Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » follow the bouncing strawberry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: follow the bouncing strawberry
ichigo fluff
Neophyte
Member # 24801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichigo fluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, everyone. i don't know if i have the UBB code right in my signature - i'm trying to make the font smaller - looks like i'll find out once i post this. i know i've had a username here before, but... i just really needed to change usernames and get rid of extra baggage. it's hard to explain. i am not hiding anything or pretending to be anyone else, i promise.

so hi. XD my name is dakota. i'm seventeen years old (18 in january), and i will be a senior this year. i'm looking forward to school starting, because i have AP english. i am a total geek for words and literature and poetry *flail* it's been so hard to read this summer, though. i have to read "beloved" or "the joy luck club" by the first day of school... don't know which to read. there are a few other choices but i don't feel like reading about prissy victorians.

i'm into astrology, in that i know my sun (capricorn), moon (libra), and rising (pisces), and even almost believe in what my horoscope says. :D it's accurate a lot.

i like japanese culture and language, but i'm not an otaku. (otaku bug me.) i'd really like to live in japan for a few years and teach the english language to high school students. guess we'll see if it pans out after college. i don't know if i'll have the patience for teaching. that and i'm transgendered, at least to some degree. it could be an issue.

today i realized i have a huge crush on avril lavigne. sad! :P

------------------
i feel like i'm chasing the guy from lucky charms.

[This message has been edited by ichigo fluff (edited 08-08-2005).]

Posts: 12 | From: badger state | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's 'cause I'm Asian-American, but I really enjoyed, and really related to 'Joy Luck Club.' Having the cultural background helps -- not many of my classmates understood a lot of the Chinese culture minutiae in the story and missed a lot of huge points in the story. I read 'Beloved' a few times -- once in AP English Lit., and then again in English 1B. It's great because Toni Morrison has an excellent way of using metaphors; shen ever comes across as cliche. AP English is pretty good considering college prep English at my high school barely required you to be literate. But because I'm pre-med, I still had to take two semesters of college English even though I scored well on the AP exams. As for prissy Victorians, I agree with you. I have a particular hatred of Kate Chopin.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ichigo fluff
Neophyte
Member # 24801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichigo fluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welp, "joy luck club" wasn't available at the library, so i went and checked out "beloved". no victorians for me. i think it was actually only one victorian novel - "pride and prejudice" - but that is PLENTY. it was just so dry from what i read... blah!

my friend jimmy came over yesterday. it's funny, 'cause he was looking through our old video games. and when i say "old" i mean like... sega genesis old. dynamite heady and dr robotnik's mean bean machine stuff. i'd forgotten about them, but when he pulled them out i got all squealy. we actually wound up using the playstation though, because i don't know if our sega really is hook-up-able.

eep, i have to work today, but only for 2 hours. weird. i work at subway. it's fun. i'm a little green though.

------------------
i feel like i'm chasing the guy from lucky charms.

Posts: 12 | From: badger state | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wanna talk old video games? I have an original Atari in my downstairs cabinet; complete with pong and little joystick.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lila
Neophyte
Member # 24906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to second that vote for Joy Luck Club, as it is a very good book, and not a difficult read. You might like it better since you don't seem to be all that excited about stuffy Victorian-era writing. Does your library do inter-library loans? If they do, they can try to find another library in your area that has the book, and get it for you.

Oh, by the way, I'm 17 and going to be a senior, too. It's scary. I feel like I was a freshman yesterday, how about you?

------------------
--Lila (no, not the Oasis song--stop singing! augh! *covers ears and runs away*)

Posts: 6 | From: NH, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.