Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » 'rin's corner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'rin's corner
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 2 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since it seems that i actually am sticking around on these boards, contrary to my usual habit of hanging around for awhile then bouncing on to the next place, i think i'll introduce myself a little better.
i'm a 22 year old recent graduate from suny purchase with a mostly useless anthropology degree that i don't regret - i'll do something with it eventually i hope. i'm currently living with my guy and his mother while i appartment hunt, which is taking longer than i expected mostly through my stuborn refusal to hire a broker. first months rent and security is already to darn expencive, darnit, i'm not paying more on top of that. i just recently got promoted to associate manager at the waldenbooks i started working in durning my freshman year, because my boss got promoted to district manager. but her office is still in my back room, so my staff has the deaded district manager visit on a daily basis. lots of stressful fun, but at least it gives them insentive to do their work. i love my job, but am kind of distressed that it is turning into a career - i only meant it to be a day job while i figured things out, now i have a salary and insurance and stock options and a retirement plan. its good i guess, but not where i thought i was headed. but i do like the bookstore, i think i read 4 novels some weeks, i dont' know what i'd do w/out my employee discount - probably default on my loan payments. outside of work i can often be found playing pool, which i'm just good enough at to not be a total handicap when playing doubles. i mostly make up for my misses with occational 4 ball runs and play a nastily defencive game of 9 ball. i love the game but it doesn't love me back, i guess. i'm also something of a video gamer, at the moment i'm struggling through crash bandicoot, which is fun and easy until you realize that in order to beat the game fully, you need to beat each board w/out dying and get every single box. kind of frustrating, but then again the game only uses 2 buttons, so my hands aren't pretzled after hrs of playing like with some more complex games. i'm a total caffeine addict - coffee being my fav poison - and if the beans aren't rosted black i can at leat tell what continent they were grown on, often times getting the country right, too. i spent a summer working 80 hr weeks once, and a really good coffee shop was half way between the two jobs, so i picked up a lot of coffee trivia along with my daily jolt of caffeine. like lighter roasts have more caffeine than dark ones, or that african beans have a fruiter taste. i'm usually a bit of a lurker online, a habit dating back from when i figured out my dad's compuserve password on our comadore 64...i loved the message boards there but knew my dad would catch me if i posted anything. (not to mention the other users noticing, i think i was about 7 years old.) but as you can see, once i start talking on a board i am far from quiet.
another thing - i have to get up at 5am tomorrow to get to work, and it's 1:10ish now. i think i'll go to sleep.,....
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-ben franklin

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A woman after my own heart.

I've always found Yonkers to be a rather peculiar name. Is it a peculiar place?

------------------
Rap music: keeping the black man down since 1991

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThisGuy:
I've always found Yonkers to be a rather peculiar name. Is it a peculiar place?

If I recall correctly, Yonkers is a town just northeast of New York City. I was there in September of 1990 and all I can remember is it was raining like I had never seen before (SoCal is a desert, ya know!) and we dashed into "Uncle Joe's Pizza Parlor" for some refreshments. I don't remember exactly where Uncle Joe's Pizza joint was, but I remember it was either on or near a street called Ashburton Way. That stuck out in my mind since I had a friend with that last name at the time.

Oh yeah, and that was some goooood pizza, by the way. Eleven years and I've never had any that compares.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup, you remember correctly. it is a weird place. i like in a very irish neighborhood - the place down the street has a waitstaff with irish accents and the catholic school has more students than the public one. it's kind of neat b/c the streets here are narrow and windy and curvy and when i first came here it actually reminded me of cork county ireland, so the fact that it's an irish neighborhood really made my day.

i had a terrible day at work today.....i got our weekly sales figures for last week and i have some really great people and some complete deadweight...and no one in the middle. and one of the deadweight people is the employee that has been with the store the longest, who i happen to have a pretty good relationship with, and who i would be friends with outside of work. i dont want to fire her but in order to get rid of the rest of the deadweight so that i can get through the holiday season in one piece i'm going to have to, and it's driving me nuts. thank goodness for my assistant manager, he's just about the only one keeping me sane. i mean, my guy listens but he's not at work with me, ya know? now i know why most managers get moved to a new store for their first few months - being a new manager means you almsot have to be a total hardnose, and it's not easy to do that to former coworkers.
damnit i'm not used to my schedule yet, it's way to early to sleep but i think maybe i should.
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-ben franklin

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 2 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something to add to my growing list of lessons learned:
*if they're paying you a salary, it takes more than 40hrs a week to do the job.
and so, since i will be getting up at 5am again and working all day...i should probably sleep
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm driving my guy crazy while i try to adjust to this promotion. i have to be super corinne at work, i really can't afford to break down there, but i'm all frayed aroudn the edges and it gets expressed at home. i hate not knowing what i need to do, what's expected of me. today 2 of my employees called out, one sick and the other came in 4 hours late. that left me in the store from 7am to 6:30pm with no real lunch break. bah. but i must like my job on some level, someone tried to recruit me for an office job today and i said no. it's just that this readjustment period stinks.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When your head is rather numb.
And you're feeling really dumb.
When work is never fun.
Something-something crun.
Then don't get too upset.
Or you'll start a war like Tet.
And then where will ya be, anyway?

Errrr...poetry isn't my thing. I do a good line in consoling phrases though! "There, there. It's alright."

Hope that helps.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

i dunno, it was definatley good for a smile, which i needed. thanks!
i had a decent day today, probably b/c the only people i worked with today are the one's i actually like, and that i got some sleep last night, and that i ate breakfast. unfortuanately i can't always only work with the good ones, but breakfast and sleep i can controll. maybe if i manage at least one of the two every day i'll be in a better mood.
grar tho i have to get up at five am tomorrow. i hate five am. it's entirely too early, but oh well.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

note to self - the color on the box does not equal the color on my head. i meant to have nifty deep dark red hair. i have anime charactor cherry red. fun but not what i wanted, and not reall professional. oopse.

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

my assistant manager want's to dye his hair silver now. great. now neither of us will be taken seriously, but at least i won't be weird alone. there's something to be said for having a management staff that is all your age, i guess. (my assistant manager is about 2 weeks older or younger than me, i forget which, and my new keyholder is the same age too)
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

must remember to paint more. i used to watercolor, a lot, but i haven't found the time much lately. and i'm low on paper and it's expensive - i took a class where they made us use the really good stuff and now i just don't like the cheap paper anymore, there's cool stuff you can't do with it. i was just making a silly sign for work today, and i ended up playing with my paints for like 2 hours. so now i have a really nifty lord of the rings sign, lol. i need inspiriation to paint, tho, or i just end up painting flowers over and over b/c i know they come out well. maybe i should get my guy to pose for me...he sits pretty still playing video games,.....hm....
i think i may go do just that.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...the "slouched, viciously stabbing at buttons" pose is seen so rarely in art museums. You could be the creator of a whole new style of art!

The Nintendo school of art could be world famous in 80 years or so - you might even beat out those silly Impressionists. Waterlilies and bridges, my *** !

------------------
Rap music: keeping the black man down since 1991

sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To avoid taking the crossdressing thread off topic, I'm going to post over here. hope you don't mind

Weather in Buffalo right now seems to be in the 30s or 40s, with lots of wind. We had 70 degree weather on Friday, and about ten flakes of snow yesterday (Saturday).

Weather across the rest of WNY when my mom tried to visit Friday was sleet and slushy ice on the road, so she didn't come.

So it sounds like WNY in general is slightly worse off than usual; since this is my first semester in Buffalo, I can't really say whether the weather in the city is normal.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

lolololololol thisguy. and saphirecat, that sounds normal to me, the sick part is that i miss it for some indiscernable reason.
realized today that i have a niftily diverse staff. worked a late shift with a born again in jesus type and a tantric taoist buddist. and talked intelligently about religion while we worked. i love the fact that althoug i have a small staff they're a very diverse lot, and that we all get along so well. my christian assistant manager and my pagan reciever get along swimmingly with my buddhist bookseller and my rastafarian sr bookseller. i love my store.
when i haven't been there for over twelve hours at least.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

had a hamster day today. you know those hamsters in their weels who run and run and run and never get anywhere? that was my day. i don't like being a hamster. next time i get a pet hamster i'll buy it one of those clear bubbles so it can run around my apartment and actually get somewhere instead of a weel to run in, that's for darn sure.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

my bosses sister was in jane this month. the interview starts out "penelope tuesade (not her real name, not her real boobs)..." of course i had to call my boss when i noticed it. 'hey kristy, your sister was in jane!' it was a rather surreal moment. i gues you never expect to open a mag and find your bosses sister talking about sex.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

That sounds disturbing...

But just imagine how he feels! I'd hate to see an article about my sisters views on sex. Scary.

------------------
Proof that evolution stopped working a long time ago.

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

i have a staff of overgrown children. which is not a bad thing. except when we get about 8 boxes of really soft, really throwable teddy bears...and my assistant manager and my reciever and i decide to open said boxes...and realize how throwable the bears are...and my district manager decides to come into the store to tell us taht out of all the stores in the district she's chosen ours to show off the the company president...and she opens the door of the back room to tell us this....and gets a teddybear in the face. i think i'm lucky my boss likes me lol.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

must learn when to stop once i start cooking/baking. was making bananna bread to take to my staff meeting tomorrow...and made apple turnovers...and white chocolate bread pudding...and cherry tarts...and cinimon sticks. oopse.
oh well, all is well because i caught the golden snitch! gund makes golden snitches for 2.50 each. very cute little golden hackysacks with irridecent wings. must remember to reorder those b/c i think my staff bought them all......
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

nevermind. i'm so braindead right now that i don't even have anything to say.
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

monstes inc is definatley a cool movie. nevermind the screaming rug rats - i loved the show. 'glad my guy is just as much of an overgrown kid as i am, so i didn't have to drag him. they really are getting better at computer animation, the hair on sully was amazing, especially when he was lying in the snow, it had a few really photo-realistic moments. and the story has a few layers to it, it's not just a kiddie picture. but i do suggest borrowing someone's kids if you don't have any and want to see it - the ticket guy looked at us really weirdly lol.
i'm finally starting to get a handle on things at work;....except my company's president is comming by in about 10 days. ouch. out of all the stores he could visit he has to pick mine. but i think my staff is up to it, i hope so anyway.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

note to self - putting off wisdom tooth removal was a bad idea. i want to rip one of them out with a pair of pliars, i think it would hurt less. baby teething formula oragell helps a little. but you're only sposed to put it on 4 times a day and i want to put it on every hour. ick.
'rin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

i have my advance tics to harry potter the movie, horay! i am such an overgrown kid lol
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Hope the wisdom tooth sees the error of its ways.

I had mine out the start of last year - it wasn't too bad. The trick is to either get total anaesthetic, or just to try not to think about him using a crowbar to tear your teeth out. (I chose the latter...)

*Creates a fear of dentists in everyone he meets*

------------------
Cars for everyone!
For the penisless, inbred redneck in you!
For the penisless, psychotic, imbecilic executive in you!
For the mindless idiot in you!

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

gee...thanks for giving my overactive immagination that particular picture...i think i'll go cancle my appointment now lol. oh well, when i'm being grumpy cause my teeth hurt my staff behaves a lot better so i spose there's a brite side to it.
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

company..president...comming...tomorrow......ahhhhhhhhh
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

bah.i ran around like a mad woman all week and ran my staff ragged and the bigwigs only stopped in for 20 min. bah.
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

i truely hate the fact that i can't go home for thanksgiving this year. i thought i was ok with it, but the fact that i just had a crying jag in the grochery store while trying to remember what my aunt velda puts in her stuffing leads me to believe that i'm not ok with it. but it's too late to juggle things to get there so i guess i'm stuck. bah. i hate growing up.
'rin

'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

i found a new favorite toy, blogger. it lets me pretend that i can acutally use htlm, which is pretty funny as far as i'm concerned. feel free to check out my site, although not all of the links from it may be approprate (please don't click on the link for nerve and hold me accountable, it's an 18 and older site). www.inhabitcorners.blogspot.com

on a completely unrelated note, saw the parade in person today. very sureal after watching it on tv all these years, but i have to say that i enjoyed myself
'rin

------------------
-james, off millionaires
-ben franklin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.