel surfing, and the Cal caught my eye. I stopped clicking and to my horror, I noticed that the show was The OC.

Things wrong with this picture:
1. Mischa Barton? Berkeley? NO. Her character on the show does not have the sort of personality that could cope with being in a place like Berkeley. It really takes a certain brand of intellectual-radical-eccentric. Marissa Cooper ain't got the mettle to be a Golden Bear.
2. The student apartment depicted was not decrepit. All student apartments in Berkeley are decrepit and are on the verge of condemnation. If it's a new apartment, then rents probably $1800/mo and 5 people are living together. I didn't see dorms, but that's not surprising becuase they're small and hideous.
3. No Asians whatsoever. If you know ANYTHING about the University of California -- ESPECIALLY BERKELEY -- you will know that Asians are now the majority in the system and comprise significant chunks of the student population. But if there's one thing I learned about Berkeley, it's that there is a systematic marginalization of Asian Americans in the media, a product of institutionalized racism.

I'm gonna change the channel now. I was watching LATV before. I am becoming fond of television en espanol. That's good because I get two tiers of Spanish-language programming, but no CNN. Stupid cable company.

I also watch too much VH1 Classic. It makes me feel really old to see Pearl Jam and Soundgarden videos on VH1 Classic. But I watched 'Pop Show' a few nights ago, and they showed "All I Want" by Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Something About You" by Level 42 and "Take Me Home" by Phil Collins (guilty pleasure -- stop laughing!). It was like they threw darts at my CD collection and picked the most random songs. Good stuff.

I got 4 ours of sleep last night, so I should remedy that problem.

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you on the OC thing, Gumdrop.

I'm certain I'm not the only one who gets asked constantly if living in california is "like the OC". Yep. We all live in mansions and attend private school.

And ditto on Berkeley. I mean really, what the hell.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Well Lauren, I know you're not from Chino, but certainly you should have something to say about the Inland Empire and how it relates to that gawd-offal show.

Funny how no one on the show is staying local (UC Irvine, Chapman, Cal State Fullerton).

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
certainly you should have something to say about the Inland Empire and how it relates to that gawd-offal show.

I sure do.

*clears throat* Orange County is an overcrowded wasteland! Saying somebody's from Riverside is NOT equivalent to calling them a whore! (Yes, that was really a quote from the show! The nerve!). And lastly.. Newport Beach is a sewage dump! Most the damn beaches in the show were filmed in nicer parts of Mexico!

Alright, I'll give you your spot back. Thanks for letting me vent. I used to like that stupid show, but then it got to toxic levels of Stupid. I'll invent a vaccine yet.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Lauren, that made me LMAO [Cool]

Last week, I had dinner with my cousin at CPK in Newport. I hardly ever go to South County (as if they ever show North County on 'The OC' -- they were dumping on Brea once, and as if you'd ever see los barrios de Santa Ana or any Vietnamese folks around Westminster). Anyway, I digress. I was at Fashion Island with my cousin, and we passed by a valet line of Lamborghinis, Ferraris and BMWs. They were parked in front of **El Torito**!!!

If you have that kind of money to throw around on a car, why the hell are you eating at El Torito??? I mean, of all the chain pseudo-Mexican restaurants in Southern California ... criminy ... I did find a great chain Mexican restaurant in Corona -- On the Border -- at that big shopping complex off Cajalco Ave. Good food [Smile]

So there, I just dumped on South OC, and said something nice about the 951. Who knew?

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to COACHELLA, and it RAWKED!

Highlights: Depeche-freaking-MODE! they just kick *** and take names. Massive Attack plays So Cal for the first time in ten years. I am so glad I got to see them. Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and stellastarr* had me shaking my groove thang and rocking out like it was going out of style. Imogen Heap, good golly that girl is something. I'm crashing her show tomorrow in Pomona. James Blunt makes the girls swoon. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah made me clap my hands and say, "Yeah!"

Downsides: it was HOT outside, and I dang near melted. Madonna's crowd was impenetrable. Paul Oakenfold is boring. So are Sigur Ros (who I stayed to watch, instead of seeing Ladytron -- a choice I sorely regret). Allergies! I am allergic to all the dust, grass and smoke around Coachella. I couldn't wait to get back to LA for a breath of fresh air. How wrong is that statement!?!

Anyway, if I'm around these parts, you can bet I'm doing it all again next year.

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Just thought I'd leave you a note, Gummy.

No more worries about Barton's white butt waltzing to Berkeley. She died on the show. I'm thrilled.

They just better not bring her back. That storyline chunk is so worn out. [Smile]

[ 05-19-2006, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Amen to that! I would never wish death on real people -- just characters on crappy TV shows. Their ratings have been falling as of late, and it seems this'll probably kill the show once and for all. I wonder why Mischa got written off the show? Movie deal?

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Oh, yeah. She's dead. When a show plays "Hallelujah" in the background and shows flashbacks.. that's pretty irreversible.

No idea why they did it, though. Either way, a dramatic end to a needlessly dramatic character, no? She might be a decent actress, but I can't stand the character.

I hope it kills the show. I'm still steamed about the Riverside reference. Oooh.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

right now: i hate injustice. i hate racism. i hate liars. i hate that bad things are happening to good people. i hate the terrible things that are happening to someone i love. i hate the indignity. i hate unfairness. i hate vindictive people who have nothing better to do but hurt others. i hate their greed.

--------------------

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

Hope things turn around for you guys.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollipop89
Neophyte
Member # 29487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollipop89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gumdrop Girl, your work sounds so cool! How did you get interested in epidemiology? I've been working on a project for the Young Epidemiology Scholars Competition, and am just finding the whole field fascinating. I'd love to hear more about what you do!

And are you going to be starting med school? Wow, this is all awesome.

Posts: 26 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

lollipop, it's not often i run into people interested in epidemiology.

my work is in infectious disease epidemiology, primarily with foodborne, waterborne and a tiny few bioterrorism diseases. I do disease surveillance for the following diseases: listeria, brucella, toxoplasma, vibrio and a couple others. i receive morbidity reports from various facilities throughout los angeles county and track the numbers of cases, risk factors and so forth. i report on incidence rates. but my favorite part of this job is outbreak investigation. it's like CSI, but for food. it's summer, so this is the season for salmonella outbreaks.

i won't be starting med school this term. i am applying for next year, though. and if i don't get in, my life is ruined.

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

in other news, my life really sucks. i mean, it really sucks. Thais are so superstitious about the age 25. i'm not into superstition, but i should be. this year has been the royal SUCK. i mean suck beyond all suck.

my boyfriend is in jail. for child molestation. tomorrow, he will no longer be my boyfriend. i was willing to stand up for him against the molestation charges. he said he didn't do it. but yesterday, i found out he's been cheating on me for almost a year. gotta draw line somewhere. he's dead to me now.

so Miss Lauren, I'll no longer be hanging out in the 951.

i didn't get into medical school this year. i feel like i am overwhelmed at my job because i am so backlogged. i no longer have any confidence in my abilities and skills. the faith i had in our justice system has been shaken to its foundation. but worst of all, my faith in the man i loved is completely destroyed. i was with him for three years through a lot of hard times and we always pulled through. love is what kept me believing positively, and it kept me trying.

i need a fresh start. i hope i get into a Carribbean school so i can get the hell out of here.

--------------------

oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you all the luck with getting into the Carribbean school, if that is what you realy want.

I'm sorry things didn't work out as you wished with Med school.

Even more, I'm sorry to hear about your split with your boyfriend. Break-ups are harsh, especially when there is a long history behind the relationship that has failed.

Don't give up, though, Gumdrop. Everything may seem rough and overwelming right now, but it will get easier.

Try to take some for yourself right now, to process feelings. Get your head back on track.

Not getting into med school and at the same time gettng out of a relationship of 3 years absolutely can be overwelming.

Be sure to do something fo ryou, something to help you relax and back onto focus with other aspects of your life.

It will get better, I promise [Smile]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Holy crap, Gummy.

I'm so sorry to hear this all. It must be an awful blow to go through that with somebody you've shared so much with.

I know you can get into any medical school you want. Even from the IE, I can smell you sweating intelligence and strength!

I hear you on the Carribean though. I've been thinking of blowing off to Sweden or Finland myself. Free education, and away from here. And cold. Yay.

No, but on a serious note, you're an awesome, strong person, and this is only a temporary setback.. however altogether sucky.

I second Lea on finding time to screw your head back on and relax. You need to prepare yourself for a springback. Keep us updated, okay?

[ 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Well, I've resumed my med school applications. The AWESOME thing about AMCAS is that they stored all my info from my last round of apps. All I have to do now is polish my personal statement since very little has changed since last year.

Thanks for everyone's concern. I am still in a hellish patch right now, but at least I no longer feel like someone took a sledgehammer to my sternum. Problem is, I'm temporarily anorexic. It's not like I don't want to eat (I love food), but everytime I do, I want to throw up. So I have to force-feed myself little by little. I can drink juice, so that's been my primary source of glucose. Still, I've lost 7 lbs since Monday. Not good.

I visited him in jail because I thought he at least deserved to hear it in person. That, and I had a lot of questions to be answered. Never visited a jail before. It was a creepy place -- oddly enough in the middle of the Arts district. I'm still an emotional wreck, though. I have so many conflicting feelings. But I think I did the right thing. The other girl and I have been highly supportive of each other (it wasn't her fault -- she was duped like me).

--------------------

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gumdrop, I just read this now: I'm sorry about everything you're going though, I can't imagine how tough it is for you right now. I wish you the best of luck regarding your medical school applications.

[ 07-08-2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Things are good. I flew up to San Francisco on Thursday night (my flight was delayed for an hour! it's a 50 minute flight!!!), took Friday off work, obviously. I hit up the Nordstroms big sale and bought two pairs of the best-fitting jeans I have ever tried on in my life. House brand Caslon in 6 petite (I'm not tall). Perfect color, cut and style. No silly whiskers, pre-fab fade marks, or torn-worn patches. Just an honest-to-Bob good pair of jeans.

I went to the Ferry Building for lunch. Never been there before. Read about the Slanted Door in the NYTimes, so I wanted to try it. Those classist bastards refused to seat and serve me!!! Can you believe the nerve!?! So I went to the various market stalls, bought some French rice pilaf, steamed broccoli and an Italian sausage. I took it to the wine merchant's stall, sat at a table and told the sommelier to pair it appropriately. He brought me a tasting flight to match my meal. I was quite satisfied, and just chuffed to have a good time. And most of all, I was thrilled to be eating food again. Gourmet goodies are the cure for what ails you.

I saw the Foo Fighters that night, and i was awesome. Everlong gave me chills. I was skeptical about the acoustic tour because I like to see the Foos rock out, but I was definitely not disappointed.

Saturday, I helped a buddy sell her stuff in a yard sale and I bought us all pizza from the Cheeseboard. Yummy gourmet cheese pizza. Oh gosh, the Bay Area is a foodie's dream come true.

That evening, I went to dinner with a friend in North Beach (SF). We were celebrating her birthday. Then we went to the Bubble Lounge for champagne. I got all moody and withdrew from the party. Got to thinking about my guy problems. Then I simply fell asleep (I had been resting comfortably on a sofa).

Sunday, I did AIDS Walk SF. It was a GORGEOUS day in Golden Gate Park and I took some photos. I raised $100, but I mean to raise a total of $200 by the August deadline. 10k walk did not even make me tired. I must be really physically fit!

After AIDS Walk, my friend and I hit SFMOMA for two hours to admire the exhibits. Very cool.

I went back to the East Bay for dinner with another friend who celebrating her birthday. I stuffed myself on maguro sashimi, veggie sukiyaki, tempura and birthday cake. It felt good to eat again!

After supper, they dropped me off at SFO and I flew back to LAX. Incidentally, my parents had just gotten into LAX when I was waiting to board my flight. They had been vacationing in Thailand and were expecting me to pick them up. I told them I was in SF and had assigned my sister the task of picking them up. I rolled into my house around 1am. Slept. Made it to work bright and early.

--------------------

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Sounds like you've had a tough few months.

Best of luck with your career. [Smile]

--------------------
Save the environment - use your brain!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

if you have never listened to band MUSE, you really need to start. Saw them last night at the Greek Theatre in LA. Unbelievable!!! I haven't rocked out that hard in a long time!!! That was my third time seeing them, but first as a headliner. I started listening to them in 1999 when 'Showbiz' came out. I rescued it from the Amoeba Records $1 bin. Gorgeous music. Every album is amazing.

Just got their new one: 'Black Holes and Revelations.' It comes with a DVD of their performances at Glastonbury (that's on my checklist of things to do before I die) and other dates from the Absolution tour.

Anyway, MUSE are gods, and you must worship at the foot of their altar.

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

In other news, I uncovered an epidemic last week and it is eating me alive at work. Just a bit fat chunk of advice, folks: NEVER EAT RAW OYSTERS!.

Anyway, I've been handling a big caseload. I have been coordinating with other health departments to organize outbreak investigations. and I need to issue a memo to the State to give them a heads-up (I would have my boss do this, but she went on vacation). So I'm, like, being all professional and stuff.

I'm also forcing myself out of my suffering. Today's workout felt so dang GOOD! Just two weeks ago, my entire body was failing me. Now I feel ready to do a triathlon (well, let's not get ahead of myself). Tomorrow, I go to the clinic and get my test results. Probably negative. But who knows?

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

*beats head into desk*

criminy, i just got an earful from my mother on the phone. seems she has figured out that my sister is dating a FTM, and she's not happy with her daughter being gay. let it be known, i'm totally cool with my sister being gay. my mom, on the other hand, ain't so thrilled.

my sister is taking a job assignment in OC, so my mother has assigned me the task of being my sister's keeper. i told her to let my sister do whatever she wants. ferchrissakes, she's 27, it's about goddanged time she moved out of the house. after all, my parents didn't seem to have any prob letting me leave home at 17. granted, i agree that i don't want my sister jturning into a U-haul lesbian, but that's 'cause i believe that cohabitation is a step one should never take lightly. the rest of it, so what?!?

i hope my mother can hear my eyes rolling. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

The other night, I watched Beck perform in a tiny little night club. Couldn't have been more than 400 capacity. It ... was ... AWESOME! The new material is excellent. He played a lot of older material, too. But nothing from 'Midnight Vultures', nor did he play "Loser." I got free street parking directly across the street from the club, and this was just off Hollywood Blvd. I totally lucked out. Hell, I totally lucked out just getting those tickets! w00t!

Last night was Snow Patrol. They were quite good. I'd have liked them better, but compared to seeing Beck in a small dive, Snow Patrol at the Wiltern pales in comparison. Still, they played "Spitting Games" first, and that's my fave Snow Patrol song. It was a great show and I knew all the songs.

Tonight was supposed to be Wolfmother at the Palladium (meaning dinner of chicken & waffles at Roscoes!), but the show has been moved to December. Instead, I am doing decidedly UN-rock & roll house chores. Cooked a batch of pasta for two lunches. The laundry is drying finally (it's almost 11pm). Rhythm keeps the blues away.

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Yippee! It's my BIRTHDAY! I'm gonna do my laundry and then clean up for the party. I am excited for so many things.

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 10 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo! Happy Birthday, Gummy! [Big Grin]
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Gumdrop!
Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, happy birthday !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Smile]

And hope you have fun at your party! (or hope you had fun if it's already finished)

[ 10-21-2006, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.