Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Best condoms for a nervous first timer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best condoms for a nervous first timer
Secret62
Neophyte
Member # 108270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secret62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm 19 and have been with my boyfriend for almost 3 years and although we've done basically everything else, vaginal intercourse is the one thing we have yet to do. We both waited until we were ready, and we've ready for quite some time now. It's mainly due to circumstance (and the fact we're both in our first year of university and rarely alone long enough) that we haven't done it yet. But partly also because of nervousness. We are very much so ready, that isn't the problem.

It's just that we are obviously not ready in any way shape or form for babies so we'd like to avoid that. I know we'll get over it eventually but for now it's really our only issue. To alleviate some of that nervousness I've been on the mini pill since August. Because we're so nervous though, is there any suggestion for the best condom to use for two first timers? I've heard bad things about those with spermicide on them, but I've kind of been thinking about either those "for her" ones or just regular lubed Trojans.

Any advice?

Posts: 4 | From: An island in the North Atlantic | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure: try them all, see what you like. Who knows? You might even have fun in the process. If you're shy about going down to the grocery store's family planning aisle to pick some up condoms, order them online. In my experience, I've found that online condom companies have a wider variety than those found at your local grocery store. They can ship confidentially and if you buy in bulk, they can be a real deal.

Besides those two options, there are plenty more. Do you or does your partner go to college? Usually the student health center offers free condoms. Or check your local Planned Parenthood; they teamed up with Proper Attire condoms a while back and they offer a whole selection of types, like sheer, ribbed, flavored, etc.

If there's a Whole Foods or natural foods store around, you might even want to pop in there and see if they have vegan condoms and other types of contraceptive items that are effective and earth-friendly. It's all really up to you, your sense of adventure, and budget. So go have fun exploring.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret62
Neophyte
Member # 108270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secret62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we're both in university! Thanks, I'll have a look around!
Posts: 4 | From: An island in the North Atlantic | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ordering online also often comes with the benefit of being able to get a sample pack: one or two each of several types of condom, so that you can try out a bunch of different types without having to buy whole boxes of each kind.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.