Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Need some honest advice!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some honest advice!
Uhohh
Neophyte
Member # 110024

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Uhohh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Saturday night, I had sex with my boyfriend for the first time. We were safe, in that we used a condom. I checked the expiry date of it before and we were completely fine! But, the next morning I was thinking about it and I realised I'd had that condom in my handbag for quite a few months. It was in a pocket to the side, but I'd also been putting in and taking out things like keys into the same pocket. I asked my boyfriend whether there were any tears and was relieved when he told me no, but I can't help but feel worried! What do you think the chances are that the condom failed, even though we used it correctly and it was in date? I'm worried it failed, and now I'm stressing out about getting my period, which is due in around a week. Please reply, I really need some honest advice rather than my friends telling me I'll be fine just to make me feel better!
Posts: 9 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi uhoh,

As long as the condom did not break or come off, you can assume it did it's job in preventing pregnancy.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvergirl_sailing_on
Activist
Member # 110025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvergirl_sailing_on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add to what Sam has said, if it maybe puts your mind at rest now or in future, in the majority of cases, if a condom breaks, it really breaks. If they have been weakened in an area and break, they tend to split much further than the original tear. This may seek like a silly suggestion but if you can pick up another free one or have one handy, try taking it out and experimenting with what it takes to break it. Stick a pin in it then stretch it. Or stretch it then stick a pin in it. Think about sticking a pin in a blown up balloon- latex stretched over air rather than latex stretched over a penis- if you stick a pin in it, the whole thing shatters. You can't miss a balloon bursting. I don't want to say that you don't need to take care of your condoms- you absolutely should and it seems like you do know that anyway- but condoms can withstand a fair amount and are very well tested at high pressures. Hope you're feeling a bit less anxious about the whole thing.

--------------------
~Ciara

"Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine, all your dreams are on their way."

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.